FOM offers 10 year deal to Manufacturers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

FOM offers 10 year deal to Manufacturers

Ecclestone offers teams new deal

26 January 2009

Bernie Ecclestone has offered car manufacturers involved in F1 a new deal which includes greater financial freedom in exchange for their long-term commitment to the sport.

The offer comes following Honda's demise and the ongoing discussion between FOTA and Ecclestone in which the teams are asking for a greater share of the revenues generated by F1, especially in the current economic climate.

"If the manufacturers are prepared to make a long-term commitment, say seven to ten years, we should let them spend what they want to, providing they supply engines and gearboxes at an affordable price," Ecclestone told the Daily Telegraph.

"It would prevent the kind of thing we've seen with Honda because we could sue them if they left," he added on how his plan would help secure the sport's future. "They wouldn't like that. Whether they will commit to that I don't know. Getting them to agree on anything has always been the problem."
It sounds to me as if Bernie is making a classical move to secure the business. In the past those things were done by the Concord agreement. It looks like the time for Concord style contracts is over. The FiA is very reluctant to get roped into commercial issues and is not putting any pressures on Fota to come to a commercial deal. CVC are in a difficult position. With a business that has no mid term stability the cost of the huge bond will go up like crazy. With the credit crunch and worsening ratings they will spend huge tons of money on interest unless they manage to improve the risk factor. So there would be some sense in giving committments to the manufacturers if they commit for a longer period of time.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

timbo
timbo

Re: FOM offers 10 year deal to Manufacturers

I think this can be a reasonable agreement for both parties, let's wait for the responce of FOTA.

Conceptual
Conceptual

Being offered an agreement in which is immediately linked to a lawsuit would not be very appealing to me.

If I were the FOTA, I would seriously consider Bernies offer, and then I would ALSO entertain any other offers that promoters can bring to the table.

Maybe it is time that the FOTA shop around. If they are willing to sign on for 10 years in F1, then maybe they would be better served signing on for 5 years with a different promoter who will give the teams 75% or whatever.

If the FOTA want more money from Bernie, then they need to show that there are other possibilities beyond Bernie.

I know it is tough, but the FOTA have been agreeing ALOT lately, and they can get anything they want if they play their cards right.

F1 2010 may be the 2008 GP2 cars for lack of teams. Wouldn't THAT be something!?!

xpensive
xpensive

See if I get this right now, in return for a ten-year committment, the manufacturers will be mercifully allowed by Bernie to spend even more money on F1?

Right, the automotive industry has money to burn at the moment, everybody knows that. At the same time, most executives involved have of course a mandate to make lifetime-committments, so why not offer something for the rest of Bernie's days?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

donskar
donskar

Notice how Bernie uses a little basic "business judo":
the teams are asking for a greater share of the revenues generated by F1, especially in the current economic climate.

"If the manufacturers are prepared to make a long-term commitment, say seven to ten years, we should let them spend what they want to, providing they supply engines and gearboxes at an affordable price," Ecclestone told the Daily Telegraph.
FOTA wants more money. Bernie offers them nothing in response to that demand. Instead, his offer benefits only him. If FOTA even takes this "offer" seriously, they ought to be insulted.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

timbo
timbo

donskar wrote:Notice how Bernie uses a little basic "business judo":
the teams are asking for a greater share of the revenues generated by F1, especially in the current economic climate.

FOTA wants more money. Bernie offers them nothing in response to that demand. Instead, his offer benefits only him. If FOTA even takes this "offer" seriously, they ought to be insulted.
Ouch, I clearly mistread it! I thought he would give teams bigger share of FOM money in exchange of commitment, but now I read the article again, and all I can say is - Bernie did it again!
Well, how FIA and teams can tolerate a person that acts like F1 is his sole show, yeah, he owns rights for F1 trademark, but it is not him that makes this trademark worthy...

WhiteBlue

It is clearly an attempt to devide Fota by supporting the rich teams that can outspend the privateers.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Conceptual
Conceptual

WhiteBlue wrote:It is clearly an attempt to devide Fota by supporting the rich teams that can outspend the privateers.
I don't think that it will work as it has in the past.

The entire business model of F1 Constructors is changing, and I don't think that there would be a problem with changing promoters, calling it World Kart or something, and using the F1 2009 rules and regs...

I'm sure that it would be a monumentus task, but we are talking about the top 1 percentile of talent here. If anyone could pull it off, it would be them!

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Conceptual wrote:I'm sure that it would be a monumentus task, but we are talking about the top 1 percentile of talent here. If anyone could pull it off, it would be them!

To be honest - if the teams did appoint someone to get another series up and running - I don't think it would take very long to do it. They could appoint the current promoters of Formula 2 for instance.

1. Offer all current racetracks a chance to hold the race - charging them half of what the poison dwarf charges - and move it to the following weekend (for every race) to avoid any chance of said poison dwarf suing the tracks for unavailability.

2. Keep the existing F1 technical regulations - they are not a commercial matter therefore outside the purview of the FOM (so the poison dwarf cannot get his lawyers on the case).

timbo
timbo

WhiteBlue wrote:It is clearly an attempt to devide Fota by supporting the rich teams that can outspend the privateers.
Yep, but what connection has FOM to cost cutting measures? FOM is not FIA, and I don't think that Bernie is the one to say let'em eat cake.

xpensive
xpensive

I don't know, FOM is in serious trouble and Bernie knows it, he seems to be trying a bit of everything at the moment.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"