1st Safety Car Australian GP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Hudsonhawk.
Hudsonhawk.

1st Safety Car Australian GP

Why did it take so long for the first SC to be deployed. Seemed as though they waited for Button to make his Pit Stop.

Hudsonhawk.
Hudsonhawk.

Re: 1st Safety Car Australian GP

Given this a little more thought.

If the SC was deployed before button had pitted it would have ruined his race and the fair tale.
F1 is struggling for sponsors. In comes Virgin with what was a struggling team. Did they assist the fairy tale finish.
Definately some questions need answering as to why it took so long to deploy the SC. the other SC were deployed instantaneously !!!

BUSINESS IS BUSINESS!!!!

siskue2005

Hudsonhawk. wrote:Why did it take so long for the first SC to be deployed. Seemed as though they waited for Button to make his Pit Stop.
i dont think the SC deployment would have caused Button any problem
as he would have come out in front as he was in front and would have had the first oppertunitty to pit

Hudsonhawk.
Hudsonhawk.

most other teams had pitted.....he would have been mid field at best.

JamesS
JamesS

It did take a long time to deploy, defo result fiddling IMO.

Ruudje
Ruudje

they have a new system in place which would of made sure button remained in front.

Callum

I timed it... it took 2 minutes and 4 seconds!! for the SC to be deployed what the hell???? If that had been a serious accident who knows what could have happend to the driver that had crashed.

something smells pretty fishy here...i don't like it.

shir0

pit lane closure during SC periods is sooo 2008ish... :mrgreen:
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

ISLAMATRON

I'll give em a pass on there first mistake of the year... they got the second SC out there pretty quick...

Its not like we want them throwing the SC out therefor every little incedent.

Just an aside, the Sc messed up alot of people's races by not telling them to go thru quick enuff when it was trying to pick up the leader the first SC. Did you see how scared Massa was to pass it?

Hudsonhawk.
Hudsonhawk.

Islam

yeah it was only a wheel and carbon fibre bits sprayed all over the track, not to mention 3/4's of a car blocking not only the track but the racing line. yepppp, minor accident !!! it took two minutes to access this.....LOL

Yes second SC didn't affect the new team did it. Nor would it have had a negative impact on the new sponsors and teams fairy tale finish. The value of brawn winning in a climate of limited money and funds available is priceless. how attractive must that look to other potential sponsors.

Good to see its still all about the dollar !!!

vall
vall

After the accident most rushed in the the box assuming that SC will be deployed. I am not sure now, but when this did not happen immediately, some decided to gamble that SC will not go out and they did not go to the box immediately. Those guys were screwed. Anyone noticed that? If the SC was immediately out everyone would go to the box.....

Henning
Henning

Maybe the stewards were considering red-flagging the race rather than deploying the safety car. I can see that debate taking over a minute.

vall
vall

well, I think it was obvious that SC should go out immediately. It was carbon and types all over the track. And everyone was driving really slow close to accident. I don't how way it took so long.

myurr
myurr

Henning wrote:Maybe the stewards were considering red-flagging the race rather than deploying the safety car. I can see that debate taking over a minute.
Bet there was no question of the race being red flagged as there was no need or justification for taking that route.

Brundle called it correctly within seconds, why couldn't the FIA?

myurr
myurr

In fact lets start a campaign to make Brundle the race steward in charge of everything.