2016 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, Thu 26 – Sun 29 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
cmF1

Re: 2016 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, Thu 26 – Sun 29 May

While the majority of this thread is on topic, can you please stop reporting posts you don't agree with. This also includes down voting posts purely because you don't like someone's opinion on the forthcoming race.

Any more petty remarks at each other and we will have to lock the thread. Come on guys, play nice.
プラスとマイナス

PlatinumZealot

f1316 wrote:So the fastest ever lap was 1:13.532 in Q2 2006 by Kimi.

Lewis' pole last year was 1:15.098.

With the ultra softs and kind of lap time improvements we've seen so far this year, I think there's no doubt we see a new fastest all-time lap.

At an historic venue like this, that'll be a pretty cool thing to see.
Wasn't Vettel the pole record holder?

Another thing too the track has been altered many times since.. So give or take a few tenths.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

f1316
f1316

PlatinumZealot wrote:

With the ultra softs and kind of lap time improvements we've seen so far this year, I think there's no doubt we see a new fastest all-time lap.

Another thing too the track has been altered many times since.. So give or take a few tenths.
Pole, yes, but Kimi's was set in Q2, back when Q3 was done with race fuel.

Very very closely run thing but Vettel's pole in 2011 was 1:13.556.

Since we're talking about such things, Michael's 1:14.439 on lap 23 of 2004 race is the lap record - that's on tyres that had already done 22 laps, so unimaginable these days (even if at the end of the race with similar fuel levels).

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

Qualifying prediction:
1. Rosberg
2. Hamilton
3. Ricciardo

Race prediction:
1. Rosberg
2. Hamilton
3. Vettel
4. Ricciardo
5. Raikkonen
6. Verstappen
7. Alonso
8. Perez
9. Sainz
10. Hulkenberg
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

PlatinumZealot

1. Hamilton
2. Verstappen
3. Ricciardo
4. Alonso
5. Vettel
7. Rosberg
8. Cheko
9. Kimi
10. Sainz
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Multi21

This may come off as a stupid question but what is the benefit as far as race strategy goes for merc and redbull to have loaded up on ultrasofts? Are they expecting to be able to do a one stopper going US-SS or since track position is kind as merc and Hamilton found out last year, they will just run them all through practice to maximize the first stint and then throw on some softs for the remainder of the race? Can't imagine any of the front running teams would be daft enough to try a two stopper

ME4ME

I think that US-SS indeed will be the prefered strategy, even if it would mean a bit of tyre-saving.

But in Monaco, there is always a risk of a first lap collision, and a safety car. In that case i'd imagine at least some teams trying to put on the softs and go to the end.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Is their any chance some of the teams, namely Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, will be able to get through S2 using Super Softs? Would it provide an advantage provided they can secure track position at the start?

F1NAC

Fulcrum wrote:Is their any chance some of the teams, namely Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, will be able to get through S2 using Super Softs? Would it provide an advantage provided they can secure track position at the start?
Doubt it. Gap between teams will be smaller here than anywhere

GoranF1
GoranF1

1 Ric
2 Ham
3 Ros
4 Alo
5 But
6 Sai
7 Kvy
8 Bot
9 Rai
10 Ver

Vettel DNF (driver mistake)
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

iotar__

Fulcrum wrote:Is their any chance some of the teams, namely Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, will be able to get through S2 using Super Softs? Would it provide an advantage provided they can secure track position at the start?
I thought about it too since A. ultrsofts are what 0,8 quicker which should be enough for top 10 B. the only strategy variation I recall from Monaco recently was Vettel staying longer and benefiting from others in traffic in '12(?) but that was different, tyres and specific situation. So it would be hypothetically: Ferrari 5th on US but starting SS if Merc and RB are quicker.

No and no, they won't try and it wouldn't help. If you're quick enough to have track position you don't need it, if you're not it might not be safe enough to try it :-) .

ripper
ripper

Will US -SS will last enough for one stopper? Or some team like Ferrari that brought 2 sets of soft might try a US-S tactic?

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:

Kerbs on the chicane after the tunnel were like 5 cm or even more higher in 2011 (and still are) compared to 2006, and have a MUCH tighter entry point, requiring more braking and turn in. This alone could be worth 0.5s.
Alonso in this shot simply jumps over the kerb and his car is not bouncing at all. Now compare that to 2011.

Alonso 2006 - laptime 1.13,8 - pretty fast
https://youtu.be/31PBtyvZYKE?t=1m14s

Vettel 2011, at 0:56 :
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpaq2v ... ettel_auto

Turn 13-14 is also tighter in 2011

Vasconia

bl4zar_ wrote:Lots of people are basing their predictions on the Spanish GP, which has been absolutely unconventional. IMHO:

1- Mercedes in front of everyone as always.
2- Ferrari behind them as always, maybe Ricciardo chasing them but however RedBull won't be dominant on Ferrari, they'll fight.
3- McLaren better than usual but obviously not better than Ferraris. Probably something between 7th and 10th place, with Sainz fighting with them.

This if things remain as in Spain. If Ferrari has finally found a way to keep tyre pressure low as Mercedes and RB, probably RB won't be a problem for them. But I don't think they've figured it out yet.
It will be a close fight between RB and Ferrari but I dont know, I have the feeling that RB can put Mercedes under pressure on this race. RB has the best chasis, and improved PU and Mercedes "magic botton" wont work here so well.

I expect a TR-McLaren fight here, Kvyat did a good second half of the race in Barna. He should improve after the shock of this departure from RB. He is not that good on qualy but his race pace is usually much better.

Juzh

f1316 wrote: With the ultra softs and kind of lap time improvements we've seen so far this year, I think there's no doubt we see a new fastest all-time lap.
If conditions are normal in qualifying there's little reason to expect anything else.
They removed the guard rail last year in turn 15 and added a high kerb there instead. Not sure if it's in fact faster or slower. Positioning seems more or less the same.