Lola back to F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Lola back to F1?

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=37640

What they do not tell you was the desaster of the last Lola return.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

wesley123
wesley123

Re: Lola back to F1?

Why not?

I would love to see lola try once again after the 1997 dissaster(probably the biggest fail ever in f1), hope they wont let themselves be pushed that much like it was then
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

As much as I would like to see more teams participate in Formula One, this bit of news has me pondering whether this is a genuine effort to field a team and race, or just to become the FIA approved supplier to all teams. Considering Max's zeal to homogenize everything, a standard chassis for all teams just might be what's behind this deal.
I really hope not, but nothing in the news release indicated exactly what their plans are, apart from some form of participation.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

scarbs
scarbs

I think you’ll find Lola are very different business to that which entered the car in 97 (which was a failure, but far from being the worse ever in F1!). Lola have worked with Spyker\Force India on aero projects and would more than capable of entering a reasonable car for 2010/2011. As far as angling to get the fixed spec contracts, there’s quite a few companies capable of that.

One point I noted today was that Red Bull might consider a Merc engine supply, are they looking for sole supplier status?

xpensive
xpensive

Good Lord, wouldn't a new car from Lola be exactly what the formula 1 world is in need of? :o

Hell, bring back Eric Broadley as well when at it!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

donskar
donskar

DaveKillens wrote:As much as I would like to see more teams participate in Formula One, this bit of news has me pondering whether this is a genuine effort to field a team and race, or just to become the FIA approved supplier to all teams. Considering Max's zeal to homogenize everything, a standard chassis for all teams just might be what's behind this deal.
I really hope not, but nothing in the news release indicated exactly what their plans are, apart from some form of participation.
Thoughtful post, Dave. And very scary. I would think dallara would be another excellent candidate to supply an F1 spec car.

I'd think a standard tub, with multiple positions for suspension pickups, engine mounts, etc would be an interim step. Let us pray that Max and Bernie are gone before they totally emasculate the sport.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I hope I'm wrong on my conspiracy theory.

Here's an interesting article about Lola's long involvement in F1.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74703

pipex
pipex

An autosport article says
AUTOSPORT understands that Lola is one of eight new teams that have entered into discussions with Cosworth for a supply of V8 engines for 2010, and that it could face competition for the available grid slots from a number of other prospective teams, including the USF1 project.
I understand from the text that there are eight new teams in contention to enter F1 in 2010, two of them are Lola and USF1. Any idea of the other teams involved?
"We will have to wait and see".

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

That is awesome.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

xpensive
xpensive

Ooops...coughing up my irony there. Afraid that DK and donskar might be more in the right than they bargained for.

A return to kit-car racing, with a one make kit-car, could be exactly what the EvilTwins have in mind, which would rid them from the potential threat of sharing money and power with FOTA. That would also explain why they don't bother with those manufacturers, when not even Ferrari seems to matter much anymore?

Imagine that, a one make Lola-Cosworth Formula 1, while manufacturers go to Le Mans as the new hi-tech forum?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

I don't see that F1 will go for a spec chassis. All discussions so far have focused on less visible components. While it may be imaginable to introduce customer chassis from the FIA point of view the general opinion is firmly against it. And it appears that the FIA motiv of cost reduction will be achieved by other means. Several teams including Williams and Ferrari have contracts with FOM which will block such spec chassis at least until 2013. So it would not be reasonable for Lola to speculate on such a move.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

pipex
pipex

f1-live indicates that another interested team is Aston Martin (David Richards) :)
"We will have to wait and see".

ISLAMATRON

pipex wrote:f1-live indicates that another interested team is Aston Martin (David Richards) :)
=Prodrive who actually already have a spot on the grid reserved

Chaparral

xpensive wrote:Ooops...coughing up my irony there. Afraid that DK and donskar might be more in the right than they bargained for.

A return to kit-car racing, with a one make kit-car, could be exactly what the EvilTwins have in mind, which would rid them from the potential threat of sharing money and power with FOTA. That would also explain why they don't bother with those manufacturers, when not even Ferrari seems to matter much anymore?

Imagine that, a one make Lola-Cosworth Formula 1, while manufacturers go to Le Mans as the new hi-tech forum?
Hey X - I kind of like that thinking - it works on a number of levels (Imagine that, a one make Lola-Cosworth Formula 1, while manufacturers go to Le Mans as the new hi-tech forum) - you may very well be one the right track who knows :)
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I went to the Lola website http://www.lolacars.com/ and carefully read their press release concerning their potential involvement in Formula One. While my personal wish is for them to compete as a team, careful examination of the wording causes me concern. Throughout the entire press release http://www.lolacars.com/newsstory.asp?NewsId=37 There was constant reference about them supplying a "car". Please note, no mention at all about a "team", but just the reference to "car". Here's an excerpt.

“The announcement that Formula One™ teams may opt for a prudent, financially responsible ‘cost capped’ regime from 2010 has resulted in us deciding to fully evaluate the opportunity to develop a car to compete in the FIA Formula One World Championship™,” said Martin Birrane, Executive Chairman of Lola Group.

Like I said, zero reference about a team or competing, just a mention about developing a "car".

Sadly, I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Max talking about a 30 M budget, a cheap supplier for engines, and now, a company that potentially could be the supplier for the chassis. http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... /9026.html