Renault Engine Changes For 2009

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ernos5

Renault Engine Changes For 2009

Does anyone know why Renault are allowed do change parts on their 2009 engine? I read that the teams made an agreement, but i don't see why? Their unit isn't that underpowered. And i don't see how other teams would agree, it must be minor improvements. :roll:

OriginalDaVe
OriginalDaVe

Re: Renault Engine Changes For 2009

Their performance change doesn't have to be checked by other teams.

Looks like Renault will have the most powerful engine next year.

xpensive
xpensive

Point is that while Renault claims to have sticked to the rules by the letter, other teams, most notably Ferrari of course, have been allowed to introduced developments for "reliability reasons". Something which obviously made a mockery of the whole situation.

Flavio Briatore threatened to break ranks with FOTA and join the FIA on a standard engine, unless Renault was allowed to develop their engine too.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

quidam
quidam

OriginalDaVe wrote:Their performance change doesn't have to be checked by other teams.

Looks like Renault will have the most powerful engine next year.
Only by FIA as usual :mrgreen:

20 cv = 2/10s/lap not too bad =D>

kekekeke
kekekeke

I remember Alonso having a straight forward drag race with Kova in one of the races and the Renault easily outdragged the McLaren even near the end of the straight. I think Renault made some changes of their own near the end of the season and that's why they were so competitive.

ernos5

kekekeke wrote:I remember Alonso having a straight forward drag race with Kova in one of the races and the Renault easily outdragged the McLaren even near the end of the straight. I think Renault made some changes of their own near the end of the season and that's why they were so competitive.
yer that was chinese gp, shanghai. Alonso and Kovalinen were side by side down the long back straight and Alonso out-dragged him

Conceptual
Conceptual

ernos5 wrote:
kekekeke wrote:I remember Alonso having a straight forward drag race with Kova in one of the races and the Renault easily outdragged the McLaren even near the end of the straight. I think Renault made some changes of their own near the end of the season and that's why they were so competitive.
yer that was chinese gp, shanghai. Alonso and Kovalinen were side by side down the long back straight and Alonso out-dragged him
Didn't we talk about this, and come to the understanding that Alonso was compensating with less wing?

I think that there was a Symonds interview that said that, but I don't remember what race...

Metar

I remember reading the Renaults ran with less rear wing in the final races, too...

Look at the Schumacher Vs. de la Rosa Hungary battle for straight-line supremacy. In the Shanghai case, Alonso just barely edged ahead until the braking-zone, which is where he gained more time.