Judd GV4 V10 engine longevity???

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
SmokyChris
SmokyChris

Judd GV4 V10 engine longevity???

Hey there Petrolheads. I am new here and am currently working on building my own Race/Drift car. I own a Judd GV4 4.0l v10 engine whichh I bought from my friend 2 days a ago for 19grands (wonder if its good deal) and I am thinking of getting that engine as the heart of my build as Ryan Tuerck did with his formula supra and I got 2 big thought about the build botherin' me. 1st) the longevity of the engine Judd officially says that the engine can last 4000km( around 2485miles) without any problems but I am thinking if there's any way I can make it last over 3000miles. 2nd) the transmission, what kind of transmission should I use with the engine.

any kind of help and advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,

stealthdeburgo
stealthdeburgo

Re: Judd GV4 V10 engine longevity???

OK I'm not a leading expert with Judd engines, but considering the info on F1 engines of modern times (last 10 years or so) there are some interesting issues you will have to contend with.
First - you may have to preheat the engine to operating temperatures because the engine will be very tight in tolerances, so much so that you wont be able to turn it ove unless its up to temperature range.
Second- you will need to charge the air supply for the pneumatic valve springs if the engine doesnt have its own air pump, which some dont.
now the longevity issues - thats pretty well all to do with how hight rpm limit you want to have. And its very non linear. drop the rpm by 1000 rpm you might get 40 hrs instead of 4 hrs between rebuilds. I'm sure Judd know that very well. You had mentioned about getting 4000 kms, I would be more concern with how many hrs at what RPM and then reduce it down. considering how competitive F1 is, and how close they come to self destruction they get, if your not racing for big money - like they do in F1, then I would drop it down much further - and you can then look at reprofiling the cam timings - as it stands you might have only 2000 - 3000 rpm band that can be useable, and thats where you have to look at track configurations - what your competition is doing. and Again if this is for fun, then drop the rpms down to the point of maybe never needing a rebuild. as it stands that's a good price for some very exotic F1 machinery which will cost more than twice for a rebuild.
Transaxles will be an interesting issue. most F1 engines will have custom built transaxles catering to what the chassis/engine requirements are. many will offer many different gear ratios - pretty simple on that question, but how long the transaxle is from engine mount to rear wheels will depend on your CofG that you will need. and that's where some of the customizations come into . the other is suspension hard points, and adjustments needed - many have several hard point locations both on the top and bottom of the gear box, while others use flexerons (in lue of ball joints) which makes the transaxles more particular to the course they are racing on. Though most flexerons are used on the front suspension to keep the aero package cleaner.
So there is a lot to consider on what you want the engine to do, and how long you want to make it last. RPM is the real issue with longitivity more than anything else. But I'm not sure if there are issues with harmonic resonance below the rated rev band - the old Cosworths DFV's were notorious at having destructible harmonics below the torque range, and had many DNF's resulting in cam gear failures. But again it was an old engine using old spring valve technologies.

Bakir
Bakir

Checking to see if you are still planning on using this engine for your project? I am looking to buy another GV4 as spare.
If you are keeping it, you should reach out to Judd directly before you run the engine. You need to pre heat it before you start it, and then you need to run it through the warm up cycle before you can push it. It needs to be managed very closely not to have issues.

mclaren111

SmokyChris wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 17:33
Hey there Petrolheads. I am new here and am currently working on building my own Race/Drift car. I own a Judd GV4 4.0l v10 engine whichh I bought from my friend 2 days a ago for 19grands (wonder if its good deal) and I am thinking of getting that engine as the heart of my build as Ryan Tuerck did with his formula supra and I got 2 big thought about the build botherin' me. 1st) the longevity of the engine Judd officially says that the engine can last 4000km( around 2485miles) without any problems but I am thinking if there's any way I can make it last over 3000miles. 2nd) the transmission, what kind of transmission should I use with the engine.

any kind of help and advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,

Good Luck... Hope you have a :D :D lot of fun...

robertchavez20
robertchavez20

Do you still have the engine? I am looking for a Judd v10 and I would like to have your engine, I could pay more than it cost you, if you have not already mounted it

coaster

You might find a coffee table for cheap in the online classifieds, theý are usually bare castings with carnage inside a few cylinders.
Cheap is in the range of 4 figures in Euros.
Complete motors are usually on a lease from Judd with a servicing plan of some kind, prices would be in the order of 5 figures.

If you have that money spare enjoy, life is short.