How important is math knowledge in F1 engineering?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Fluido
Fluido

How important is math knowledge in F1 engineering?

How important is knowledge of math for one engineer in F1, specially aerodynamics?
Do engineers use math calculation for any work or all math computer do?

If everything is done by computer, does engineers need math at all?

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: How important is math knowledge in F1 engineering?

If you don't know the maths then you will end up in rabbit holes. I suspect most CAE engineers run Excel, and Matlab, continuously while working. I know I do.

Rodak
Rodak

Well, it's certainly useful to be able to look at an equation and understand what it's saying; it should generate a picture for you of what is potentially happening with changes in variables (at least it does for me). I'm not sure how you could achieve an engineering degree without competency in math through at least partial differentials and matrices.

Fluido
Fluido

Rodak wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 02:47
I'm not sure how you could achieve an engineering degree without competency in math through at least partial differentials and matrices.
Yes for sure at university has lots of math, but how much you need it in a job as engineer...
Greg Locock wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 23:21
If you don't know the maths then you will end up in rabbit holes. I suspect most CAE engineers run Excel, and Matlab, continuously while working. I know I do.
But programs compute(structural,CFD,thermodynamics..) all you need today? Isnt it?

Martin Keene
Martin Keene

Hugely important. They might not actually do the calculations anymore, but you need to be able to smell check the results.

jjn9128

^This, the computer runs it but you have to be competent enough to know what you're asking is correct. Computers are dumb and will compute whatever the user requests.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Vanja #66

Engineering is applied physics and problem solving. Both of those "run" on mathematics. Before you put anything through a simulation of any kind, you need to be sure you understand what you are doing, meaning you need to understand the physics of what you are simulating. And as was said above, physics runs on math so you can't have a deep understanding of engineering problems without sound knowledge of math, and that is a must on F1 level.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Rodak
Rodak

Yes for sure at university has lots of math, but how much you need it in a job as engineer...
I seriously doubt any F1 team will consider you for an engineering position without a degree. Technically, here in the U.S., to use the title 'engineer' requires a university engineering degree. Non-degree 'engineers' are technicians; yeah, I know it's different in the U.K.

Edited to add: Having lots of experience in lower formula would help. A university degree demonstrates your knowledge and commitment, as completing an engineering/science degree is not just a walk in the park.

Fluido
Fluido

Rodak wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 22:58
I seriously doubt any F1 team will consider you for an engineering position without a degree. Technically, here in the U.S., to use the title 'engineer' requires a university engineering degree. Non-degree 'engineers' are technicians; yeah, I know it's different in the U.K.

Edited to add: Having lots of experience in lower formula would help. A university degree demonstrates your knowledge and commitment, as completing an engineering/science degree is not just a walk in the park.
Yes I know that engineering study is hard and have lots of hard math, but I ask does engineers use it in today work, does F1 engineers solve differential equations at paper,etc?
Calculate lift/drag for rear wing from Navier-Stokes equations is not possible by hand.
You can use Prandtl method but it will be inaccurate.

Rodak
Rodak

Yes I know that engineering study is hard and have lots of hard math, but I ask does engineers use it in today work, does F1 engineers solve differential equations at paper,etc?
Calculate lift/drag for rear wing from Navier-Stokes equations is not possible by hand.
You can use Prandtl method but it will be inaccurate.
Of course they use computers. The point is, you have to understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. If wishes were horses.....

beschadigunc
beschadigunc

Plenty important as you never know when you need to use calc skills to write down a function or optimize smth

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

There's two sorts of CAE engineers. There are people who know one package and just use that. In the FEA world they are known as node pushers and mesh monkeys. OTOH there are people who use a wide variety of tools to solve problems from equations on the backs of envelopes, to clusters of computers. The first type's jobs are very easy to outsource, and will, I suspect, be the among the first engineering related jobs to automate (which they already are of course to some extent).

Fluido
Fluido

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 21:02
Engineering is applied physics and problem solving. Both of those "run" on mathematics. Before you put anything through a simulation of any kind, you need to be sure you understand what you are doing, meaning you need to understand the physics of what you are simulating. And as was said above, physics runs on math so you can't have a deep understanding of engineering problems without sound knowledge of math, and that is a must on F1 level.
Do f1 engineers solve differential equations, during work?

What is most important skill for aero engineer in F1, technical drawing rules, math or physics of aerodynamics?
Does Adria Newey use CFD (he not use CAD) or he everything doing from his head/experience?

MHR650
MHR650

You are describing 3 different jobs within an F1 team. A development engineer who comes up with the shapes needed to achieve the performance, a designer who takes those ideas and creates actual CAD models which can be simulated, then detailed for production. Adrien Newey doesn’t design anything, he comes up with the overall concepts of how the car needs to work. Newey comes up with overall concepts, the development engineers come up with the shapes required to achieve that concept, the designer creates the actual CAD which can be simulated and detailed for manufacture. Then the mold making shop, then the laminators, then the finish department, then the mechanics to put the bits on the car….. a modern F1 team is a huge enterprise with a lot of jobs, this is why they end up having 1000 people working for the team.

Fluido
Fluido

MHR650 wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 19:54
Adrien Newey doesn’t design anything, he comes up with the overall concepts of how the car needs to work. Newey comes up with overall concepts, the development engineers come up with the shapes required to achieve that concept, the designer creates the actual CAD which can be simulated and detailed for manufacture
In video below from 48:30 - 50:00, Adrian said 2020 car comes directly from his drawing board, so how do you mean he dont design?

And what does exactly mean "overall concepts of how the car needs to work" ? Translate this in math/physics..
You mean he say how much downforce, drag, etc car must have ?