F430 Scuderia

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".

What do you think about the new F430 Scuderia?

Poll ended at 26 Jul 2007, 23:35

79%
Dislike
21%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 24

FLC
FLC

He was already here! Can't you see that one poor vote for "dislike"?! :lol:

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Interesting car, but overdone in the styling department. Mechanically, this car is a dream, and delivers stunning performance. But the exterior, in my opinion is garish and overstated. Flared fenders, scoops, ducts, flip-ups, all the cheap styling tricks you would expect in something like a Hyundai. Usually most Ferraris are cloaked in gorgeous bodywork, but this time it comes across as inelegant and tacky.

Tom

Far too dull for a real Ferrari, I want to see the beasts Enzo envisaged to tackle Le Mans, not some BMW/Lambo love child for company executives.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

West
West

I never really liked the F430; this is only a little better because of the drop in weight. The wheels are really tacky and don't look like something that would belong to a car that expensive.

I would have to agree with Tom and Dave; the styling is overdone and I don't like the tailights. I wish they would design cars more along the lines of the F355 or F40, regardless of the aerodynamics.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

West wrote:The wheels are really tacky and don't look like something that would belong to a car that expensive.
Tell me about it, those wheels don't belong on a Ferrari. Maybe if they weren't in gold they wouldn't be so bad :? .

I personally prefer the F430 Challenge wheels. They look better and sportier (IMO).
And the "Scuderia" version could also definately do w/out the stripes.

Ferrari is in times of change. It is affecting everything from F1 to their GT departments. And a Ferari theme park, Enzo would not be proud.

We can only watch as Enzo's dream is disgraced as Ferrari attempts "global domination".
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Ah yeah. I agree about those wheels too. They'd rather look right on a WRX STi than Ferrari.
I think the traditional multi-spoke BBS in dark grey would be best for this one.

vyselegend

mx_tifosi wrote:
Ferrari is in times of change. It is affecting everything from F1 to their GT departments.
I wanted to scan pages of "autohebdo" mag for you ferrari fans, because I saw great news in there. Unfortunately I lost the mag, and it was in french anyway, but it was about a big direction change in Ferrari's road cars philosophy.

According to the mag, the brand officially stated that they're going backward in terms of how they achieve the power to weight ratio, back to lighter engines with less power but more performance overall for the car.

For all Ferrari fans disapointed by this long "more power but more weight" period, this is a great day.:wink:

The article continued to say next Ferraris to come will be 4 or 6 cylinders with turbos. I don't know what or who awoke them, but it sounds like good news to me. I'm no fan of the scuderia but I love Ferrari cars from the past, up to the "post-Testarossa" period.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I have always been a huge fan of many Ferrari types, very beautiful cars with elegance and panache. Cheap styling tricks do not impress me. For me, substance always beats gaudy trappings.

As far as this new found direction for Ferrari, it's amazing it follows (maybe they want us to believe they lead) the global trend to move away from large, inefficient engines to smaller, more elegant designs.

G-Rock
G-Rock

If Ferrari were serious about the teachings of the Pope, they would only sell the new 430 to real drivers who live within 10km of a real twisty drivers road to avoid non compliance of neo catholic law. Not to dudes who live in the city and use it to take their best buddy along to pick up broads (in a two seater?), while parked infront of some exclusive club.

Ferrari already choses their clients by whether they have owned a Ferrari or not, maybe they should take it a step further :wink:

To me, even though the 430 is a technical marvel, I have never seen one driven by an expert driver on a nice technical road (outside of a Ferrari challenge event) Ferrari's mid engined cars still seem more cheesy Lambo- status symbol then true serious enthusiast car.

Also, whenever you hear about an athlete or celebrity getting into an accident, it's always a mid engine Ferrari. Why is that?
--------------------------------------------------------

West
West

G-Rock wrote:Also, whenever you hear about an athlete or celebrity getting into an accident, it's always a mid engine Ferrari. Why is that?
Cuz they can afford it and we can't... everybody thinks they're a great driver as well
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

vyselegend wrote: According to the mag, the brand officially stated that they're going backward in terms of how they achieve the power to weight ratio, back to lighter engines with less power but more performance overall for the car.

For all Ferrari fans disapointed by this long "more power but more weight" period, this is a great day.:wink:

The article continued to say next Ferraris to come will be 4 or 6 cylinders with turbos. I don't know what or who awoke them, but it sounds like good news to me. I'm no fan of the scuderia but I love Ferrari cars from the past, up to the "post-Testarossa" period.
I read Racecar Engineering mag earlier today and it had an interview with Ross Brawn. And up until you mentioned this about Ferrari's future road car development, I hadn't heard anything about it. And Ross Brawn did talk about that, he did mention less weight and smaller more efficient engines.

Even if I am not a fan of engines smaller than a V8 for such a GT manufacturer, I do agree with less weight. Heavy cars are not the most fun to drive, it "robs" of the overall performance otherwise possible with less weight.

But this new philosophy that will affect their road cars is probably quite far away from being implemented, because AFAIK the successor to the F430 will still be a V8. And the rumors of the Dino have it that it will also have a V8 powertrain, albeit smaller and less potent.

Lets just hope they still produce classics. And keep the overall "philosophy" that has made them what they are (including their V12's :!: ).

I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I do not like too much change.

Concerning the F430 Scuderia, it seems to me that it is aimed at a younger market, but I am young and dont agree with the overdone styling. Whatever vehicle it is, I like simplicity. Not exactly a fan of shiny chrome additions, or those gold wheels for that matter.

Tp
Tp

Ohh crap, check out the waiting list, just when I was about to put my name down for one...

dumrick
dumrick

vyselegend wrote:According to the mag, the brand officially stated that they're going backward in terms of how they achieve the power to weight ratio, back to lighter engines with less power but more performance overall for the car.
Backwards? What's backwards about it? Conservative Ferrari always did heavier cars than most of their contemporary counterparts and relied in huge and more powerful engines. Efficiency never was a concern for the brand of the Mr. that said he didn't care about changing his cars to disc brakes (from drums), because his cars were made for accelerating.

G-Rock
G-Rock

Cuz they can afford it and we can't... everybody thinks they're a great driver as well
What I meant was mid engine vs front engined. You never hear about a celebrity crashing out in a maranello or a 456. Are those owners more responsible, more skilled drivers than their mid engined counterparts? Maybe because they enjoy the car more for what it is than just a status symbol.

If I had the money, I would have a 575 in my garage and drive it everyday.
--------------------------------------------------------

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

dumrick wrote:
vyselegend wrote:According to the mag, the brand officially stated that they're going backward in terms of how they achieve the power to weight ratio, back to lighter engines with less power but more performance overall for the car.
Backwards? What's backwards about it? Conservative Ferrari always did heavier cars than most of their contemporary counterparts and relied in huge and more powerful engines. Efficiency never was a concern for the brand of the Mr. that said he didn't care about changing his cars to disc brakes (from drums), because his cars were made for accelerating.
What I believe he means by backwards is, opposite. Ferrari's philosophy is heading in a different direction, instead of more weight and more power, their will be less weight and less power. It will most likely be for good, all but the turbocharging ideas.

Rivals Lamborghini are also taking a similar direction with lighter vehicles in the near future. Hopefully these ideas spread across the entire field of manufacturers.
-------------------------------------------------------------
300th Post