My first race as a professional - LMS Nurburgring

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Ranald
Ranald

My first race as a professional - LMS Nurburgring

This weekend I had my first race as a professional. The LMS race at the Nurburgring.
I recently started working at Team Modena (#59 Aston Martin) as an oddjobs boy to supplement my Uni' education. The whole weekend was brilliant although it did end in dissapointment.
We were quick throughout the whole weekend with both drivers (Antonio Garcia and Christian Fittapaldi) really on it and qualified 2nd for the race. During the race we had a great battle with the Luc Alphand Corvette which ended with us in a well deserved second place. The Oreca Saleen were just too quick for us, or anyone, to handle.
However during post race scrutineering the ACO checked the amount of fuel we were able to carry onboard (maximum 90 litres). We failed this test by 0.5 litres and thus have been disqualified from the results. The team will be appealing the result and feel that we have a strong chance of success. I won't give you exact details now as i don't feel it would be right to do so.

So, all in all I had a great weekend (I even got to work on an historic Chevron) and can't wait for my next race, Brands Hatch for British GT in a couple of weeks.

Ranald
"I was having a ---" - Kimi Riakkonens response to Martin Brundles questioning of why he had missed Peles presentation to Michael Schumacher before the Brazilian GP 2006.

flynfrog

Congrats 8)

PNSD
PNSD

Well done :D
Im not a regular visitor, so some people may know what you do, but I dont, so what do you do ?

But yeah sounds good, and experience is always good... I cant imagine how much fun it is though, to be behind the scenes of a fully fledged racing squad!!

Ranald
Ranald

I am a Motor Sports Engineering student at oxford Brookes University and have only been working at Modena for the last few weeks.

You're absolutely right PNSD, it is really good fun but make no mistake it is hard work, but it is all worth it.
Some pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9710702@N07/
"I was having a ---" - Kimi Riakkonens response to Martin Brundles questioning of why he had missed Peles presentation to Michael Schumacher before the Brazilian GP 2006.

Tom

Well done Ranald, what did everyone at brookes think of it?
I've just been watching some of the race on MotorsTV, look very good fun, but a very mixed field from Porsche, Astons, BMW, Alfas and I just noticed a VW Golf, not just a GT race then?
Congrats.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Ranald
Ranald

I haven't had the chance to talk to many of my Uni' mates yet as I have been at work since I got back from Germany.
Tom, I think the race you were watching was the Nurburgring 24 hours as there were no Alfas, BMWs or VWs in our race. Our race was also broadcast live on Motors TV, there are some highlights about too. We race in class against Corvettes, Saleens and other Astons and against prototypes (such as Peugeots, Lolas and Radicals etc.) and slower GT2 cars (such as porsche, Ferrari and Spyker). Quite a field!

Tom

Sorry, didn't read it properly, just saw Nurburgring and Aton Martin and assumed it was the same race. LMS is of course run on the smaller circuit. Still I bet it was a good experience.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

West
West

Cool... you are a lucky guy to work w/ an LMS team. Good luck w/ your appeal.

Any pictures?
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Ranald
Ranald

There are some pics in one of my earlier posts but I will add a few more soon plus some of the Alfa I am working on.

C/\D

How it feels to be in a professional team. Congratulations for your succesful weekend. Sometimes we all calculate something wrong. But its very important o keep it pushing.
Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

kurtiejjj
kurtiejjj

Lucky man! Working on an aston martin (and a chevron)! Me thinks I'm going to swap studies :lol: . We've only got 1 automotive study here in holland which is sad really, but I may have a look if I'm up to the level of physics and stuff. As till now I'm mostly self taught and not a maths man. as I'm doing economics and languages at the moment!

ss_collins
ss_collins

You be with Modena at Silverstone - if so I'd like a chat. I'll visit your garage.