Japanese GP 2009 - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: 2009 Japanese Grand Prix Suzuka

Maybe in the same way that enthusiasts love a certain circuit on the calendar but have never even been to the country itself. Or they just love the general characteristics.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

djos

Allow me to quote Seb from the redbull jap press release:
“Suzuka is the best track in the world. I drove the two hours of Friday free practice here at the 2006 Japanese Grand Prix. The first hour was wet, which was pretty scary as I didn’t know where the track went. I’m looking forward to racing there as it’s one of the most challenging circuits with a lot of high speed corners. It’s enjoyable and I think it should suit our car. I like the culture and the people in Japan. Last year, I climbed Mount Fuji and I’ve also spent time in Tokyo. The food is great, although maybe not all of it! Everything about the place is very disciplined and ordered, which I like.”
"In downforce we trust"

ds.raikkonen

“Suzuka is the best track in the world.
`Suzuka' the best track in the world? I dont think many would agree with that. It might be one of the best, but its certainly not the best. That honor goes to Spa-Francorchamps.
Force India might come up with another surprise result this weekend, and the Brawns are definitely the favorites for the win, with Kimi's F60 not far behind them.Lets wait and see.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

axle
axle

Quote from www.pitpass.com
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=39160

Williams Team's Technical Briefing on Suzuka.

Car dynamics
Average turn angle indicates the average angle of a circuit's corners expressed in degrees. The higher the average turn angle, the more acute the corners in the circuit's configuration and the greater propensity for understeer to compromise lap time. Average turn angle at Suzuka is 990 - which is below the average for the Championship. Suzuka is the only circuit on the Formula One calendar to feature a figure-of-eight configuration. The end of straight (EOS) speed at Suzuka was 311kp/h in 2006. The Japanese track ranks as having the 4th highest EOS speed on the 2009 calendar, and this is one indicator of the wing level typically selected to optimise the downforce/drag ratio. Meanwhile, Suzuka also has the 3rd highest average lap speed of any of the tracks on the calendar.

Pitlane & refuelling strategy
The pitlane length and profile contribute to the determination of the optimum fuel strategy. The pitlane loss at Suzuka is approximately 19.9 seconds, which is the 10th most penalising pitlane in the Championship. To complete a normalised distance of 5km around Suzuka requires 2.37kg of fuel against an average of 2.42kg per 5km across all circuits this season, ranking the circuit as the 5th least demanding in terms of fuel consumption.

Safety car
Another key contributor to the determination of race strategy is the likelihood of safety car deployments, which are influenced by weather considerations, the availability of clear run-off areas that allow racing to continue while recovery takes place and the circuit profile, especially the character of the entry and exit into turn one at the start of the race. There has been only one safety car deployment during the five previous races at Suzuka which means the circuit's character is unlikely to induce a safety car period.

Temperature, pressure & humidity
As an example, it is a long observed tradition that drivers arriving at Interlagos complain about a lack of grip and an absence of engine power. Having become acquainted with a baseline of engine and aerodynamic performance during the season, the climb to 750 metres above sea level for one of the final races can, courtesy of the reduction in air density, rob a Formula One car of engine power, aerodynamic performance and cooling. The losses can come close to double digit percentages and thus have a very real impact on car performance. Air density is a factor of the prevailing ambient temperature, which varies most significantly by season, air pressure which is closely linked to altitude and, to a much smaller degree, by humidity. Thus if races are run at the same time each year, the factor that tends to have the greatest bearing on air density is elevation. Suzuka is 50m above sea level and has the 6th highest average pressure (1,009 mbar) of any race venue in the 2009 championship. As a consequence, the circuit's ambient characteristics will have little effect on engine power.
- Axle

Miguel
Miguel

I read in wikipedia that after the Japanese GP went to Fuji, Suzuka has made some modifications. Does anybody know more? I did a quick search in google, but without luck. Are the changes only related to the garages, or was the layout affected?
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

gibells
gibells

Could they have made the changes due to the death of Diajiro Kato in MotoGP in 2003. The accident was at the Casio Triangle. I wonder if they've done something to it there.

Since 2004 MotoGP has raced at another of Honda's tracks- the Twin Rings of Motegi.

ringo

Brawn, basically being a honda developed car, will be strongest here.
Button's WDC is in the bag. :(
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

Miguel wrote:I read in wikipedia that after the Japanese GP went to Fuji, Suzuka has made some modifications. Does anybody know more? I did a quick search in google, but without luck. Are the changes only related to the garages, or was the layout affected?
Here I found a post on PlantF1 forums.

http://forum.planet-f1.com/index.php?t= ... 96&start=0&
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Miguel
Miguel

n smikle wrote:
Miguel wrote:I read in wikipedia that after the Japanese GP went to Fuji, Suzuka has made some modifications. Does anybody know more? I did a quick search in google, but without luck. Are the changes only related to the garages, or was the layout affected?
Here I found a post on PlantF1 forums.

http://forum.planet-f1.com/index.php?t= ... 96&start=0&
Great pictures! Thanks for the link, I really appreciate it.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

gibells
gibells

Can't see Donington being built to that standard. It looks amazing.

sticky667
sticky667

ringo wrote:Brawn, basically being a honda developed car, will be strongest here.
Button's WDC is in the bag. :(
ringing on this a little

I'm curious to see if the Honda brass will be on hand to see their car in action.

jon-mullen

Massa's '06 pole lap

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2BNaXuF ... L&index=36[/youtube]
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

King Six
King Six

I had no idea Suzuka was going through such a hefty upgrade. Can't tell too well just how much of the actual track layout is going to change, probably not much. More of a facilities upgrade than track change.

ISLAMATRON

King Six wrote:I had no idea Suzuka was going through such a hefty upgrade. Can't tell too well just how much of the actual track layout is going to change, probably not much. More of a facilities upgrade than track change.
The angles may not have changed but it looks like they did a total resurfacing, and that can affect alot.

vasia
vasia

Very impressive update to the facilities, I must say. Should be a really good race.