pc for cad

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
echedey
echedey

pc for cad

good gentlemen, greetings I tell you a problem I have, I am setting up a pc for cad design for catia v5 and solidworks, and I do not know which graphics to mount in principle I have in mind a rtx a5000 but it goes me out of budget, by the experience of you which you recommend me, I want it for design project engines, chassis, suspension, boats, aeroplanes ect, also for cfd.

also the memory ram i want to put 64 gb but with a 6800 mhz?

What do you recommend me about the graphics card?

e36jon
e36jon

Re: pc for cad

I can't speak to CATIA but for SolidWorks you should hit their website where they have actual recommended hardware, not just specs. If you don't find what you need to know on the SWX website check some of the user website for additional info. I have been running SWX on laptops for ~20 years with no performance issues. I over-spec my hardware (engineering workstation laptops with 64Gb of RAM and the highest spec graphics card I can swing.) relative to some coworkers that are running SWX on business class machines with no issue.

coaster

A word of warning echeday, if you run a bootleg copy of catia or solidworks you cannot use this computer for internet.
If you hit the help file, it automatically takes you to the company website, they instantly recieve your license an your IP address, if the license is bootleg you will recieve a letter in the mail from catia or solidworks.

gandharva

echedey wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 15:34
good gentlemen, greetings I tell you a problem I have, I am setting up a pc for cad design for catia v5 and solidworks, and I do not know which graphics to mount in principle I have in mind a rtx a5000 but it goes me out of budget, by the experience of you which you recommend me, I want it for design project engines, chassis, suspension, boats, aeroplanes ect, also for cfd.

also the memory ram i want to put 64 gb but with a 6800 mhz?

What do you recommend me about the graphics card?
https://www.solidworks.com/de/support/h ... ification/
https://www.3ds.com/support/hardware-an ... gurations/

Is this a private project or business? If private I would always go for retail hardware if possible. You can get a decent rig with 7800X3D/RTX4070 and 64GB Ram for sub 2k € if you build it yourself.
Btw. I know people that are running solidworks on a potato laptop with iGPU. ;)

ME4ME

gandharva wrote:
21 Nov 2023, 16:42
Btw. I know people that are running solidworks on a potato laptop with iGPU. ;)
Indeed when my new Dell workstation crashed I also ran on old hardware for some days and it was OK. No need for the best CPU and GPU.

My recommendation is get a large and fast SSD. At least 32GB RAM and a very good monitor, as well as a 3D Connexion space mouse.