Canadian F1 Grand Prix

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tachus
Tachus

Canadian F1 Grand Prix

Anyone goin to the Canadian Grand Prix on Jun 25th? Just wonering because im going, and I thought maybe there would be some locals going who could give me some tips on where to stay, or cool things going on that I should know about.

jgredline

Well, It looks like I am going also, but I am not a local and I will basically wing it.
To finish first, first you must finish.

Jason

I'm going to there on 23rd June. Get some tickets before it runs out. 8)
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

Smeerak
Smeerak

jgredline wrote:Well, It looks like I am going also, but I am not a local and I will basically wing it.
You should get ahold of McGill or Concordia University Residence departments.

You can usually, if not already booked, get a room in Residence for far cheaper then a hotel/motel.

Also - I highly doubt that there is a single hotel/motel that will have a vacancy for that time period.

Good luck, it's a LOT of fun !!!! Oh, and don't forget to jump over/through the fence after Sunday and walk the track - it's awesome !

Tachus
Tachus

Yeah i already booked a room at the Hilton outside of montreal, much cheaper since i have AAA and work for the government. The hotels in the city are insain prices because of this event.

jgredline

I got my tickets today for Canada and Indy
For the Canadian grandprix, I will be getting there early Sat morning and what I mean by Winging it is that I will find a place to sleep even if its under a tree and then enjoy the race Sunday and fly back sunday evening. I have done that before and works out to be awsome since its only me. For Indy since I will be taking my wife and kids we will be staying at the Hilton. I would prefer to wing it there also, but my wife would not go for it. Sounds a little nuts I know but I have done that for about 10 years now at differant races. Its pretty cool actually. 8)

Lindberg
Lindberg

Assistant Montreal

I can help people organize their trip to Montreal. I'm a local. As for a place to sleep, I may have a solution.

Just communicate via emails.

Bienvenue! :D

jgredline

Re: Assistant Montreal

Lindberg wrote:I can help people organize their trip to Montreal. I'm a local. As for a place to sleep, I may have a solution.

Just communicate via emails.

Bienvenue! :D
Thanks for the offer. Trully I am grateful. Part of the fun is seeing where I end up. I have some really good customers that live in Montreal and have offered me a place to stay for the past 5 years and perhaps I will take them up on it one day, but there is just something about winging it.
Thanks

f1.redbaron

ah, the rookies :)

There is one simple thing you guys can do that will save you a lot of money, time, and frustration. If you think that you will go to the race next year, wait until August, then go on the internet and search for the hotels in Montreal...pick one weekend in June (it's been in June for as long as I can remember), find a hotel, and book it. Do the same for all the weekends. Then, once the dates come out, just simply call the hotels (or send them an e-mail), and cancel all the reservations for the weeks you won't need. You're pretty much guaranteed the lowest possible price as those weeks are never blacked out until the dates come out.

Tachus
Tachus

Yeah, that may not be a good idea, quoting the hilton recipt page from my online booking,
"If you cancel for any reason, attempot to modify this reservation, or do not arrive on your specified chck-in date, your payment is non-refundable."
:?

f1.redbaron

Tachus wrote:Yeah, that may not be a good idea, quoting the hilton recipt page from my online booking,
"If you cancel for any reason, attempot to modify this reservation, or do not arrive on your specified chck-in date, your payment is non-refundable."
:?
But, then, that doesn't sound like a reservation...

Usually, those are the comments you get when you book a hotel room during a black-out period. The whole point is that you book a room while the black-out period is not in effect. My confirmation e-mail specified that I will be charged all the fees unless I cancel by 8AM, the day of. In other words, I can hold the room until just a few hours before the check-in time, and not pay a cent.

Believe me, I've done it twice, and it has worked like a charm.

Tachus
Tachus

Yeah, it was kind of a last minute thing.