Japanese GP 2021 has been cancelled.

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Herr_Koos

Japanese GP 2021 has been cancelled.

Just confirmed at formula1.com.

"Formula 1 has announced that the 2021 Japanese Grand Prix has been cancelled, with race organisers citing 'ongoing complexities' related to the Covid-19 pandemic."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 4WnfW.html

It's a real shame. Suzuka is such a wonderful circuit. I find it odd though that they managed to host the Olympic Games in Japan but felt it necessary to cancel the Grand Prix.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Re: Japanese GP 2021 has been cancelled.

From what I gather, the general public in Japan was not decisively in favor of continuing with the Olympics. But cancelling it on short notice would have been a huge loss of face internationally, which is probably why they went on with it anyway (albeit with heavy restrictions). The F1 grand prix just isn't such a prestigious event for the general public, and it would be a hard sell to host it given how strict Japan is on Covid measures. So, yes, a shame, but there's not much odd about it. It's events of a completely different category.

Herr_Koos

The GP may not be as prestigious, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a group of crazier (in a good way) and more dedicated F1 fans than the Japanese. Just looking at the selection of home-made headgear in the crowd every year clearly shows how passionate these people are about their racing. It also robs Honda of the opportunity to win a race at home in their swansong year.

Obviously though, lives come first, and if these good folk can't safely attend the race I can understand them cancelling it.
Last edited by Herr_Koos on 18 Aug 2021, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

MattWellsyWells
MattWellsyWells

Do you think they'll replace it with a second race in Turkey?

Herr_Koos

MattWellsyWells wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 10:29
Do you think they'll replace it with a second race in Turkey?
No idea. The article says they're considering options, whatever that means. It might indeed be replaced by a double-header at a single venue.

maxxer
maxxer

Herr_Koos wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 10:15
Just confirmed at formula1.com.

"Formula 1 has announced that the 2021 Japanese Grand Prix has been cancelled, with race organisers citing 'ongoing complexities' related to the Covid-19 pandemic."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 4WnfW.html

It's a real shame. Suzuka is such a wonderful circuit. I find it odd though that they managed to host the Olympic Games in Japan but felt it necessary to cancel the Grand Prix.
I guess they just had to host the olympics or lose it all together anyway is the next one is getting closer and athletes prepare for years for such

1m0bius1
1m0bius1

Good thing for mercedes? This is a really good RBR track isnt it?

NathanOlder

Sky were saying a few weeks back that COTA have said they are available for a double header back to back if Japan falls.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

1m0bius1 wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 10:54
Good thing for mercedes? This is a really good RBR track isnt it?
Its a really good RedBull track that they havent won it for 8 years!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Wouter

This is very sad for Honda in their last year and their many very passionated Japanese fans. :cry:

The Power of Dreams!

the EDGE
the EDGE

Absolutely gutted to lose Japan

I love an early race… Nothing like setting the alarm and getting straight up and into the action, A great way to start the day and leaves plenty of time to do something after

First Australia and now Japan, very sad IMO

Herr_Koos

Wouter wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 11:09
This is very sad for Honda in their last year and their many very passionated Japanese fans. :cry:

https://pbs.twimg.com/ad_img/1427903980 ... name=small

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10/13 ... R_13_A.JPG

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... 7-fans.jpg
Agreed, my sentiments exactly.

El Scorchio

Such a shame. Always a bit of a highlight of the calendar for me. (Although from a selfish point of view, it's a very early start so if there's a plus, it means not getting up ridiculously early on Saturday and Sunday morning...) No real early starts for Western Europe/East coast USA at all in the last two seasons now. Much as it's a struggle sometimes though, it is quite exciting- especially for the traditional opener in Australia.

It is really a bit of an eye opener as to the current global situation and varied ways parts of the planet are dealing with the pandemic though.

TBH, I wonder if USA/Mexico/Brazil are under threat as well. Texas is spiking again and as a state they don't seem too keen on precautions. May come down to how 'safe' they can keep all the teams and staff. Mexico has another spike and Brazil could really go the same way again. Could be a fair few changes to the calendar, still. We may even see a rerun of Sakhir or another European race added. Silverstone in Autumn/colder weather might be interesting.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

NathanOlder wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 10:57
Sky were saying a few weeks back that COTA have said they are available for a double header back to back if Japan falls.
MotoGP are currently having a bit of a confidence crisis in attending COTA as there are clauses in contract relating to the provision of ICU beds in local hopsitals and with Covid issues - there are no volumes available.

If Texas continues to have lack of ICU, then I can see both MotoGP and F1 not attending.

Also need to review the travel corridors/permissions as I thought UK was not accepted currently?

Re Japan though - it is a shame. Suzuka is epic. On my bucket list for a trackday if I ever get over there :shock:
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

DChemTech
DChemTech

Herr_Koos wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 10:27
The GP may not be as prestigious, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a group of crazier (in a good way) and more dedicated F1 fans than the Japanese. Just looking at the selection of home-made headgear in the crowd every year clearly shows how passionate these people are about their racing. It also robs Honda of the opportunity to win a race at home in their swansong year.

Obviously though, lives come first, and if these good folk can't safely attend the race I can understand them cancelling it.
Yeah, but so far the only sports that really seems to be able to be exempt from COVID regulations (or at least, serve as a test-bed for regulation-relief in western countries) is soccer. And that's not because the fans are so well-behaved... :lol: