New Guy!

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Cornell Racer#1
Cornell Racer#1

New Guy!

Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum and I've been lurking around for more knowledge on the Aerodynamics subject... I am acutally a Mechanical Engineer as my user name says where I went to school :D

I saw some threads where you guys used CFD and other CAD software's....do you know where I can get one? Maybe from one of you guys?

Tom

Well Cornell Racer#1 welcome to THE forum, I saw from another thread you were interested in aero, very complex stuff and I'd love to know more about it myself, which is actually while I came here in the first place. You can learn alot from this site, it's worth checking out http://www.f1technical.net/topics/5 this link, although it is only aerodynamics in its most basic form (at least compared to the stuff the teams are showcasing at the moment) it has proved very useful to me.

Thanks for reminding me, I was going to ask anyone for any CFD product info, as for CAD, the perfect program is debatable, in school we use AutoCAD which is very user friendly and only moderatly priced, here I have TurboCAD which only cost £50, although it has several limitations. The Solidworks name often appears here but I have no experience of it.

I'd be happy to try and send you a copy of TurboCAD if I had any idea how.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Contrary to *somewhat* popular opinion software, especially specialty task software shouldn't be bandied about like it was your old U2 Pop CD.

Some choices though for your consideration ..
Alibre CAD has an "express" version at no charge. Alibre is realy nice IMO. I use the design version, which is like $700 or so. I'm sure they have student rates too.

For CFD I'm looking into 2 possibilities, both shareware.
OpenFOAM and OpenFlower

Google away!

Cornell Racer#1
Cornell Racer#1

Hey guys! Thanks a lot! I will definitely google those names and see what I can dig up....

In the meantime, if anybody else knows how I can get CFD or a good CAD software, please let me know!! Because I have certain projects, which I want to tackle on my own....:)

MAN, I didn't even know this kinda forum existed until I was reading stuff on Wikipedia and blah, blah, blah........I ended up here!

RACKITUP
RACKITUP

If you are a novice, get yourself to

http://www.journeyed.com/itemDetail.asp ... 6815643FS3

and get a CAD package with integrated flow solver. If you want to lern how to mesh properly, try and get hold of gambit and a linex emulator like hummingbird.

Youcan also buy an education version of fluent, but this I believe limits you to 10,000 mesh points....which is laughable.

What software has Cornell got? There is a gambit/fluent from your university that i have used many times (which was posted in that other thread), so I presume Cornell has gam and fleunt?? Best you get stuck into the tutorials, and hope your computer is half decent! :)

Rack

Ciro Pabón

I posted a few links on a similar thread, maybe you would like to start with CFD Online: viewtopic.php?t=3638&start=8

You need a Mac, I guess... ;)
Ciro

Cornell Racer#1
Cornell Racer#1

I've used Solidworks, Fluent, CFD at Cornell. But, I would really like to get CFD on my personal computer at home so, I can play around with....

As for my computer being fast or slow.....I am not sure I got 2.20GHz, 512MB Ram, 4M processor. Which I don't think would do it coz, when I used to do stress analysis in MATLAB for 2D figures and have maybe 25,000mesh points or something, the computer fan would be going wild for few mins before it gave results....

AeroGT3
AeroGT3

You need a lot more RAM. The fan is nothing to worry about - you're going to fully clock the CPU no matter what, unless you have some seriously quick and very expensive hardware!

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Solidedge has academic licenses (i.e. free to use for students)

You should ask in your uni about it.

miqi23
miqi23

Cornell Racer#1 wrote:I've used Solidworks, Fluent, CFD at Cornell. But, I would really like to get CFD on my personal computer at home so, I can play around with....

As for my computer being fast or slow.....I am not sure I got 2.20GHz, 512MB Ram, 4M processor. Which I don't think would do it coz, when I used to do stress analysis in MATLAB for 2D figures and have maybe 25,000mesh points or something, the computer fan would be going wild for few mins before it gave results....
Your University should be able to offer you a student version of Fluent to use on your home PC. The only difference is that you are allowed limited amount of cells.

I am not sure about that stress analysis thing you mentioned on MATLAB, thought it would be FemLab which uses Matlab in the background and meshes your geometry and uses a finite element scheme.

Anyway, ask for student Fluent, I read about it on a magazine once.

flynfrog

cd addapco will more than likely donate to yoru team

what are you doing cfd on thats kinda agisnt your design phlosphy isnt it?

Cornell Racer#1
Cornell Racer#1

miqi23 wrote: Your University should be able to offer you a student version of Fluent to use on your home PC. The only difference is that you are allowed limited amount of cells.

I am not sure about that stress analysis thing you mentioned on MATLAB, thought it would be FemLab which uses Matlab in the background and meshes your geometry and uses a finite element scheme.

Anyway, ask for student Fluent, I read about it on a magazine once.
I actually graduated from Cornell already so, I can't get the student version software. Atleast, I don't think I can.

MATLAB has a toolbox called "PDEtool" box. You can draw 2D diagrams and set your boundary conditions and write a code in MATLAB to analyze the shape for max stress, thermal analysis, etc..... I belive the version of MATLAB that has it is V7.0 or the latest one.

But, as for using CFD or something like that on my personal computer....I just wanna draw some cars and do analysis and play around with it for fun....

Ciro Pabón

You can ask a junior student (one you know but who hasn't graduated) to get the software for you. You did treat well junior students, didn't you? :)
Ciro