2016 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, Thu 26 – Sun 29 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Gettingonabit
Gettingonabit

Re: 2016 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, Thu 26 – Sun 29 May

piast9 wrote:.....................Yes, but that single mistake was not worth te time Hamilton lost at his outlap. I suspect he had trouble with getting heat into these tyres. He struggled after each restart. I think that he cooled down the tyres on the wet pit exit and had no grip until he managed to warm them up again.
I agree, the most likely reason.

SectorOne

Juzh wrote:One other thing. mercedes didn't walk away from red bull in the tunnel, so that's good news.
Canada should be the perfect track to show just how much closer Renault is to Mercedes in pure horsepower and driveability.
Driveability though seems really good from what i could see.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dans79

I too am looking forward to Canada. I'm just hoping for the first time this season all the championship contenders have a clean weekend.
197 104 103 7

Unc1eM0nty

Rosberg hasn't mentioned any issues with the car, just says he's baffled by the lack of pace he had.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24207/ ... -monaco-gp

Phil

Full marks to Rosberg for complying. Had he not, i think both Mercedes would have finished way down the order...

On the other hand, i do wonder if he was somewhat parallized by fear of crashing (and not helped ny Lewis being aggressive behind). Hamilton drove like on fire and a man on a mission after that with nothing to lose...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

piast9 wrote:
ismail1991 wrote:Hamilton made a mistake at that lap. They showed the replay of it. He couldn't make the corner 15(the corner Verstappen crashed at the quali) and jumped on top of the kerbs. There, he lost some time.
Yes, but that single mistake was not worth te time Hamilton lost at his outlap. I suspect he had trouble with getting heat into these tyres. He struggled after each restart. I think that he cooled down the tyres on the wet pit exit and had no grip until he managed to warm them up again.
Basically Ricciardo lost 10 seconds in the pits and somehow was right behind Hamilton who pitted the previous lap from ahead of him. So Hamilton had to have lost 10 seconds as well basically, I did wonder if he had a little spin that somehow went un-noticed. Even extremely bad tires with little grip shouldn't be 10 seconds a lap slower.

Huge mistake for Merc to put both cars on Ultras. It's freaking Monaco, track position and getting to the end, with ultras neither car could go particularly fast. Putting them out on tires that could last was the major priority but softs of supersofts had a better operating window considering the cooler conditions and partially wet track. Considering Rosberg had trouble getting the wets, then inters working it should have been fairly obvious the ultras would be harder to get working than the softs and while they predicted the tires could last they didn't know. It was an needlessly risky and counter intuitive decision considering the conditions.

Hamilton almost lost the win because they put him on the wrong tire, no bad pitstop for Ricciardo and the race was his, that pitstop saved that woeful tire decision and even then Hamilton had more heating up issues that put him under way more pressure. Softs/supersofts, that win was in the bag even if Ricciardo had a normal pitstop imho. It almost cost Hamilton and should have but for RBR screw up, it did cost Rosberg but not by all that much, he would have still come out 6th, but he wouldn't have lost out to Hulk at the end.

FoxHound

Phil wrote:
The_table wrote:
FrukostScones wrote: Max Verstappen showed with his overtakes that he can do it. Crash is just result of immature overzealousness.
How many people crashed this race? even vettel was nearly in the wall at the same place...
Max crashed 3 times. And last year. I am sorry, but together with his hot headedness and aggression he has shown again and again and again - this yet another crash was very predictable.

Why not level greater criticism to a 36 year old former world champion, who not only crashed, but drove with a wing stuck under the nose of the car?
Seems a bit strange bashing an 18 year old for "aggression and hot headedness", looking to push on in tricky conditions, at Monaco of all places.
JET set

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Apparently there is an agreement in place:
"There is an agreement between the Mercedes team and the drivers that if one of them is off the pace and affecting the other's chance of a win, then he will let him by."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36410001
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

Interesting, I bet it bothers Nico more that he was so off the pace than it does giving up the position.

This could be a real turning point in the season, if Lewis has a run of luck and good form, and RBR is close.
197 104 103 7

nim_peter
nim_peter

Looks like Rosberg had the same issue which Hamilton faced last year in a wet race, not sure which one. If I remember correctly, Rosberg was 2nd and was closing down on Hamilton by 3-4 secs per lap, then Lewis made a crucial pitstop which earned him first place. There was another car who gained a lot in that race, Vet? and all others lost lot of time just going around for one lap to switch to dry tyres.

Phil

FoxHound wrote:Why not level greater criticism to a 36 year old former world champion, who not only crashed, but drove with a wing stuck under the nose of the car?
Seems a bit strange bashing an 18 year old for "aggression and hot headedness", looking to push on in tricky conditions, at Monaco of all places.
Because it was predictable and it's becoming an habbit. Not that i am amazed by Kimi's efforts today, but Kimi hasnt been as much in the press as 'wonderboy' who crashed here 4 times in 2 years (not to mention the other venues where his aggressiveness have nearly ended in crashes). I think Kimi is on his way out sooner than later, especially if Ferrari faces yet another difficult year, changes will be made. Which will make things interesting given Rosbergs contract is up for renewal... (and then there is also Dan who's contractual deal is less than public and clear).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

mrluke
mrluke

From my reading of the highlights, the decision to stay out on Wets was hamiltons as the team clearly wanted him to pit.

Massive call and a thoroughly deserved win because of it.

Feel for Ricciardo though, looked absolutely gutted.

iotar__

nim_peter wrote:Looks like Rosberg had the same issue which Hamilton faced last year in a wet race, not sure which one. If I remember correctly, Rosberg was 2nd and was closing down on Hamilton by 3-4 secs per lap,
It was different:
A. in GB '15 Rosberg was closing by on average ~ 1,2 s per lap (AFAIR) but Hamilton was still quick compared to Williams, Ferrari etc. Similar in USA '15 and other way round in Japan '14.
B. when conditions (tyres etc.) changed it equalised itself.
Here N.R. was slower not only than Hamilton but also McL and FI and it lasted the whole race in different conditions.

Hamilton didn't deserve this win:
- he deserved starting place at least 3 place lower after poor driving in Spain
- he didn't deserve team orders after Hungary '14, anyone who likes this win and was fine with Merc losing one in Hungary is a hypocrite starting with Hamilton himself. Rosberg was slow? So what, overtake him on track yourself.
- he didn't deserve Red Bull screw up because Ricciardo deserved to be in front. (Pure speculation) If i were to guess which Ricciardo's "screw up by a team" was on purpose and not a mistake I would say Barcelona. There was a purpose (record, hype), cost not that big - still RB's win, rare opportunity and it was better concealed. Monaco was too obvious, after Spain and not worth it. Both could have been honest mistakes of course, don't care.

Yurasyk
Yurasyk

Ferrari strategists have done a "great" job again when Vettel got stacked behind Massa. And then they missed the proper moment for slics. Anyway, it costs only three points in this meaningless lost championship.

Jolle
Jolle

During the first part of the race I was really shouting to the tv to pit ham to inters when he was stuck behind ros. I thought that they would finish midfield with that strategy at the moment.

Brilliant race!

Looks like Ham is switched on again (in fairness, he was never switched off, it was mostly his car this season) and I think Ros just couldn't get the car in the right operating window in the rain. Prob just a one off