F1 of the Future.....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
slinger

F1 of the Future.....

I'm probably going to get shot over this, but here goes...

- 10 Teams with 2 cars each, built under budget cap to a rule set. This might be a stretch :wink:
Each team has one employed driver and one junior driver for car setup and testing. Car setup to be identical for both cars according to race conditions and team preferences. Teams get FP1&2 and driver gets FP3 for setup.
Standard FIA steering wheels on all cars.
Teams get the Race points towards the WCC and get points/time penalties for all non driving errors.
Teams get prize money according to WCC standings.

- 22 Drivers on fixed salaries who are un-affiliated to any team. Car for race and qualify to be randomly chosen at start of the weekend lotto style. Driver shows up with seat and helmet...
Drivers without car are reserve for all team if necessary, pot luck as they say :lol:
Driver gets race points towards WDC and get points/time penalties for all driving errors.
Drivers get bonuses according to WDC standings as well as qualify results.

Let hear all the great suggestions.

I know there is are a lot of worms in the compost, but there you are...
I'll duck now, fire away :-#
Overtake you must, if not loose you will...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: F1 of the Future.....

20 cars, all the same and allocated from a pool controlled by the FIA. V10 engines with 800bhp standard and a limited 50hp "overtake" facility, 8 speed gear box. Cars allocated to the team on Thursday. Friday is 2no. 1 hour FP sessions. Saturday is a 45 minute race with the grid drawn at random (but no driver gets the same place twice during the season). Sunday is a repeat of Saturday but 90 minute race. Teams can change the set up as required to suit track/driver for each race. Tyres designed to do 60% of a race distance. Money goes with the points.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mzivtins
mzivtins

You could refine this by cross-referencing FIA GT3 rules with regards to Gold, Silver and Bronze classes.
This sounds similar to what you mention about the employed & 1 junior driver

The problem with this is the skill gap needed for racing these cars, with GT4/GT3 cars, they are built for amateurs to drive, to the point now that manufacturers are designing the cars to be much easier to be driven by amateurs because there is much more time to be gained there.

I think F1 doesnt need to do anything to be great into the future. It needs to go back to the times where we had 6 drivers with a chance of winning WDC right up to near the last race of the season.

People say they want to avoid those weird aero cars of the past, but why? the delta between teams converges over years, and thats where the ultimate racing happens. It also supports the overall industry a lot better, fabrication and composites etc, the search for the 0.01seconds instead of now where teams are trying to find 0.5-1seconds

slinger

My thinking was that the teams would retain their "individualism" and we would retain the different directions of development they each have in reaching the common goal of best car.
The driver would get more interested in the stats and characteristics of the cars, as to which one suites their driving style better. Maybe there could be swopping of designated car between drivers and teams having a veto vote on it.

One could have Max and Ham in the same car on a weekend and it not being the fastest car of the pack...
Overtake you must, if not loose you will...

seaboy03
seaboy03

Whoa, now that's a wild idea to shake up F1! While I dig the creative thinking, implementing a total lottery system for drivers/teams seems pretty far-fetched. The biggest roadblock I see is getting the major players on board - no way the top teams voluntarily give up control over driver lineups and car assignments. Can you imagine Ferrari agreeing to that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for exploring ideas to spice up the racing and level the playing field. But completely randomized rides would be way too big of a shock to the system. F1 still needs to play to team/driver identity and loyalty that fans are invested in.The gentle pages of the calendar 2024 editable hearken back to times gone by. As Earth continues its timeless dance around the Sun, one can't help but reminisce about the years past, the memories made, and the days that once seemed endless.

Still, fun to hypothetically play with radical changes like this even if the execution isn't there yet. You never know, maybe pieces of this concept could work like assigned "guest drivers" for FP1 or something. Keep the innovative thoughts flowing! Just leave some sacred cows like Ferrari strategists alone ;) FIre away with any other wild ideas!
Last edited by seaboy03 on 03 Oct 2023, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

sp8472
sp8472

I made a similar suggestion a couple of years back. I like the idea of seeing drivers in different cars and finding out who is really the WDC
Different drivers championship format
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephen

We may see an increase in the number of teams from 10 to maybe 11 or 12 in the next few years.
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver