BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Callum

Re: BrawnGP

I quite like it, I wondder how much work was done on the car since December.

The front wing looks nicely complex, what flap do you think is adjustable?

I'd like to see a red and blue strip running down the sidepods :D it would match Jenson's helmet!

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Got to admit I'm impressed,

The front wing is boxy and a bit ugly, yet it looks complex and well thought through. The sidepods seems to be pretty nice and they have the smallest of openings. Also like the nose.

Hell...its one of the few teams whos '09 car looks better than its '08 one! :lol:
That wouldnt be hard to pull off, the RA108 was one ugly looking pig, and compairing it to the RA107 it wont be a pig in that cars context.

Moanlower

I'm very curious about their rear suspension and diffuser. Most teams are suffering with rear tyre degradation but if you look at the tyre wear from the BGP it looks like the fronts have to endure the most. Also in a rather strange way since it's mostly the outside of the tyre. I wonder how the result will be on slicks.

Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

2009 Formula One FIA Technical Regulation:

3.16.3 In order that a car may be lifted quickly in the event of it stopping on the circuit, the principal rollover structure must incorporate a clearly visible unobstructed opening designed to permit a strap, whose section measures 60mm x 30mm, to pass through it.

Hmm, there is an opening, but to pass any kind of lifting strap through it would involved a curved path. Although this rule (like almost all of the FIA regulations) is vague and open to interpretation, I expect to see this area changed. Shame, because a lot of work has gone into this area to control airflow.
Last edited by DaveKillens on 06 Mar 2009, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Diesel wrote:It's a shame because it seems this car might be ruined when they have to rip it to pieces to fit a McMerc engine in there.
You mean how it looks seamless?
Well and the fact it was designed around the Honda engine. I know the engines are very similar these days, but they still have different weight distributions etc. There is enough of a difference between engines to influence the overall design of the car.

The car does look impressive, but I don't expect much consider the lack of testing etc. Honda could be one of the biggest "what if's" of '09.

xpensive
xpensive

Actually, I think there's a minimum height for vertical CG of the engine as well?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

xpensive wrote:Actually, I think there's a minimum height for vertical CG of the engine as well?
Correct.

5.4.2 The centre of gravity of the engine may not lie less than 165mm above the reference plane.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

xpensive
xpensive

Thanks DK. Isn't just about every other dimension of the powerplant regulated as well, vee-angle, cylinder spacing, crank-height etc?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

wesley123
wesley123

Great car, cant wait to see the testing of the car.

The car surely has potential, but it wont win a gp, they had an enormous lack of testing so they will start the season probably somewhere at the back.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

xpensive wrote:Thanks DK. Isn't just about every other dimension of the powerplant regulated as well, vee-angle, cylinder spacing, crank-height etc?
Yes I understand that, but the McMerc engine still not exactly the same as a Honda engine is it? The exhausts will take a different shape, things will be slightly different and all together that makes it a different animal to the Honda engine.

Who knows, Red Bull did well with the Jaguar chassis in their first year, and Torro Rosso did equally as well with the same chassis the year after that! maybe we will see something similar here?

MustGoFaster
MustGoFaster

Good to see they aren't wasting any time! Looks like the side pod air inlets are pretty small on this car as well, I know a lot of people were commenting on that with the MP4/24.

Shaddock

From an aero perspective the Merc engine might be better than the Honda. They engines don't seem to require as much cooling as the other teams which would have been a big bonus to RB. They can tighten up the bodywork, around the sidepods and fit smaller heat exchangers.

Still have to rework the rear end tho :?

jon-mullen

Pretty good-looking car, I hope they pull it together.

It looks like it's trying to rival the Williams for longest overall. We'll have to wait for the studio comparison shots I guess.

It's hard to see what exactly's going on with the front wing, and I'm no aerodynamicist, but doesn't it look like those little guys on the inside of the end plates will produce lift?
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

NormalChris
NormalChris

These barge boards legal?

pete555
pete555

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Diesel wrote:It's a shame because it seems this car might be ruined when they have to rip it to pieces to fit a McMerc engine in there.
You mean how it looks seamless?
Is it not fitted with the merc engine now?