Who do you think the more clever/smart vs. 'natural' Driver?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TauToadmiester
TauToadmiester

Who do you think the more clever/smart vs. 'natural' Driver?

This likely is a superficial question (do not and can not really know these guys well enough to make an informed decision but...), who do you think are the more clever/smart/thinking/intellectual Drivers vs. so called 'natural/instinctive' Drivers?

I have a couple of opinions but I will allow you to lead the discussion!

On with it!

Roland Ehnström

Re: Who do you think the more clever/smart vs. 'natural' Driver?

I guess the most successful drivers are both smart and instinctive, Michael Schumacher and Jim Clark pop to mind. Prost was surely one of the most "thinking" drivers ever, after all he was nick-named the "Professor" for a reason, but for sure he had natural talent too. Senna was much more instinctive, but far from stupid.

Of the current drivers, Heidfeld doesn't ever seem to do anything stupid or instinctive, while Webber seems to follow his instinct a bit too often for his own good. Hamilton has awesome natural skill and car-control, but sometimes I feel he pushes a little bit too hard when it is not really neccessary. Alonso is perhaps the most all-round driver of the lot.

IMHO and AFAIK...

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Pro drivers do not drive purely on instinct. The quickest and most consistent drivers will be those that get their points right and can hit them dead on every time.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

ringo

Kubica is the most instinctive he made some rash maneuvers in the las 2 years.
I agree alonso is in the middle, but he is the smartest of the lot, always dependable when it comes to getting points.
Piquet on the other hand :? .. is in the wrong racing series.
Hamilton seems to be more philosophical this time around. He drives more carefully and he also knows how to treat the car, anyone notices how he does those moving burnouts behind the safety car instead of just darting side to side to keep heat in the tires?
Nakajima is different he is just suicidal. :lol:
For Sure!!