Idea for a new racing series. Feedback is appreciated!

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
mrcbasbal
mrcbasbal

Idea for a new racing series. Feedback is appreciated!

Hello everyone,
I have an idea for a new racing series. The rules would be very open, compared to most current series. The main regulating factor in the series would be the team budget, as opposed to the technical rules and regulations. The technical rules would only give safety regulations, and some performance regulations. The team budget would be raised through sponsor donations, merchandise, and any other means. There would be a cap on the total budget for each team (say, $250 million as a guess), and that would be used to buy all the parts for the car and pay for team member salaries. These are the two areas of focus for team spending.

1. The car- The rules would allow almost any chassis/engine package available on the market, or if the team desires, to design their own car. This gives two choices for a vehicle.
-Buy a current design- Most old F1 cars, GP2, F3, Champ Car etc. or DTM, ALMS, FIA GT3 etc. would be allowed by the rules. This would allow for older chassis to be used, and prevent them from becoming obsolete. There would be no limit on modifications or redesigns to the car. Yes, open wheel type cars tend to be faster than saloons, but provisions could be made to help equalize performance (similar to FIA GT3).
-Ground-up design- If the team elected, they could design their own car, with whatever parts they wished. This could lead to very detailed customization of the car (as opposed to purchasing, then modifying a chassis). Spending could be more easily monitored since the team purchases and designs each part individually, rather than what comes with a purchased car.

2. Team Personnel- If the team kept car spending under control, more money could be spent on personnel. More experienced engineers, mechanics, and team management personnel could be had on the team, leading to better chemistry and, hopefully, results. The experience of the designers and engineers would lead to new ideas and tricks, based on their observations. This would lead to exciting racing.

Notes:
--Budget would not include team capital expenses (workshop, travel, tool, and clerical expenses).
--The personnel budget would NOT include driver(s) salary. This would be an area for open spending, leading to higher competition for more experienced drivers.

I think it would be cool to see all the different types of cars on the track at once. The different types would lead to different race strategies (very fast, larger engines vs. smaller, better handling and fuel economy). As long as the cars were kept somewhat equalized, the racing would be very exciting. Please let me know what you think! Any suggestions/criticisms would be welcome! I just think this is a cool brainstorming exercise that uses a different means for regulating a racing series. Thanks!!

bettonracing
bettonracing

Re: Idea for a new racing series. Feedback is appreciated!

I told myself I wouldn't bite but I'm a sucker for a loophole in regulations...

You're gonna need some technical regs or 1) nobody will enter because of safety fears and 2) there will be some horrific high speed accidents (think fancar + twin turbo 12L engines). Some kind of fuel restrictor or maximum fuel tank size may be a good start.

It would cost more to modify an old car to keep up with the purpose-designed cars (think increased loads on chassis) and you would lose part of the diversity you're looking for when the entire entry list shows up with purpose-designed cars.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following is a scenario I've used to counter the logic of budget capping (and simultaneously, wind tunnel restrictions):

Ferrari has a contract to build A1 GP cars. They also have Marlboro as a sponsor. What's to stop them from aero testing F1 parts under the guise of 'future A1 GP parts' (even if regulations prohibit adding parts in F1 during the year, they'd still have a head start the next year). In regards to budget, what's to stop Marlboro from spending (what would have been 'Ferrari money') on xyz wind tunnel to test 'unbranded' parts, only for a Ferrari "floor sweeper" to go on "vacation" every few weeks (information exchange). Are the organizers going to police teams as well as sponsors (and sponsor budgets)? What about policing employees? What about those employees that seemingly have no connection to <enter league here> racing?

It'll all have to be a gentlemans agreement between teams and governing body.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last but not least, $250mil is a hell of alot of money to throw at a team, as well as hard to secure. (Ask all the 'financially troubled' teams that have attempted their hand at F1). So You'd have to start dipping into the car manufacturers money, which means You'd be dipping (or at least attempting to) into Bernie's money, and Bernie won't likey. Not to mention that since the cars will be running faster than F1 cars, the FIA won't participate and will make it harder to secure TV & race track involvement.

Unfortunately, the FIA isn't the only one killing racing, engineers (at least the 'nifty' ones) are too.

You should check out the other threads with proposed F1 regulations and their pros and cons.

Regards,

Kurt

P.S. One would think I found a turd in my cheerios this morning...

TRICKLE69
TRICKLE69

First of all I would love to see unresricted racing. A budget of about 75-100 million would probably be enough.Second racing now is all about $$$ which inturn brings politics. We all know all politics are just a form of coruption from government to racing, so eliminate the politics and you get good racing!!!!
IT IS WHAT IT IS

ackzsel

TRICKLE69 wrote:so eliminate the politics and you get good racing!!!!
And here comes the real hard part... :D

I do like your ambition. The racing series you're describing is probably what most of us want. But save racing series cannot exist without regulations. And with regulations teams will always try to find "creative" ways to by-pass those regulations which is exactely what we do not want. I don't want to pop your beautiful balloon but it looks like such series cannot exist by logic.

Off course anything impossible can be advanced to as close as possible. I guess that's what you want.

Belatti
Belatti

This seems to be a "lets be delirious while having snacks and beer" with my friends kind of talk.

I would add: a spec serie (like F1 nowadays) but with three different specs availiable, you have to choose one and only can change every 2 year.

Ej:
3,5 liter V12 and 650Kg
3 liter V10 and 600Kg
2,5 liter V8 and 550Kg
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Belatti wrote:......three different specs availiable, you have to choose one and only can change every 2 year.

Ej:
3,5 liter V12 and 650Kg
3 liter V10 and 600Kg
2,5 liter V8 and 550Kg
I'm glad that finally someone else shares my view on that possibility for F1! A variety of powertrains at the disposal of the teams, where teams can choose what powertrain to run and develop. That's how Grand Prix racing began and maybe it should go back to that sort of racing style. Where each team can fully express their creativity and engineering skills.

Vez Belatti, que si es una buena idea!

The upcoming spring break next week* is already making me a happier better person! :D
*It actually starts in one hour when I get out of my math class....
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

mrcbasbal
mrcbasbal

Thanks for the input guys. I was just throwing a new idea out there. As much as I love F1, it is getting to be a *little* mediocre. I like that multiple powertrain idea. That is what I'd like to see more of. But is anybody else for limiting budgets? I know racing=$$$, and they are the best performance machines on the planet, but it just seems like there could be a few areas for cutbacks. Any other ideas? Thanks!