Ferrari F60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Shaddock

Re: 2009 Ferrari

djos wrote:
Shaddock wrote:The rear wing uprights seem to be tapered outwards which seems unusual as the lower element will be slightly narrower than the upper element.

Anyone know what the two small inlets are for in the root of the sidepods?
Cooling for KERS maybe?
Possibly, but given the size of the KERS cooling they used in testing these look awfully small. If they don’t run KERS in the first couple of races and these inlets disappear then we’ll know for sure.

Does anyone know whether the ‘hole in the nose’ that Ferrari used last year is outlawed this year as technically it’s not a protrusion.

ernos5

Shaddock wrote:
djos wrote:
Shaddock wrote:The rear wing uprights seem to be tapered outwards which seems unusual as the lower element will be slightly narrower than the upper element.

Anyone know what the two small inlets are for in the root of the sidepods?
Cooling for KERS maybe?
Possibly, but given the size of the KERS cooling they used in testing these look awfully small. If they don’t run KERS in the first couple of races and these inlets disappear then we’ll know for sure.

Does anyone know whether the ‘hole in the nose’ that Ferrari used last year is outlawed this year as technically it’s not a protrusion.
im not sure abou the "hole-on-nose" but looking at the size of the thing lol i doubt having a hole would give them an advantage. :?

Shaddock

The Ferrari nose is pretty slim, but other teams may try to incorporate the design into their nose.

djos

Shaddock wrote: Does anyone know whether the ‘hole in the nose’ that Ferrari used last year is outlawed this year as technically it’s not a protrusion.
The hole-in-nose that Ferrari ran in 2008 is banned for 2009+
"In downforce we trust"

timbo
timbo

Shaddock wrote:Does anyone know whether the ‘hole in the nose’ that Ferrari used last year is outlawed this year as technically it’s not a protrusion.
The purpose was to bleed some of the pressure build up generated by the center section of the front wing, now it doesn't generate downforce at the center, so you don't have that problem.

I noticed that the steering wheel looks quite different to with a row of a toggles at the bottom. It seems to have even more dials than before, not a surprise with the KERS introduction anyway.

Shaddock

djos wrote:
Shaddock wrote: Does anyone know whether the ‘hole in the nose’ that Ferrari used last year is outlawed this year as technically it’s not a protrusion.
The hole-in-nose that Ferrari ran in 2008 is banned for 2009+
cheers

roost89
roost89

Aren't barge boards banned?
Just looking at the hi-res pics it looks like the Ferrari has some. They're just not as big as the ones previous.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

djos

roost89 wrote:Aren't barge boards banned?
Just looking at the hi-res pics it looks like the Ferrari has some. They're just not as big as the ones previous.
nope, just severely restricted in size, number of and placement.
"In downforce we trust"

roost89
roost89

djos wrote:
roost89 wrote:Aren't barge boards banned?
nope, just severely restricted in size, number of and placement.
Ah, thank you! :)

I have to say this Ferrari looks pretty good! The rear wing looks more in place than on the hybrids. I'm also surprised at the number of wee flip-ups you can still have or that have appeared using Ferrari's interpretation of the rules.

The sponsors at teh back fo the car like Acer will be pleased too, you can now see their logos on the car!
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

xpensive
xpensive

Just close your eyes and visualize this car without front-wing, would have been a classic beauty...

As well as having a shot at getting thru the first corner, even if starting mid-field.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Shaddock

xpensive wrote:Just close your eyes and visualize this car without front-wing, would have been a classic beauty...

As well as having a shot at getting thru the first corner, even if starting mid-field.
The rear wing needs to be a tad wider and lower for me #-o

siskue2005

just for comparison
that rear wing is the culprit
see this comparison.....it looks just great with those low rear wing

axle
axle

Good looking car.

Massa has said it's small, like an F3 car...

I wonder if they have slimmed the car down within the regulations to reduce drag as much as possible in light of the limitations on downforce...I.E. they are able to produce a smaller car with better mechanial grip/agility without a loss of downforce.
- Axle

cba_
cba_

siskue2005 wrote:just for comparison
that rear wing is the culprit
see this comparison.....it looks just great with those low rear wing
That is how it should be :shock: =D> [-o<

timbo
timbo

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=9WMKsZmSqqc

News report (in italian) with some ontrack footage.