Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Ferrari F10

vinuneuro wrote:That and the end-plates too.
I'd stay by my version — cascades and endplates have a lot to do with air stream conditioning around front wheels, Ferrari have wheel rims for that.

PlatinumZealot

I don't think you can say it that easily though :-k . The special diffusers on the wheels work on the outer side of the car that we know. The front wing end-plates work on the outside as well, but Ferrari's endplates are very similar to most of the cars on the grid when you look on the general shape. So that the rims are compensating for lack of endplate complexity is not really proven.

The inner flaps and elements work on the inside. These deceivingly simple looking parts on the Ferrari make the Front wing work just as good as any other top car as said before. The upper fore most element is almost a simple single profile extrusion with a mini endplate. I was thinking about what you said Timbo, I was looking to see if these direct air outward but I can't really tell, the definitely direct air over the tyres though.
Sometimes the wing uses two upper rearmost elements which almost look like two flat plyboards and sometimes it uses one simple piece. These are very close to the tyre so one would think that their main job in not to deflect the air outward. It's not very clear until we see a CFD analysis on the car lol.

The only other Idea I can think of is that the wing is highly optimised and that the car's body is designed to make more frontward downforce so it does not need much more help from the front wing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ahmedvortex
ahmedvortex

for the ferrari rims , i have asked a guy who work for enkei company , he said that it was very clever but also the max gain on cooling was around 2 % .

natehall
natehall

and 2% in F1 could be quite a large performance improvement. from my untrained perspective it means you could run smaller brake ducts, which in turn would allow more efficient airflow over the body and to the sidebods/rear wing where it can be worked harder... creating more downforce / getting more air through the sidepods for additional cooling.

timbo
timbo

n smikle wrote:I don't think you can say it that easily though :-k . The special diffusers on the wheels work on the outer side of the car that we know. The front wing end-plates work on the outside as well, but Ferrari's endplates are very similar to most of the cars on the grid when you look on the general shape. So that the rims are compensating for lack of endplate complexity is not really proven.
That's why I said version))

dren

vinuneuro wrote:Maybe it's been brought up earlier in this thread, but I find it absolutely mind boggling how simple this car's front-wing is compared to the rest of the field. Where are they getting front end grip from, esp for the way Alonso turns-in?
Overall car weight balance possibly. Also, the front wing doesn't have to look like a transformer to produce high downforce.
Honda!

zgred

raymondu999

From the back nothing seems different? But my untrained eyes could be wrong.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

King Six
King Six

Might be slightly off topic but how much do these front wing pieces usually weigh?

Just to give some perspective of how much effort the pit man is doing when he needs to hold it and place it on, should the nose need to be replaced.

MikeFromCanada

King Six wrote:Might be slightly off topic but how much do these front wing pieces usually weigh?

Just to give some perspective of how much effort the pit man is doing when he needs to hold it and place it on, should the nose need to be replaced.
I've seen videos of people lifting front and rear wings with one arm. It's actually pretty cool to see!

Mr.G

Its aluminium in from of honeycombs covered with carbon. I assume less thand 15kg. But its only my assumption.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

I can't imagine it's too heavy. A heavy front wing causes alot of problems to the car.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Simply put, either they are too heavy (titanium plates of ballast) or the guy is using the trolley just to transport more than 2 wings :)

gibells
gibells

HASAWA ?
:D

imightbewrong
imightbewrong