2016 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, Fri 01 – Sun 03 Jul 2016

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: 2016 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, Fri 01 – Sun 03 Jul 2016

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Schuttelberg

GoranF1 wrote:
Maker37 wrote:Vettel changing gearbox.
5 places penalty.
source?
It's his birthday on race day. Would be a horrible gift from Ferrari. But how can there be a penalty? He hasn't even run on Friday.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

flickerf1
flickerf1

Schuttelberg wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Maker37 wrote:Vettel changing gearbox.
5 places penalty.
source?
It's his birthday on race day. Would be a horrible gift from Ferrari. But how can there be a penalty? He hasn't even run on Friday.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vette ... ia-793735/

Motorsport.com has learned that Ferrari is conducting a detailed investigation of Vettel's gearbox amid fears it picked up terminal damage in Baku.

Although the team is hoping that it will be able to get the green light so the unit will not be replaced, fears are growing that it cannot be run again.

A final decision can wait until Friday, however, with drivers able to use a different gearbox in the practice session from the unit that they use over the remainder of the race weekend.
The Wicked + The Divine.

Schuttelberg

flickerf1 wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
source?
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vette ... ia-793735/

Motorsport.com has learned that Ferrari is conducting a detailed investigation of Vettel's gearbox amid fears it picked up terminal damage in Baku.

Although the team is hoping that it will be able to get the green light so the unit will not be replaced, fears are growing that it cannot be run again.

A final decision can wait until Friday, however, with drivers able to use a different gearbox in the practice session from the unit that they use over the remainder of the race weekend.
Looks like I should get my hopes down.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

giantfan10
giantfan10

dren wrote:I don't want Ferrari to win. Lynch me, too.
And im pretty sure most people dont want to see Mercedes win either.. most people dont spend an awfull lot of time posting laughing emoticons and smart comebacks to every post in the mercedes thread or any other thread mentioning mercedes.
There is a difference

notsofast
notsofast

flickerf1 wrote:...drivers able to use a different gearbox in the practice session from the unit that they use over the remainder of the race weekend.
I'm not a big fan of those cost-cutting measures, but it seems kind of against the spirit of cost cutting if drivers can use as many gearboxes as they want in practice.

GoranF1
GoranF1

giantfan10 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:I dont care who wins as long as its not Vettel. :D
All i want is for Ferrari to finish ahead of Mclaren lol.... im pretty sure i will get what i want even if Vettel starts dead last
I think this year Ferrari still has a chance to finish infront of Mclaren.
I think there is no chance Ferrari will finish any race this year infront of Mercedes.
In 2017 Ferrari will struggle whit new aero rules as they always do when reg in that area change.
Mclaren will beat Ferrari next year whit "Mclaren" aero rule book.
Honda will be close to Ferrari PU in 2017 .

Kiss kiss
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

without further derailing this thread,
Alonso's choise to leave Ferrari still has not been proven wrong. Alonso also won with Ferrari - though obviously not making it to the title.
This year, we'll still have to see whether they are going to have a win.
Now it's not like Mclaren has done as such that the move to Mclaren has proven anything positive - rather worse at this point, but - though
he has been saying things before that did not happen (with MCL) - but next year might prove interesting.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

giantfan10
giantfan10

GoranF1 wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:I dont care who wins as long as its not Vettel. :D
All i want is for Ferrari to finish ahead of Mclaren lol.... im pretty sure i will get what i want even if Vettel starts dead last
I think this year Ferrari still has a chance to finish infront of Mclaren.
I think there is no chance Ferrari will finish any race this year infront of Mercedes.
In 2017 Ferrari will struggle whit new aero rules as they always do when reg in that area change.
Mclaren will beat Ferrari next year whit "Mclaren" aero rule book.
Honda will be close to Ferrari PU in 2017 .

Kiss kiss
Wishfull thinking.
Kind of like the ECU made by mclaren was supposed to give them an advantage in engine management.
The honda engineers who have gotten it dead wrong the last 2 years running will get it right and leapfrog the Ferrari PU based on what? Mclaren saying so? Eternal optimism on the part of fans of Mclaren?
"This year Ferrari has a CHANCE to finish ahead of Mclaren" what races are you watching to come to that conclusion?
There has been nothing but ronspeak and nonsense coming from Mclaren for the last 2 years. They were supposed to be competing with Mercedes for wins this year. Last i heard the latest prediction is now at least 2 years to compete for a podium
I give you kudos for being a Mclaren fan through thick and thin but that doesnt mean you get to just suspend reality.

strad

GoranF1 wrote:
I dont care who wins as long as its not Vettel.
In saying that you lose credibility and any claim of objectivity.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pierce89

dren wrote:I don't want Ferrari to win. Lynch me, too.
The difference is you're not constantly aggressively rude. No one was criticised for disliking Ferrari.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

dans79

strad wrote: In saying that you lose credibility and any claim of objectivity.
Last time I checked you can not like someone , and still be objective.
197 104 103 7

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

dans79 wrote:
True, but we don't see much evidence of it on forums.

Vasconia

Fulcrum wrote:
dans79 wrote:
True, but we don't see much evidence of it on forums.
This "I dont like this guy but I can be objetive" theory is almost a myth on a 95% of all the forums.

I have always thought that its extremely stupid to be an "anti" someone, you waste too much time with negative things instead of supporting another driver, or simply enjoying F1.

Big Mangalhit

So basically we have mercedes fans mocking ferrari fans for being slow which are themselves mocking mclaren for being extra slow. Then we have mclaren fans mocking both mercedes and ferrari because they will be slow in 2017.
I have to say although pointless it really spices things up in the pre-race and probably in the post-race when the winner will come here to gloat.
notsofast wrote:
flickerf1 wrote:...drivers able to use a different gearbox in the practice session from the unit that they use over the remainder of the race weekend.
I'm not a big fan of those cost-cutting measures, but it seems kind of against the spirit of cost cutting if drivers can use as many gearboxes as they want in practice.
I think the measure still works because if they had unlimited gearboxes for races without penalties they would build them lighter as possible and change them EVERY race. This way they are built with a little more durability to withstand several races, and even if they can change in training there is no performance to be chased there so no point in changing that many times. Just enough so they don't use the race ones i guess.