Ranting

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

Tp wrote:Very nice. Although isn't that the car Jeremy said he'd rather live with Bird Flu
Ya but you mentioned that Ferrari is reaching a state of perfection. If the corvette can beat the F430 on the track. What does that make of the Z06?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Tp
Tp

m3_lover wrote:
Tp wrote:Very nice. Although isn't that the car Jeremy said he'd rather live with Bird Flu
Ya but you mentioned that Ferrari is reaching a state of perfection. If the corvette can beat the F430 on the track. What does that make of the Z06?

I'm only quoting what Jeremy Clarkson said. Plus the Corvette has an 8 litre engine compared to Ferrari's tiny 4.3 litre. And the track, the times were set on, rewards the more powerful cars.

But still you are right the Corvette is really fast. If slightly biased towards track use.

zac510
zac510

Tp wrote:Plus the Corvette has an 8 litre engine compared to Ferrari's tiny 4.3 litre..
Corvette has 7 litre engine.

Tp
Tp

OK I stand corrected a 7 litre engine.

"Okay, most American cars can chug along a nice straight track with no problems. But when it comes to negotiating those most rare of things, a corner, they just fall to pieces, sometimes literally.

The Z06 has a V8 engine. But more impressive than that, it has a gas tanker emptying, seven litre engine which can knock out 500bhp. The engine is so remarkable, that it can go from 0-175 all in fifth gear.

And all this for just £60,000.

But do we recommend it? Well, not really. The problem being, off the track and on a road, the car is truly unmanageable, the ride is awful, the engine sounds like it's being fuelled by spanners, it's too wide, it will shake your bones to dust and the gearbox feels like it's out of a tractor."

RH1300S
RH1300S

m3_lover wrote:
It makes it a sledge-hammer.............

Granted it is very fast - obviously what has been done is to fit it with huge tyres, screw down the suspension really tight - give it brakes and a monster engine. Result, on a smoothish track it is a grip monster and fast.

Deserves some credit for posting a great time 8)

BUT: Apart from the usability comments already stated, arguably desirability and appearance all stack up for Ferrari (don't even like modern Ferraris :? ). I bet that if you got those two cars to lap the Nordschleife (i.e. a fast road with bumps, cambers and gradients) the Ferrari would probably be quicker (or at least MUCH closer). Also, send them both on a trans-continental blast - the Ferrari would probably deliver again - fast comfort possibly fewer fuel stops.

Best not to compare the two really................

m3_lover

RH1300S wrote:
m3_lover wrote:
It makes it a sledge-hammer.............

Granted it is very fast - obviously what has been done is to fit it with huge tyres, screw down the suspension really tight - give it brakes and a monster engine. Result, on a smoothish track it is a grip monster and fast.

Deserves some credit for posting a great time 8)

BUT: Apart from the usability comments already stated, arguably desirability and appearance all stack up for Ferrari (don't even like modern Ferraris :? ). I bet that if you got those two cars to lap the Nordschleife (i.e. a fast road with bumps, cambers and gradients) the Ferrari would probably be quicker (or at least MUCH closer). Also, send them both on a trans-continental blast - the Ferrari would probably deliver again - fast comfort possibly fewer fuel stops.

Best not to compare the two really................
Actually here is the time of the Z06
Porsche Carrera GT 7:32
Mercedes-McLaren SLR 7:40
Corvette Z06 (c6) 7:42
Porsche 996 (RS) 7:42
GT2 7:46
Jaguar XJ220 7:46
Lamborghini Murciélago 7:50

and Also the Z06 is rated at FUEL ECONOMY
EPA city driving: 16 mpg
EPA highway driving: 26 mpg

So for the money you get, it is the best deal on the block and the cheapest 500 horsepower car in north america, do not know about it in Europe
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

West
West

I think the Corvette proved to everybody that America can build a world-class sports car, much to the dismay of European purists. The large engine is a result of their C5R (most of the car is, really) and most likely is a part of America's heritage - an OHV big V8.

As with the Chyrsler (Dodge) Viper, America has shown that they can win and dominate international races. Look at the recent string of C6R victories, as well as the Vipers stomping all over the Porsches in the late 90s. You don't know how many lame-ass ricers in the states think that American cars can't do anything.

Yes the Ferrari is more desireable but that is out of the hands of many people. Personally, I don't like the newer Ferraris because they're pigs. They're just stuffing huge engines nowadays to make up for the weight. That and they're the played-out supercar of millionaires (who probably don't even care about the history for the Ferrari, just buying the name).
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Scuderia_Russ

West wrote:Personally, I don't like the newer Ferraris because they're pigs.
Looks wise the new (599 Fiorano is it?!) is a real shocker.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Tp
Tp

m3_lover wrote:So for the money you get, it is the best deal on the block and the cheapest 500 horsepower car in north america, do not know about it in Europe
I'm surprised they managed to get 500 horsepower from the engine I mean take the Cadillac CTS-V its supposed to be a M5 rival, but it only has a 400bhp engine. In Europe we can get that out of a pencil sharpener.

m3_lover

Scuderia_Russ wrote:
West wrote:Personally, I don't like the newer Ferraris because they're pigs.
Looks wise the new (599 Fiorano is it?!) is a real shocker.
The whole car looks ugly, The back end has only one set of taillights not the usual two. Even the 612 scagletti is not that pretty too. Personally Aston Martin make the most beautiful cars out there.

West
West

I liked the 360 Modena and 575 Maranello a lot. Too bad the latter was nearly 2 tons. The styling of the latest Ferraris are terrible. The F430 may be aerodynamically better than the Modena, but it sure looks uglier (opinion) and I hate the Enzo-style rear end. The Scaglietti is boring to look at. The 599 GTB Fiorano is decent, but having lost a pair of tailights makes it look plain.

I think the last real Ferrari was the F40.

Cadillac can pull 500 hp out of their Northstar V8 but that would drive the price up. They also probably don't want to interfere into Corvette territory.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Tp
Tp

Ferrari's tend to look better in the flesh. After seeing the 612 in a magazine I thought the it looked ugly, then I saw one in a Ferari showroom........It looked stunning

Tom

Older cars are far better looking. Cars which someone spent a week hammering out one piece at a time have far more appeal than something that was stamped by a machine. Thats why I like F1 machines and especially LMP cars (Le Mans Prototypes) bexause they have been moulded into that shape esspecially, not mass produced.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Scuderia_Russ

I agree that Aston Martin's look awesome, it's just a shame they are so unreliable.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

zac510
zac510

Tp wrote:In Europe we can get that out of a pencil sharpener.
:lol: :lol: :lol: