Diffuser appeal rejected, confirmed to be within the rules

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djos

Re: Diffuser appeal rejected, confirmed to be within the rules

Giblet wrote:Fine fine.

BMW won't be quick.

Don't watch out for Kubica.

I'm just saying I THINK BMW will be quick with Kubica. Quicker than you expect.

Next time I'll let you make my opinions for me.
:-({|=
"In downforce we trust"

ISLAMATRON

Giblet wrote:Fine fine.

BMW won't be quick.

Don't watch out for Kubica.

I'm just saying I THINK BMW will be quick with Kubica. Quicker than you expect.

Next time I'll let you make my opinions for me.

Kubica's speed in Aus was skewed by the fact that he started very light and was on the opposite strategy than most of the field. Same for Vettle who is being fueled much lighter than Webber in Q3.

Kubica lucked out with the SC in Aus or he would not even been close to the position that he was in...

Giblet
Giblet

Oh the violin! :shock:

That means you won. right? :o Just checking. :?

I'm not as good as using smileys and arguing on the intetrnets as you.

What do you want me to say? I tell you its my opinion that BMW will be fast and on you go still. I saw Kubica catch and pass Vettel. The accident not withstanding, I saw BMW getting their car and driver towards the front when it mattered. SC, Kubica's charge, and all. BMW has a pretty good history lately of getting better all the time. Not all of my opinions are based on the lap charts we saw/didn't see.

I was practicing using smileys. Some day I will reach level 10 internet skills like everyone else.

I hope you see the humor and sarcasm in my message, otherwise, meh.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ringo

BMW may not have raw pace, but i can argue that they are the most calculated and incisive team. They always know what it takes to finish a race in a certain time. As slow as anyone thinks the BMWs are, at the end of they day, thanks to the power of predictive mathematics, the beamers will be finishing near the front. I wonder if they even run race simulations that being much more advanced than the other teams? :-k . Last year i didn't expect them to do so well either much less challenge for the championship with a few races left to go. The 2008 car was never the best aerodynamically, but it always finished pretty well.
For Sure!!

jamsbong
jamsbong

I'm really glad that the diffuser drama is finished and I'm really happy with the results.

For those who are complaining (like Mclaren and Renault) saying it will take them NINE long months to catch up and it will won't be fixed so quickly. blah blah... I'm sure there will be teams coming up with the new design even for the next race. Why not gamble on a 90% finished design? I mean the teams got nothing no loose anyway.

I guess the technical race is on again for the 5 teams. Force India and Toro Rosso just need to have their parent team to provide support.

Looking forward to it.

djos

Giblet wrote:Oh the violin! :shock:

What do you want me to say? I tell you its my opinion that BMW will be fast and on you go still. I saw Kubica catch and pass Vettel. The accident not withstanding, I saw BMW getting their car and driver towards the front when it mattered. SC, Kubica's charge, and all. BMW has a pretty good history lately of getting better all the time. Not all of my opinions are based on the lap charts we saw/didn't see.

I was practicing using smileys. Some day I will reach level 10 internet skills like everyone else.

Whine much? :roll:

Where you even watching the race properly? Vettel was on worn soft tyres, kubica was on Hard tyres which where working well, try applying some logic to the situation and while you are at it read islamatron's post! #-o
"In downforce we trust"

xpensive
xpensive

Obviously, my position is that this was not a correct decision in terms of an interpretation of the rules, which should have been rejected already in January, if not earlier still.

Either way, coming from MrM's puppets, it has of course a political back-drop, why it would be interesting to speculate on the repercussions for next year's grid? Surely Renault will be gone, however Toyota might stay if they seize the opportunity to win a race or two, now when they have been given a free penalty-kick?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

djos

xpensive wrote:Obviously, my position is that this was not a correct decision in terms of an interpretation of the rules, which should have been rejected already in January, if not earlier still.

Either way, coming from MrM's puppets, it has of course a political back-drop, why it would be interesting to speculate on the repercussions for next year's grid? Surely Renault will be gone, however Toyota might stay if they seize the opportunity to win a race or two, now when they have been given a free penalty-kick?
Yeah I agree, this has the stench of MadMax written all over it - he's prolly trying to help out his mate the evil-dwarf by trying to divide and conquer FOTA.

I really want to see the details behind the decision especially in light of RedBull & Renault both submitting DDD designs and having them rejected by CW last year! :?
"In downforce we trust"

vasia
vasia

djos wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74483
Red Bull Racing technical director Adrian Newey will not travel to this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix and will instead focus on re-designing the diffuser of the RB5.
"We are working flat-out on a new solution already," said Red Bull's motorsport advisor Helmut Marko. "As the verdict became official, Adrian [Newey] immediately cancelled his flight to Shanghai and will stay in the factory. If everything goes according to plan, we will have the 'new' car ready for Monaco."

Marko says Red Bull was angered by the decision to approve the three double-decker diffusers because it had already submitted a similar design for approval and had it rejected.

"What angers us is the fact that we had approached [Charlie] Whiting for a clarification on a diffuser solution like the one in question and we were told it was illegal, therefore we did not pursue it any further though our design team had similar ideas," said Marko.

"I wonder what impact this will have on cornering speeds. I assume there will be problems soon when cars are going too fast, and the airflow the double diffuser creates for sure will make overtaking more difficult again. Thus it is against the spirit of the rules agreed in the working groups."
I find it amusing that this actually angers Red Bull, when clearly at the same time Red Bull and Renault approached Charlie Whiting with their designs last year, Toyota and Williams were consulting with the FIA regarding their designs. The only logical explanation is that Red Bull and Renault had differing designs which were actually illegal.
Giblet wrote:Oh the violin! :shock:

It sounds like you're assuming Brawn, Williams, and Toyota will sit still in development while BMW progresses.

andartop
andartop

ISLAMATRON wrote:Kubica lucked out with the SC in Aus or he would not even been close to the position that he was in...
:lol: ! So, if we're talking about LH it's skill, for everybody else it's luck?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

ISLAMATRON

andartop wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Kubica lucked out with the SC in Aus or he would not even been close to the position that he was in...
:lol: ! So, if we're talking about LH it's skill, for everybody else it's luck?
LH was actually hurt by the SC in austrailia because he pitted early(He lost 2 positions from when he pitted to the restart), but he lucked out with the timing of the rain in China... but he was skillful enough to keep it out of the Kitty litter unlike Alonso who was also lucky with having a strategy for the timing of the rain but blew it.

Conceptual
Conceptual

djos wrote:
xpensive wrote:Obviously, my position is that this was not a correct decision in terms of an interpretation of the rules, which should have been rejected already in January, if not earlier still.

Yeah I agree, this has the stench of MadMax written all over it - he's prolly trying to help out his mate the evil-dwarf by trying to divide and conquer FOTA.

I really want to see the details behind the decision especially in light of RedBull & Renault both submitting DDD designs and having them rejected by CW last year! :?
Maybe RBR and Renault should have consulted with the FIA directly, instead of Charlie Whiting?

djos

Conceptual wrote:
djos wrote: Yeah I agree, this has the stench of MadMax written all over it - he's prolly trying to help out his mate the evil-dwarf by trying to divide and conquer FOTA.

Maybe RBR and Renault should have consulted with the FIA directly, instead of Charlie Whiting?
Charlie Whiting is head of the F1 Technical Department @ the FIA, who the f#@k else are they supposed to ask? #-o
"In downforce we trust"

timbo
timbo

djos wrote:
Conceptual wrote:
djos wrote: Yeah I agree, this has the stench of MadMax written all over it - he's prolly trying to help out his mate the evil-dwarf by trying to divide and conquer FOTA.

Charlie Whiting is head of the F1 Technical Department @ the FIA, who the f#@k else are they supposed to ask? #-o
I hope when (if) the transcript would be online we would find out how process of approval went. Maybe Renault and RBR had slightly different designs then DDD-gang. The most hilarious possibility is that RBR and Renault asked "hey we want to create additional channels in the diffuser" and CW disagreed, while DDD-gang said something like "we need to create a slots in the floor" :lol: .

nudger
nudger

it was interesting hearing what Mike Gascoigne had to say about the FOTA neeting where brawn put forward his proposals to clarify the regulations.
First, i think it was clear the proposal he put forward was sweeping and effected many areas of the car. Its not entirely honest to picture it that he proposed a solution to close the diffusor loop hole, more that his proposal may have had that as a consequnce.
secondly, it was not entirely open and honest of him to suggest that the teams wouldnt have it...implying all the teams didnt want to know. mike says it was bmw and renault that rejected it.