2017 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal, 9-11 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Re: 2017 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal, 9-11 June

So are Renault / Honda neither bringing an engine upgrade to this gp, as far as we know?
Last edited by BanMeToo on 31 May 2017, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

F1NAC

If I'm not mistaken, both got delayed because reliability issues

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

godlameroso

Weather update, some rain forecast for Friday, should be a dry qualifying, will advise tomorrow for race day, but as of now it's looking 50/50 rain on Sunday.
Saishū kōnā

matt_b
matt_b

Oh it better rain we need something to make this championship exciting again after the last race. In dry conditions I can see Mercedes struggling with the Ultras again.

Mr. Fahrenheit

matt_b wrote:
01 Jun 2017, 19:24
Oh it better rain we need something to make this championship exciting again after the last race. In dry conditions I can see Mercedes struggling with the Ultras again.
Has it not been exciting so far? :lol:

hollus

Interesting with the ultrasofts, two teams stand out as being particularly sure that they'll run them as much as possible. One is supermild on tires and always makes them work nicely. The other team... I take this as confirmation that they need to compromise so much in downforce that they cannot switch on anything harder than the ultrasofts.
Rivals, not enemies.

bdr529

matt_b wrote:
Thanks but No thanks,
I know it can make for great races, and at a track that already offers up the unexpected in spades,
it would mean 6-7 drivers would have a chance at winning

But rain is the last thing we need here in this part of the country, we've had record amounts of rain the last 2 months
as for myself, and more importantly, my basement would like to see 3 straight days of sunshine and 0% chance of rain
Mercedes will just have to figure out another way to beat Ferrari

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

matt_b wrote:
This is a track that should favor Mercedes. They still have a power unit advantage. Especially evident in qualifying. I don't see Ferrari beating them there. Both Hamilton and Bottas are typically good there too. Predict a Mercedes 1-2.

Artur Craft

tbh, I think Ferrari and Mclaren made the right choices with the tyres. CGV have only long straights and a few slow corners so the degradation shouldn't be high even on the US and the performance crossover(from softer and harder tyres) might happen very late into a stint, as was the case everywhere else.

I would love if they didn't have DRS zones on this track. I guess there would be plenty of good overtakings without it instead of boring fly-bys.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Hammerfist wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 01:47
matt_b wrote:
This is a track that should favor Mercedes. They still have a power unit advantage. Especially evident in qualifying. I don't see Ferrari beating them there. Both Hamilton and Bottas are typically good there too. Predict a Mercedes 1-2.
And the fact that they cant get the ultrasoft to work just doesnt matter right?
Your prediction would be perfect in 2016... not 2017...

turbof1

giantfan10 wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 12:25
Hammerfist wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 01:47
matt_b wrote:
And the fact that they cant get the ultrasoft to work just doesnt matter right?
Your prediction would be perfect in 2016... not 2017...
Like always, we'll have to wait and see. Canada is a different type of track under different conditions. Mercedes could hit the sweet spot.
#AeroFrodo

cplchanb
cplchanb

Artur Craft wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 11:26
tbh, I think Ferrari and Mclaren made the right choices with the tyres. CGV have only long straights and a few slow corners so the degradation shouldn't be high even on the US and the performance crossover(from softer and harder tyres) might happen very late into a stint, as was the case everywhere else.

I would love if they didn't have DRS zones on this track. I guess there would be plenty of good overtakings without it instead of boring fly-bys.
Im not that sure.....with so much negative aero effects of the giant wings it has been a huge chore keeping up close enough to make a pass. Most people wont throw it all in like seb did in china. if at all DRS has helped facilitate an opportunity to pass rather than breeze bys this year for the most part

Artur Craft

cplchanb wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 15:29
Im not that sure.....with so much negative aero effects of the giant wings it has been a huge chore keeping up close enough to make a pass. Most people wont throw it all in like seb did in china. if at all DRS has helped facilitate an opportunity to pass rather than breeze bys this year for the most part
DRS mostly helped, so far, this year because most tracks are difficult to pass. The race I most enjoyed was China and it was good because the DRS was almost neutral there as the track already offers opportunity for passing. Canada have always been good for overtaking, I don't think DRS was ever necessary there.

Big Mangalhit

Artur Craft wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 15:49
cplchanb wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 15:29
DRS mostly helped, so far, this year because most tracks are difficult to pass. The race I most enjoyed was China and it was good because the DRS was almost neutral there as the track already offers opportunity for passing. Canada have always been good for overtaking, I don't think DRS was ever necessary there.
China was your favourite cause it is good to pass. Well then Canada should be good with DRS too since China is even easier with that massive straight. And btw last year china GP is the record for most OT.

I think DRS should balance well in this track considering the wider cars. Lets see... Hope for a fun race with a battle for first