Sports Cars - classes and restrictions (???)

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
modbaraban
modbaraban

Sports Cars - classes and restrictions (???)

I'm really confused sometimes by these classes, so I thought maybe someone can clarify which restrictions define such classes as: GT1, GT2, GT3, future GT4, NGT, GTC (etc.)?

thnx
cheers

Ciro Pabón

Re: Sports Cars - classes and restrictions (???)

GT stands for Gran Turismo or Grand Tourisme, that is, Great Tourism or Large Tourism. They are cars for endurance races. They originated in cars that could be used for long distances.

GT1 is the most powerful series, with cars going around 650 hp. GT2 are cars with something like 450 hp and closer to production cars. GT3 are even more limited, I've not heard about the specs, but the drivers must be non-professional, like in the new GT4. I quote: "The basic idea, which has encouraged SRO Motorsport Group to create the GT4 European Cup, is to extend the proven GT3 concept to a less expensive second-tier GT category of vehicles".

The cars in GT1 are Aston Martin DBR9, Corvette C5 and C6, Lamborghini Murciélago and Maserati MC 12. In GT2, "the new Porsche 997 GT3 RSR and the Ferrari 430 GT2 are the main contenders".

NGT, I think, is the Nippon version. There are several national cups in the GT class, that are not homologated in the same way. There is the British GT and the ADAC GT Championship for "oldies".

As you probably know, GT1 is a "balanced series". This means that:
"Cars which finish in the top three in either the GT1 or GT2 classes are awarded penalty weight. In GT1, they get 40kg for a first-place finish, 30 kg for second and 20 kg for third. In GT2, these weights are halved, so they get 20 kg, 15 kg and 10 kg respectively. Cars which finish from 4th and under progressively lose any penalty weight they might have accumulated. A 4th place finish loses 20 kg in GT1, with a loss of 30 kg in fifth place, and 40 kg are removed for sixth place onwards. The maximum weight that can be carried is 100 kg in GT1, or 50 kg in GT2. If a car carrying the maximum wins a race, they are given a 'supermaximum' of 150 kg in GT1 or 75 kg in GT2.

Penalty weight is also awarded for cars which may miss a race, or for race-by race entries."
The name comes from the "Grand Tour" that some britons made in the XVIIth century around Europe, starting in Bristol and ending in Paris to "undertake lessons in French, dancing, fencing and riding". Nothing very different from what Mr. Mosley has done in Paris these days, specially the fencing lessons... ;) From Paris you went to Italy and maybe Greece, and in the return leg visited Vienna and Berlin, with perhaps a stop in Flanders.
Ciro

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Ciro, do you have any links for the info you posted?

And a topic related question, do the LMS/ALMS series also incorporate the weight penalty system for the GT class :?:

Muchas gracias por adelantado.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Belatti
Belatti

That balanced series rules make me remember 1996 TC season (Tourism series from Argentina) a famous driver (in 1995 easily TC Champion) began to finish 4th every race on purpose, because it was the better way to stay light and earn championship points, then he won some final races and the championship. He was the best (far away) like a Tourism series Schumacher.
Here is a picture of him in 1994:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

dumrick
dumrick

mx_tifosi wrote:do the LMS/ALMS series also incorporate the weight penalty system for the GT class :?:
No, they don't. Nevertheless, the ACO and IMSA play a lot of the "balancing" game every off-season, with fuel capacities and minimum weights. There have even been occasions where minimum weights were "adjusted" in the middle of the season, though(some years ago in ALMS, to make the Corvettes more competitive on their battles with Aston Martin). In the end, some rows are unavoidable, like in the LMP classes, with gasoline powered competitors claiming that diesels have an unfair advantage, Audi menacing to withdraw if diesels aren't made more competitive (2006-2007) and LMP2 competitors claiming that the chances they had for overall wins until now were taken away for 2008...

To further complicate things, the ACO for the LMES and IMSA for ALMS have in some cases (LMP2 minimum weight for 2008, e.g.) slightly different approaches.

Concerning the GT classes, NGT was the former name of GT2's in FIA-GT, when GT1's were known as only GT. This was until 2004, I think. After that, the FIA adopted ACO-style naming for the GT classes.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Thanks for all the answers.

Another question is quite specific.
What are the normal steering (wheel) lock of most GT cars? I noticed some of them having the traditional round steering wheel, while others have F1 style carbon ones with large LCDs and only 'handles' on the sides.

zac510
zac510

Just to add to Ciro's post - the Brit GT and ADAC GT are GT3/GT4 regulations. There are other national championships in other countries that are GT3/4 regulation too.

Also I am not aware of any GT1/2 series that use performance based weight penalties but some GT3/4 competitions do.

So you can see a heavily structured and consistent (LMS/ALMS differences aside) ruleset that means that theoretically cars can cross championships without change. It has been in place for quite a few years now and is gaining some great momentum, as the winning cars from the 'children' series get invited to the big 24hr and so forth.
No good turn goes unpunished.

modbaraban
modbaraban

modbaraban wrote:Another question is quite specific.
What are the normal steering (wheel) lock of most GT cars? I noticed some of them having the traditional round steering wheel, while others have F1 style carbon ones with large LCDs and only 'handles' on the sides.
Anyone? I'm sure there are forum members who not only know about that but also experienced driving those cars =D>