2016 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, Thu 26 – Sun 29 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2016 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, Thu 26 – Sun 29 May

GrayGreat wrote:
Shakeman wrote:
F1NAC wrote: Lewis should at least thank Rosberg on the podium. I doubt that Lewis would've done same while he's leading the champ. and BTW there arent any breaks on the car only BRAKES.

Nevertheless good run on ultra softs for lewis
When Lewis has been asked to get out of the way of Nico all he has insisted is that Nico at least makes an effort to get past and Lewis not have to slow down and lose time which is fair enough IMO.
Rosberg could easily have held Lewis behind had he not slowed down. So Rosberg slowed down and lost time, even if it was small amount. And try to give credit where it's due.
This would be the point you would be accusing others of being "butthurt". So, how is your butt? :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

justmoi
justmoi

FrukostScones wrote:
justmoi wrote:One thing I'm not quite getting even watching the race a second time, Lewis pitted being just ahead of Daniel. Daniel pitted soon after and lost an extra 13.5 seconds in the pits. Total pit time was in the high 35s. Lewis was on slicks but barely just got past Daniel as he was coming out. How/why?

Only thing I can think of is Lewis must have had some serious excursions on his first flying lap on slicks
I think you have to compare the laptimes..
HAM s ourt lap was kind of slow with th US slicks and RIC set new personal best on his in lap on Inters...
Yes I agree with that. BUT still Ric was stationary for about 14 seconds! On top of the usual pit loss time

justmoi
justmoi

GPR-A wrote:
justmoi wrote:One thing I'm not quite getting even watching the race a second time, Lewis pitted being just ahead of Daniel. Daniel pitted soon after and lost an extra 13.5 seconds in the pits. Total pit time was in the high 35s. Lewis was on slicks but barely just got past Daniel as he was coming out. How/why?

Only thing I can think of is Lewis must have had some serious excursions on his first flying lap on slicks
I couldn't see any visual of that either, but next lap after pitting, Lewis' lap was a 1m41.829!!! He did 1m30.486 after that lap. Either he was stuck in bad traffic or had a moment somewhere to lose 11 seconds.
Yes he must have had a terrible first flying lap on the slicks. He after all pitted from being ahead of Ric.

I only saw replays of him going over a bump and minor lock up but nothing seen that would explain why after all that time loss for Ric Lewis was barely just in front when Ric re joined

ismail1991
ismail1991

GPR-A wrote:

I couldn't see any visual of that either, but next lap after pitting, Lewis' lap was a 1m41.829!!! He did 1m30.486 after that lap. Either he was stuck in bad traffic or had a moment somewhere to lose 11 seconds.
Hamilton made a mistake at that lap. They showed the replay of it. He couldn't make the corner 15(the corner Verstappen crashed at the quali) and jumped on top of the kerbs. There, he lost some time.

Edax
Edax

Great race.

Although HAM got the lead handed on a platter he drove a great race. Interestingly I think he was the only one to go for this tire strategy. That takes some confidence and guts when you're fighting for a championship.

RIC No doubt he should have won. But he didn't...., and that's racing.

PER, brilliant run by what I consider the most underrated guy on the grid. I never understood why Mclaren ditched him.

ROS. Wonder whether he gambled on a dry setup. That car was absolutely nowhere.

MAX tough lesson, and he should not do this too often. However it is easier to get someone fast to become more reliable than visa versa.

ALO, BUT. I think this shows that there is more than just the engine. That car simply does not behave through corners.

iotar__

"Ricciardo's tyres trapped at back of garage" http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b ... ge-741863/ Horner's explanations are flabbergasting, they went for softs but changed their mind to tyres that were impossible to fetch in time. They don't know where tyres are or time cost? Sounds even better than Rosberg Hungary '15.
- But despite believing there was enough time to get the tyres ready, the situation became complicated when it emerged those tyres were trapped at the back of the cramped Monaco garage
- We know how hard it is in Monaco to overtake and effectively the race was lost at that pitstop.
So where was the advantage of that change of mind since it's so difficult to overtake? When you think about it softs would not be a bad choice had Ricciardo stayed in front without 10 s lost at pitstop.
- We have softs ready
- No, fetch those SS trapped instead
- Huh why?
- It's impossible to overtake stupid!
This pseudo sport is not even funny anymore.

The_table

In hindsight softs might have been better, since he had to save tyres at the end...

aral
aral

iotar__ wrote:"Ricciardo's tyres trapped at back of garage"
Both sets of tyres were at the front of the garage , with mechanics at each set read to spring into action. The team were mulling as to which was the best set to fit, but the decision was not relayed to them due to a radio malfunction or someone forgetting to press the transmit button. There was therefore confusion when Ricciardo stopped. Neither team was informed of which one was to be used, so nobody moved. A simple mistake

edit. i see horner is now saying that one set of tyres was indeed at the back of the garage, so i stand corrected. kravitz had already stated they were at the front !

SectorOne

Absolutely brutal race for Ricciardo, he drove so well all weekend.
As did Hamilton on the wets it has to be said.

And Perez....you give him just a hint of a podium and he takes it, every single time.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Phil

Monaco is always so cruel. Last year Hamilton, this year Dan. I absolutely feel for Dan. At least he lost the race to a driver of a differenf team, not his team mate (as he did in Barcelona, or last year Hamilton to Rosberg). Considering this is one of the races Redbull should have made it count, it's especially cruel. It will be great to see how close they are now after this race. At the very latest, Singapore might be another track where Redbull could be favorits - assuming Mercedes still have trouble on that track.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Phil

The_table wrote:
FrukostScones wrote: Max Verstappen showed with his overtakes that he can do it. Crash is just result of immature overzealousness.
How many people crashed this race? even vettel was nearly in the wall at the same place...
Max crashed 3 times. And last year. I am sorry, but together with his hot headedness and aggression he has shown again and again and again - this yet another crash was very predictable.

No doubt, he will learn from this, but today was a nice demonstration of why Redbull should be careful not to upset RIC or lay all their eggs in Verstappens basket by fueling the hype wagon even more. Yes, i think Max has a lot of potential, given his age, but he also must be careful not to go the path of young-Grosjean or Maldonado, especially now that he is in a top team and there is a responsibility to bring in the results... or the hype might evaporate, especially compared to a supreme driving team mate in Dan who isnt that much older. Helmut in the garage wasnt pleased at all - and there was no one to blame but Max himself.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

piast9
piast9

ismail1991 wrote:Hamilton made a mistake at that lap. They showed the replay of it. He couldn't make the corner 15(the corner Verstappen crashed at the quali) and jumped on top of the kerbs. There, he lost some time.
Yes, but that single mistake was not worth te time Hamilton lost at his outlap. I suspect he had trouble with getting heat into these tyres. He struggled after each restart. I think that he cooled down the tyres on the wet pit exit and had no grip until he managed to warm them up again.

WaikeCU

One thing about the race that amazed me was how Lewis made those Wets work lap after lap, when the competition behind were charging on Inters. I was thinking Ricciardo would sail pass him on those Inters, but somehow Lewis pull some distance away when it mattered.

Juzh

One other thing. mercedes didn't walk away from red bull in the tunnel, so that's good news.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Thats Monaco, it is more about handling, then tyre grip alone. The only hi speed corners are in the last sector and hard acceleration/braking around the tunnel part. The guy in front was quickest all the time during the wet period.