How to fix F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Il Leone
Il Leone

How to fix F1?

It's looking like we are in for a relatively stale 2024 with Max dominating yet again. Look it happens, but that doesn't make it any more bearable for us fans.

What do you think would help the sport in the long run.

For me driver lineup should be earned on merit with promotions and relegations. I don't know how exactly that could work but it would be shake up the status quo, Perez would now be gone and someone else would be attempting to beat Max.

bluechris

Re: How to fix F1?

Il Leone wrote:
13 Mar 2024, 19:34
It's looking like we are in for a relatively stale 2024 with Max dominating yet again. Look it happens, but that doesn't make it any more bearable for us fans.

What do you think would help the sport in the long run.

For me driver lineup should be earned on merit with promotions and relegations. I don't know how exactly that could work but it would be shake up the status quo, Perez would now be gone and someone else would be attempting to beat Max.
Who knows? What helped the sport after 7 years of MB domination? I suppose if this continues for 1-2 years they will do something but we have rules changing in 2 years so there is hope.

Baulz
Baulz

More frequent and significant rule changes would spice things up.

The problem with budget cap, wind tunnel restrictions, and no testing it is really hard if not impossible for a team to catch up. Red Bull got an advantage just like Mercedes with the engines and will maintain that advantage due to restrictions.

bluechris

Yes but in 2 years time many things will change so there will be a reset sort off. At least RB from the engine department what i they will do is unknown so there is hope for the others.

chrisc90

bluechris wrote:
13 Mar 2024, 21:20
Yes but in 2 years time many things will change so there will be a reset sort off. At least RB from the engine department what i they will do is unknown so there is hope for the others.
Same for everyone, We wont know til 2026.

bluechris

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Mar 2024, 21:28
bluechris wrote:
13 Mar 2024, 21:20
Same for everyone, We wont know til 2026.
I don't think it's the same as matter the engines. From one side we have engine manufacturers that are many years in F1 and from the other side RB with it's 1st engine. I really hope they will be on but what are the odds of that?

Ozan
Ozan

F1 for the last couple of years is mostly dependent on aero and engine power is fixed, you can't compete with higher teams if you don't have a good aero. F1 is a motor sport, not an aero competition, so i don't think anything can fix these boring seasons until 2026.

Il Leone
Il Leone

Could we entertain the idea of reverse grids?

DChemTech
DChemTech

Baulz wrote:
13 Mar 2024, 20:15
More frequent and significant rule changes would spice things up.

The problem with budget cap, wind tunnel restrictions, and no testing it is really hard if not impossible for a team to catch up. Red Bull got an advantage just like Mercedes with the engines and will maintain that advantage due to restrictions.
Why does this myth keep coming back. There is absolutely no evidence that the budget cap makes catch-up impossible. We saw a similar lack of catch up without the budget cap between teams on more or less equal spending, with the main difference that they were spending 3x more than they are now - and the other teams that were not spending that amount had no chance of even competing. The fact that for 3 years RB is reasonably ahead of the rest (and only so after a TD in 2022 ruined the competition) is by far not enough to support the premise that the budget cap is to blame. On the other hand, decades of prior F1 data have clearly shown that there is a strong correlation between spending and points scored, and that prior to the budget cap, F1 was pay-to-win.

What F1 needs to 'be fixed' in my opinion is not more frequent rule changes; at best that scrambles the field and makes a new team dominant every 2 years.

What F1 needs is a long term vision on how it develops: gradual, predictable developments that teams can anticipate, and where they do keep building on prior years. In that way, you can maintain changes instead of a fully frozen ruleset, but you do have chance of convergence - because what we saw in the MB-dominated era was basically that convergence can happen if the regulations are stable (and I think also if they gradually, predictably develop), but that it takes around 5 years.

For the rest, IMO, F1 needs the following:
- A better budget cap. Include everything, including salaries of the top team personnel and drivers (of course, the limit will need to be higher then, perhaps 180-200 million). That introduces a new trade-off: spend more on top drivers leaving less development budget? Or take chances with cheaper, unproven drivers and have more development budget?

- A decision on whether F1 wants to be a (team)sport, entertainment venue, or an avenue of technology development relevant for road cars. If it's the latter, we need to face the reality of other energy carriers than fossil fuels (it would be quite interesting to set a max. CO2/km target which reduces every year, and let teams figure out how to achieve that... if you want some diversity on the grid). If it's pure sports or entertainment, you can keep the fossil fuels - as long as we acknowledge that F1 is using outdated tech for entertainment purposes, like archery. If you want to be pure entertainment? Further restrictions to the car design - maybe standardization even, such that it really is a driver competition. A team (engineering/design) sport? Provide more less restrictive design rules, such that we have more variety on the grid. But a likely result is that one team will dominate for some time - and then we need to accept that.

- Vastly reduce the influence of the teams on decisions. We can use a few more teams, and having existing teams essentially block that is not a good situation. Also get rid of all legacy payments and such. All teams are equal, and should be treated as such.

proteus

Il Leone wrote:
14 Mar 2024, 15:18
No, we cant.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Il Leone
Il Leone

proteus wrote:
14 Mar 2024, 16:49
Il Leone wrote:
No, we cant.
I think we should, the excitement would be unreal.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Il Leone wrote:
14 Mar 2024, 16:52
proteus wrote:
Il Leone wrote:
No, we cant.
Again couples to a whether F1 should be a sport or an entertainment venue. If you want WWE-style fun in an automotive setting, reversed grids would be great. If you want to have a real competition, it has little to no place.

bluechris

Il Leone wrote:
proteus wrote:
Il Leone wrote:
No, we cant.
Yes and sprinklers.... What will we hear next, Jesus...

proteus

Il Leone wrote:
proteus wrote:
Il Leone wrote:
No, we cant.
There is no excitement in falsefying starting grids. Its even faker than DRS overtakes are. And in the current state, you would not prevent Max from winning the race.

And how will you prevent someone to go intentionally slower to claim the pole?

This should be a pinnacle of motosport and not a fake circus. More restrictions there are, worse it gets.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Il Leone
Il Leone

proteus wrote:
14 Mar 2024, 17:13
Il Leone wrote:
proteus wrote:

No, we cant.
There is no excitement in falsefying starting grids. Its even faker than DRS overtakes are. And in the current state, you would not prevent Max from winning the race.

And how will you prevent someone to go intentionally slower to claim the pole?

This should be a pinnacle of motosport and not a fake circus. More restrictions there are, worse it gets.
Quite easy, offer substantial points for qualifying, job done. And yes it's a gimmick, but, it would create great racing, you will still get rewarded for having a good car.