Silversones New Layout

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Silversones New Layout

I saw this earlier this week and have seen no post of it yet, so far i like it, yes theres no Bridge or Proiry, as well as a new version of Club, but im shure that it will add one more passing opertunity on the course, and add a good bit of time to the lap, posibly another 10 seconds, making the lap time arround a 1 minuite 30 second lap, but i like in general new area of the track.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/php/ne_overview_2772.html

Miguel
Miguel

Re: Silversones New Layout

Hello!

From what I read, this layout is the one going to be used by MotoGP. I personally think they've done a good job of using previously existing layouts, and still keeping lots of Silverstone F1 spirit. The bikes will go after all over Copse, Maggots-Beckets-Chapel, Stowe and most of the final sector. The bikes were never going to use Bridge (see the "Tilke is an Artist" thread", too much speed for little runoff).
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

modbaraban
modbaraban

Such a shame they left out the Bridge-Priory-Luffield sequence. (read this in Brundle-mode :arrow: ) It was quite challenging and unusual. The Bridge had a late apex to put the car in the perfect position to try and drag it into Priory without going too wide on the curb and then suddenly you have to brake haaaaaaaaard.... for Luffield while the car's not yet stable after the previous turn.
But now after that long straight Luffield would be just another boring slow bend a-la Tilke.
The old Club was interesting too. Many cars tend to oversteer on the exit (especially w/o TC) and it was hard but tempting to open the taps as early as possible.
No regrets about the Abbey, although it was probably a very good place to spactate.

PS: Silverstone's one of my all time favorits, btw. I hope these changes won't ruin the unique 'flowing' impression it used to give.

Scotracer
Scotracer

That slow corner that replaces Abbey-Bridge has totally ruined the flow of the circuit. Silverstone was always a high speed circuit from start to finish and now it has that slap-bang in the middle.

Poor show.

Oh and they've ruined Club - the whole draw of that corner was being on the limit of acceleration and turning capability and now it's a point and squirt.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

ClioSport197

Waste of time in my opinion. The money could be better spend else where on the circuit.

Spencifer_Murphy

I agree there is nothing wrong with the layout and everything wrong with the FACILITIES, how many times did Bernie have to say it?! Facilities Facilities Facilities that's all we ever heard (apart from Rain + Car Park = Chaos!)

This "new" layout is hardly new at all tbh. The same layout was shown in a copy of F1 Racing magazine back in (and I'm guessing here because I cannot find the issue in question) about 2004, maybe 2003.

All in all a complete waste of money.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

This layout was 'designed' years ago. It uses mostly existing track, they just needed a few corners reprofiled, it also leaves the original layout intact. I don't know if it's actually been implemented? Someone mentioned Moto GP uses it currently...

Miguel
Miguel

Exactly, Diesel, the original layout is still intact. The reason this layout exists is to host MotoGP races, as there was no way MotoGP would accept using Bridge. See it as the price of swapping Donnington and Silverstone. And that is why I like the layout. Unlike Donnington, the original layout will be usable and keeps most of its spirit. Well, and people at Beckets get to see an overtaking spot just 100m further away.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

modbaraban
modbaraban

But are they going to build a new paddock/pits after club like they announced earlier?

wesley123
wesley123

The only thing silverstone needed was new facilitys, but what they do, they build a new section and leave the track for what it is.

Now they are going to race at donington as they ARE building new facilitys, instead of Silverstone.

They are really fking it up for tehmselves, Ecclestone is already complaining for ages about it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

natef1
natef1

BBC wrote:Silverstone is set to spend £5m improving spectator viewing and making its circuit more "bike friendly" before staging the British MotoGP in 2010.

A new section of track will be built from the approach at Abbey corner into an area dubbed 'Arrowhead' at the inside of Becketts.

"The new layout will be more suitable for two-wheeled racing," said managing director Richard Phillips. The Northamptonshire venue recently signed a five-year deal to host MotoGP. After unveiling the provisional plans, Phillips added: "Silverstone Circuits Limited are making a significant investment, but it is absolutely worth it. "Early feedback from both riders and drivers has been very positive."

Phillips confirmed the current grand prix circuit would remain unaffected for the 2009 British Formula One Grand Prix, which will take place on 21 June.

The conventional track will also remain available for "appropriate events in the future".
So it seems there's nothing to be worried about, yet.

nae
nae

Ill reserve judgement until i see some racing on it

but i wouldn't like to see F1 car on it i don't think
to much missing from the traditional
..?

andartop
andartop

Farm-Bridge-Priory is one of the best sections methinks, shouldn't have messed with it. On the other hand it doesn't look as bad as Hockenheim.. Should have spent the money on access roads, toilets and VIP lounges instead.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

blobslosak
blobslosak

I wish people would bloody read what has been said. In order to host the Moto GP race this year, Silverstone needed an alternative to the farm bridge complex. So this is it. Nothing to do with F1. THEY NEEDED TO SPEND THE MONEY ON THIS LAYOUT IN ORDER TO GET THE MOTO GP RACE. Surely this makes sense as with F1 leaving, these changes ensure another world motorsport is coming to Silverstone. I'm sure they'll upgrade the facilities in due course.