Belgian GP 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SZ
SZ

Re: Belgian GP 2008

*double post*

Wilfko
Wilfko

SZ wrote:Sure the race got ruined, but you're not looking hard enough at what kicked this off. It's the right call by the FIA, and a particularly stupid move by LH/McLaren. Don't know which race you were all watching, I saw that pass and what let up to it and thought "that's fcking marginal". I'm with modbaraban on this one.

Cutting a corner and then dropping back in the tow/falling into a better line/maintaining your momentum to help overtake thereafter and calling it fair is about as obvious as stalling your car in the dying seconds of qualifying on a tight track and bringing an early end to the session after you've P1'd. You can debate all the way into the night with regard to what degree you've met the rules, but it's clear that you've made a premeditated effort to get beyond their intent and adversely influence the race result.

And in both instances the culprit got done. Even the guy in the red car. So Ferrari International Assistance my ass. LH+team knew better and it wasn't exactly as if he had no hope whatsoever of catching KR if he'd done it right.

+1 to KR for not openly commenting on getting screwed (along with his title race) in the post race comments. Let alone by the same (eager) guy that'd taken him out in pitlane earlier on in the season. I'm certainly no Ferrari fanboy but KR was 100% right.

If only LH had similar decency on and off track we might see some racing and less controversy. McLaren will appeal and he'll probably get off - it is marginal. And yet the move still could have been done later. The intent of the rules is clear, LH - back the fck off and let the racing resume in a manner not influenced by previous events - he's been in racing for years, he'll know this well, if it had been another driver pulling the same --- on him you'd see the entire LH entourage in the FIA's doorstep screaming blue murder.

Be like KR and let the racing do the talking.

Dude, from a neutral here (williams fan) i cant stand double standards. And the only reason KR didnt say anything is due to the fact he messed his own race up, hamilton didnt force him off the track, he spun twice himself. Infact KR forced ham off the track at the chicane.

greenpower dude reloaded

What an incredible Grand Prix, I loved every second. What a pity politics has ruined something that brought me so much joy, I now find myself throughly ermm CHEESED OFF (don't want to offend anyone)

I really think that, that's me done now. I'm not exactly a LH Fanboy, but more of a fan of the sport and its almost as if they don't understand how to send out the right impression. I've followed it for a few years now and all of these dubious decisions are starting to get to me.

I'm actually away at electric races for the next few... races but I won't be recording them!

I may pop back from time to time and I'll keep you all posted on our electric car but apart from that, im off!!

modbaraban
modbaraban

@ Shaddock - let's leave the later situations alone.

My point was that LH cut the corner to his own advantage. He put himseld just behind KR into a perfect position to counterattack and that was the reason why Alonso was made to let the car go by again (thus twice) and properly (back then in Suzuka).

wesley123
wesley123

SZ wrote:Sure the race got ruined, but you're not looking hard enough at what kicked this off. It's the right call by the FIA, and a particularly stupid move by LH/McLaren.

Cutting a corner and then dropping back in the tow/falling into a better line/maintaining your momentum to help overtake thereafter and calling it fair is about as obvious as stalling your car in the dying seconds of qualifying on a tight track and bringing an early end to the session after you've P1'd.
IT is clear that ferrari is getting helped by the fia, but some fans still cant believe wile it is clear. It is 100% unfair and an racing accident, tell me what hamilton had to do else. He couldnt do anything else, or he would hit KR car. And you say let the racing do the talking, it was a racing accident but some fools start complaining because ferrari got owned and they didnt win. LH didnt break the rules and he did like he should. the rules state; "When you cut the track by accident and gained a position by that you should give back that position." excactly like lh did, the rules dont state that you arent allowed to get a tow from the car after he gave the pos back.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Wilfko wrote:Dude, from a neutral here (williams fan) i cant stand double standards, you quite clearly are also a fan boy. And the only reason KR didnt say anything is due to the fact he messed his own race up, hamilton didnt force him off the track, he spun twice himself. Infact KR forced ham off the track at the chicane.
He reacted in practically the same way when Hamilton smashed into him from behind in Canada, so whether he was innocent or screwed himself over the reaction remains the same; calm and mature.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Just to all those who agree with the decision I want to make it clear that I'm not necessarily disputing the decision to penalise Hamilton - I don't have any of the evidance to comment on that - it's the inconsistancy of the rules. 25 second penalty? I mean even if they had demoted him to second they could have said they were taking away the place he gained, but they've dropped him back two positions!? At the end of the day in the wrong or not the penalty is far far to strong.
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 07 Sep 2008, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Diesel wrote:Just to all those who agree with the decision I want to make it clear that I'm not necessaryily disputing the decision to penalise Hamilton - I don't have any of the evidance to comment on that - it's the inconsistancy of the rules. 25 second penalty? I mean even if they had demoted him to second they could have said they were taking away the place he gained, but they've dropped him back two positions!? At the end of the day in the wrong or not the penalty is far far to strong.
There's a rule. If an infringement is worthy of a "drive-through penalty" it is substituted be 25s penalty in case there's no time left for a drive-through.

Although form the moral point of view I agree that +10 position penalty for quali in Monza would be more fair.

PS: what happened to Heiki?
Last edited by modbaraban on 07 Sep 2008, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

modbaraban wrote:
Diesel wrote:Just to all those who agree with the decision I want to make it clear that I'm not necessaryily disputing the decision to penalise Hamilton - I don't have any of the evidance to comment on that - it's the inconsistancy of the rules. 25 second penalty? I mean even if they had demoted him to second they could have said they were taking away the place he gained, but they've dropped him back two positions!? At the end of the day in the wrong or not the penalty is far far to strong.
There's a rule. If an infringement is worthy of a "drive-through penalty" it is substituted be 25s penalty in case there's no time left for a drive-through.

Although form the moral side I agree that +10 position penalty for quali in Monza would be more fair.
A drive through would have been equally as harsh in my eyes, and I think it should have been something like either a 5 place penalty at Monza or at the most a penalty on the Spa result enough to drop him to second, not third.
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 07 Sep 2008, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

myurr
myurr

Look at it from a points perspective - he's effectively been fined 6 world championship points. Even if he did screw up, and I bitterly oppose that judgement, compare to Massa's penalty for a similar rules breach.

The only consistency is that the FIA see determined to turn this 'sport' into an utter joke.

wesley123
wesley123

modbaraban wrote:

Although form the moral point of view I agree that +10 position penalty for quali in Monza would be more fair.
I agree wit that, a 10 places penalty would be worse too, i say if he had to penaltylized he should have get a fine. Massas action in valencia was worse and even bought people in danger, but he gets an fine while he could kill people when it went wrong.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Massa's action in Valencia was nothing. Similar things happen all the time without anyone even noticing. In today's race too :wink:

axle
axle

I don't think ANY penalty is fair.

I'm bermused by the decision and from what I've read most of the world agrees.

There IS data to show Lewis lifted so that's clear.

There needs to be a CLEAR rule here, like one that states you can't re-attack your opponent for 1/2 corners after gaining an advantage by going over an escape road.

I would like to know what the stewards would have said had the two collided when Lewis was in front but on the outside....
- Axle

wesley123
wesley123

So...
Hamilton gets an penalty for avoiding an collision.

Ray

wesley123 wrote: but he gets an fine while he could kill people when it went wrong.
Who exactly could he have killed? If he and Sutil collided at worst they would have hit the Safety car. The camera guy kneeling down was in no danger and there were no personelle further down the road. That's a completely false statement. And besides, if what everyone said was true then Kimi AND Kubica should be penalized for the Canada incident. HOWEVER, they stopped before the end of pitlane and nothing detrimental came from them being side by side. JUST LIKE MASSA AND SUTIL. Nothing happened, no one was in danger of being hit, and Massa rightly backed off even though he was the leader. And for some strange reason they had the pitlane spot order reversed and Ferrari were at the far end instead of the beginning.

Besides, everybody quit bitching about Ferrari being favored. All the Lewis fans came out in defense of Lewis' bonehead move rearending his main championship rival, at the time, saying it was an understandable mistake. Everybody is biased, so layoff the 'fanboy' name-calling. Fanboy is a stupid word anyway, only the immature use it anyway.

It all comes down to consitent rulings. It doesn't exist.
Last edited by Ray on 07 Sep 2008, 20:26, edited 2 times in total.