Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bucker
bucker

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

I read on some other forum, that the back of the Ferrari is not well designed and it will change for the next test or Australia.
Last edited by bucker on 28 Feb 2017, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

Sevach
Sevach

Right to work.

F1T
Administrative bot

2017 design trends: adoption of the S-duct

2017 design trends: adoption of the S-duct - Development blog

Having been tried, used and developed by several teams in recent history, 2017 finally looks to become the year in which (nearly) all teams add some form of S-duct on their cars. It is a solution which was first pioneered by Ferrari back in 2008. Back then, it was aimed at improving their airflow underneath the nose cone at a time when front wing development was possible in the central section of the wing as well.

The major regulation changes of 2009 removed the possibility for Ferrari's nose ducting. A further restriction came after Mercedes used the front wing stalling double-DRS system. The FIA then stipulated that apertures more than 150mm ahead of the front wheel centreline could only be for driver cooling.

Still, that enabled Sauber and Red Bull, and later also McLaren and Force India to use the commonly known S-ducts, featuring apertures underneath the nose cone and guiding air through an S-shaped duct through the nose to exit on the upper side, usually just ahead of the front bulkhead.

In 2016, Mercedes and Toro Rosso implemented further improvements to the system. By carefully designing small inlets left and right of the underside of the nose cone, inlets were made possible within the scope of the regulations. This enabled much more straightforward internal ducting, and a more beneficial inlet location. The result is that this year, Toro Rosso modified its inlet design to resemble that of the Mercedes F1 W07 and Ferrari, McLaren and Williams following the same route. Red Bull Racing and Renault seem to have stuck with apertures less than 150mm ahead of the front wheel centreline.

On the outlet side, teams seems to be following a route initiated by McLaren in 2015, where the air exited ahead of the transition from the steep upper nose profile to the flat upper side of the monocoque. Toro Rosso and Mercedes notably chose this route, and also split the outlet by putting the pitot tube in the middle. McLaren interestingly chose to the move the pitot tube out of the way this year and ended up with a similar solution to Renault.

Now it's only down to Haas and Force India to add S-duct on their 2017 contenders...

[img]//f1tcdn.net/images/development/2017/bcn-ferrari-sduct.jpg[/img]

F1NAC

temp sensor on the floor. Interesting darker part prolonging as well there

GoranF1
GoranF1

Adrian Newey says he does not understands Ferrari sidepod philosopy.

:D
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

matt21

sriraj1031
sriraj1031

GoranF1 wrote:Adrian Newey says he does not understands Ferrari sidepod philosopy.

Source please... would love to read his understanding

Fede90
Fede90

Have Ferrari closed the S-duct output?
Do you know why?

Italiano
Italiano

GoranF1 wrote:Adrian Newey says he does not understands Ferrari sidepod philosopy.

And I don't understand Honda engine philosophy.

How is this relevant?
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

f1316
f1316

What were deemed very basic launch wings and floor still not changed on the Ferrari; they're obviously using them as a baseline but slightly surprised they weren't just dummy pieces for launch purposes and that they're being run at all.

F1NAC

f1316 wrote:What were deemed very basic launch wings and floor still not changed on the Ferrari; they're obviously using them as a baseline but slightly surprised they weren't just dummy pieces for launch purposes and that they're being run at all.
As Toto Wolff said in notebook , most teams will run launch specs for the first test eventually changing some bits last days. We should expect more changes in second test. Now is everything about mileage and gaining also data from the tyres

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Italiano wrote:

And I don't understand Honda engine philosophy.

How is this relevant?
Newey trying to play mind games...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Mangalhit

In the RB13 thread there is speculation that the RB is squatting (losing its hight rake possibly to stall the diffuser with a lower ride height than the one it is designed for) in high speed straights even with DRS open.

But this image seems to show the same in the Ferrari, also with DRS open and taking into account that this year car seems to have a huge rake.

bhall II
bhall II

henra wrote:That is clear. The question to me rather is: Do you really want a vortex there behind the car? And if so: why? To shield against the tire wake? Other than that I can see no reason what benefit a vortex behind the car would bring.
The upwash from the edge vortices keeps air flow attached. The effect is a bit like that of a slot-gap.

EDIT: better image
Last edited by bhall II on 28 Feb 2017, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

mikhak
mikhak

f1316 wrote:What were deemed very basic launch wings and floor still not changed on the Ferrari; they're obviously using them as a baseline but slightly surprised they weren't just dummy pieces for launch purposes and that they're being run at all.
I wouldn't describe the floor as basic. Diffuser and outboard floor looks quite well developed from what i can see.