elctro supercar

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
tomislavp4

elctro supercar

What do you think, can electro engine produce around 400HP?
How big should it be? There is a ford with elctro engine that produces 100HP from 90KW so for 400HP you will need 360KW or so...

I´m thinking about coreless D/C engine at the back, fuelcell also at the back and a small wankell engine that will help produce power for the electro engine at the front, then you can also add some suncells for more power. Can this work or it will be too heavy? Any ideas?

Carlos
Carlos

Welcome to the forum: This link is informative, a starting point exploring this exciting subject--also the thread on 4WD Regenerative Braking may be of interest--they seem related--perhaps you would enjoy participating in both!

http://www.telsamotors.com

Regards Carlos

tomislavp4

Yeah i forgat to mention the regenerative braking. Thanks for the inormation, I´we seen pictures of that car but i didn´t know that it´s electric. Thanks

vyselegend

The main problem is the weight of the battery. I know the Venturi fetish produce around 180 KW (~241 HP) with high capacity lithium battery (each being able to stock 58 KW). But they weight more than 350 Kg!!!

Imagine the weight of a 400 HP electro car...

tomislavp4

The Tesla roadster uses a litium ion batery that weights 450kg to produce 250hp so that´s a 1,8hp per kg batery.
400hp=720kg!!!
But let´s not forget the conventional wankell engine and the solarcells for extra power.

NickT

NickT

tomislavp4

And yes I know that electromotors need very litle cooling, but do the batteries need cooling or no?

joseff

tomislavp4

Fast :shock:
But anyway it looks crap :roll:

MrT
MrT

Yes it is possible. A very exciting car is currently being developed for the British Hillclimb Championship. Should be perfect, efficient power delivery and drivability. Massive power. Short event means batteries will not be too much of a problem. Martin is currently looking for investors....

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/imag ... harger.pdf

checkered

You might want

to take a look at this: A company (World Class Exotics) is doing electric conversions with Porsches. I find it all a bit strange and the 80 mi range doesn't yet qualify as impressive in my book. The performance is decent. I couldn't be bothered to investigate further, but you never know what you can learn from these projects.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/automot ... ogy/36831/
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Ciro Pabón

Thanks, joseff, google master extraordinaire. :shock:

We already had a thread related to this, just in case:

viewtopic.php?t=2599

I repost, for those tempted to dismiss the electric motor, paraphrasing Clinton: "it's the torque, stupid!" (no offense intended, please. :) ) :

"In the second race, against the $440,000 Porsche, the two cars were even after an eighth of a mile. But as the Porsche driver let out the clutch in a final upshift, his tires briefly lost traction. The X1, blazing along in its software-controlled performance mode, beat the Porsche by half a car length."
Ciro

tomislavp4

lean acid!?!?!
Ok it´s cheap but the range....

Carlos
Carlos

There's a lot of research devoted to batteries - the US government just gave out massive grants about 2 months ago - I have a 250cc Suzuki motocrosser rolling chassis - and I hope - over the next few years - electric motors and batteries will become available at much lower prices.

Ciro Pabón

Well, tomislav, you're right. Lead acid batteries seem outmoded. I find surprising that you can outrun a Ferrari and a Porsche, which shows that constant torque and electronic control of traction are important.

New electric motors have ceramic magnets that show how much the theory of magnetic domains have improved our knowledge of magnetic materials. The hard drive in your PC is a testimony to the work at IBM labs.

I am surprised at the fact that lead acid batteries are used on F1 cars. We had a thread on that, but nobody came with figures on the motive for using them.

viewtopic.php?t=1902

We also had another thread on regenerative systems (that was reborn recently) where I showed this:

Ciro