Massa crashes after being hit by heave spring

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: Massa crashes after being hit by heave spring

jddh1 wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:
Rob W wrote:At what speed do you estimate he hit the tire wall at? I heard on the news it was close to 200km/h but in the video it looks nothing like that fast.
SpeedTV quoted 60 mph/100 kph
Looked like more than that. But it's my estimation so take it for what it is.

Also, everyone feel free to admire the reflexes of these special drivers, that even when he was knocked out he still hit the brake pedal.
I don't think he was knocked out, but very close for sure. I don't think a limp leg would have enough weight to depress the brake pedal, the throttle probably, but the brake pedal is a bit different from what I understand. I think he was probably knocked out on impact with the wall, but came round later as you can see from pictures.

We'll know for sure when he reflects on the accident in a few months time. I agree knocked out or not he was able to apply the brakes hard enough to lock the front wheels which is quite remarkable considering what had just happened.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Ive done some visualisation, box style;

Red - Area that a windsheeld would be introduced
Aqua - Still exposed area
Yellow - Area that is very restricted due to drivers hand placement on steering wheel
Green - Drivers line of sight
Purple - Red Bull style hump area that many teams are looking into for 2010 that would potentially have to be banned

I see many problems, but theres a solution, and i think in a rich buisness such F1, a good one can be found and fast.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

jonathan189 wrote:And here's Martin Brundle's view: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 170736.stm
A solution I can envisage is a partial clear canopy with struts and deflectors, complete with a ballistic or quick release mechanism. Neither of these however would guarantee to have prevented Massa's injury where a relatively small object was involved.

I experienced the end of an era where to some hardened characters in the paddock, a driver was like a light bulb - one goes out and so you put another one in. In today's world people will not readily tolerate fatalities in the name of sport. The car manufacturers and sponsors do not want their products associated with death; safety and performance are what they are selling.

A new step forward is needed with an elegant solution. It's well within their ability for F1 designers to create something but it will take a while to research, develop and implement.
^^ agreed.
Taken out of context, he's not saying thats the solution.

di44ety
di44ety

andartop
andartop

Diesel wrote:...We'll know for sure when he reflects on the accident in a few months time.
I seriously doubt he will remember anything at all from this accident..
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

-KMR_NH-

@di44ety: Nice Vid =D>
Kimi Räikkönen
Nico Hülkenberg

jonathan189
jonathan189

Diesel wrote:Taken out of context, he's not saying thats the solution.
I haven't misquoted Brundle -- he did not say that a canopy is "the solution" but he did say it is "a solution I can envisage", and that a solution is needed. And he's right.

andartop
andartop

from autosport.com:

Full recovery possible say Massa doctors

By Peter Farkas Monday, July 27th 2009, 18:00 GMT

Felipe Massa's condition is continuing to improve as doctors at the AEK Hospital in Hungary, where the Brazilian driver is being treated, denied earlier reports of eye damage and instead suggested he could make a full recovery.

Colonel Dr. Lajos Zsiros, the chief surgeon of the Hungarian Defence Forces, told a news conference on Monday that the 28-year-old had been woken from sedation on Monday afternoon, and was unlikely to be sedated again.

"In the last 24 hours some major changes have gone through in the condition of Felipe Massa," said Zsiros. "His condition continues to be stable.

"During the CT-scan we performed we could ascertain that there was an improvement in his condition. We stopped sedation and after that Felipe Massa became capable of making contact."

"So in the afternoon we stopped the artificial ventilation of Felipe. As we speak he is sleepy, but he gives adequate answers to the questions we ask him, and he can move his arms and legs spontaneously."

"Right now he has no fever, and we have removed the drain tube from his wound. Further improvement of his condition can be expected. During the night we do not plan to do any more interventions on him."

Zsiros denied the earlier reports that Massa had injured his left eye, which led to speculation about his future participation in Formula 1.

The doctor explained that it was in fact too early to tell if there was any damage because Massa was still unable to open the eye: "we can give no positive neither negative answer to this, because at this stage the vision cannot be examined."

Zsiros made it clear however that a full recovery was still entirely possible for the Brazilian.

"There is no such thing as 'this condition', because every case is different," he pointed out. "Of course it isn't impossible."

When asked when they will be able to determine if Massa has suffered any kind of lasting injury, Zsiros said: "There is no interval which we can define, but I would say it should be from one week to ten days."

He added that Massa would remain in intensive care as long as his condition made that necessary.

Dino Altmann, the Chief Medical Officer of the Brazilian Grand Prix, who also attended the news conference, confirmed Massa was now able to speak.

"He spoke, he wanted to know what happened to him. And he had some questions," Altmann revealed. "I would like to say that the family is very happy with the treatment Felipe is receiving here, and there's no question about transfer at the moment."

Altmann said they haven't asked Massa yet if he was able to remember the accident. He also explained that the operation on Saturday, which doctors described as "life-saving", was performed because of the skull damage, not because of brain swelling.

A spokesman for the AEK hospital confirmed Massa's family were already in Budapest, and a room was made available for them so they could stay with him at all times.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

andartop wrote:from autosport.com:

Full recovery possible say Massa doctors
Great info. It seams all this talk about never being able to race etc. is just false news the media is spitting out because it has shock value, f***ing media only interested in money.

tk421

what about a windscreen like the caparo's...

look i don't want to get ripped apart, i know there would be issues with this, i'm just throwing it out there...
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

tomislavp4

Good news :) Hope he recovers soon! That caparo windshield would be my best bet too, deflects everything on it´s way to the driver´s helmet and doesn´t block the stewards when attempting to pull him out...

jonathan189
jonathan189

Diesel wrote:Great info. It seams all this talk about never being able to race etc. is just false news the media is spitting out because it has shock value, f***ing media only interested in money.
The quote about the eye injury came direct from Massa's neurosurgeon. No one has been able to evaluate the injury yet, as the most recent update from the hospital confirms, but when the surgeon said "I am sure the eye is damaged, but we do not yet know the quality of the damage", he was stating his professional opinion having operated on the patient, not exaggerating.

So the fears are real I'm afraid, not fabricated.

chasefreak
chasefreak

yes the fear is real here..
he may no longer race

axle
axle

I vote for leaving the cockpit alone. It was a freak accident...akin to getting struck by lightning.

Take Webber for example, he was in more statistical danger from his bike race in Tazmania, and he was unlucky...no one said change wrap the Tour De France riders in bubble wrap after that...

Freak accidents are just that...quit "solutionising" nothing is broken. 20 years ago he'd be dead, period. They have improved safety enormously and no knee jerk reaction is going to be good.

Sh1t happens in life, Massa is alive, its more dangerous to cross the road or fly at the moment than drive an F1 car.

I wish Massa a swift and full recovery. Danger is part of the "fun" for these guys, Massa himself accepts that and relishes it.
- Axle

ISLAMATRON

tk421 wrote:what about a windscreen like the caparo's...

look i don't want to get ripped apart, i know there would be issues with this, i'm just throwing it out there...
STOP THE SAFETY HYSTERIA! JUST STOP IT, NO INTELLIGENT IDEAS WILL BE CONSIDERED BECAUSE RACING IS DANGEROUS PERIOD!

As a matter of fact go outside and smash your road car's windsheild and rip it off because it is just a silly safety device that only protects you from freak accidents.