Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vasia
vasia

Re: Ferrari F10

Astro1 wrote:Looks like Ferrari are complaining again about possible rule interpretations before even seeing the other designs. Could this be the source of the b-spec speculation?

http://ferrarif1forum.com/2010/01/29/is ... pec-rumor/
Ferrari complaining again? What a joke. Ferrari's glory days are over, they are nothing but a shell of their former selves.

Did Ferrari learn nothing from last year? After the DDD controversy, it was pretty clear and obvious what the FIA was allowing and wasn't allowing in terms of diffuser design.

Did Ferrari honestly take the same approach as with the F60 and did not take full advantage of the rules to make a good diffuser for the F10? :roll:

Sounds like Ferrari is already complaining because they know their car is too slow.

Richard
Richard

segedunum wrote:They actually don't have a head-start with 2010 because the purpose of starting early in 2009 was to get an interpretation of the 2009 regulations and to have something approaching the competitive 2009 car they should have had to start with. Meanwhile, other teams have moved on significantly and Ferrari are only really now catching up with 2009 thinking.
.... eh? The aero rules are barely changed between 09 and 10? Also, the fuel, wheel and tyre rules were decided a long time ago. I can only think of the frisbee ban as a late change.

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

have they relocated the fuel tank towards the rear and put the engine behind the driver or do the headers have a sharp turn at the end because they look really close to the cockpit area http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... _right.jpg im asking this question looking at this picture comparing the two cars. or am i just talking a load of rubbish lol

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

allstaruk08 wrote:have they relocated the fuel tank towards the rear and put the engine behind the driver or do the headers have a sharp turn at the end because they look really close to the cockpit area http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... _right.jpg im asking this question looking at this picture comparing the two cars. or am i just talking a load of rubbish lol
I dont think FIA regs would allow that, the exhausts are just really short, should make this possibly the loudest car...

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Personally, the teams should have all shown studio pics of their diffuser.

BUT... This is where i am a massive fan of Pre Season Scrutineering.

All cars that show up to the second last test of the test season, get scrutineered, any protests get lodged then, and before the last test thw WMSC decides wether the interpritation is legal. Meaning that the teams would have to have a solution ready if the part was deemed illegal.

Id also make it that every 4th to 6th GP is where the improvements can be made after the first say 5th GP of the season, or after the first European race. Meaning that teams can really only revise a car 3 times during a season. Basically till the first European based race, the cars are then frosen development wise, then 4GPs later its open for a race, then closed after it and another 4 GPs same thing.

Its the only way i can see the sport being "spot free" or as close to it, meaning better transparancy in the sport, meaning that the fans see better credibility in the sport, and the stature rises.

Id better not start, otherwise ill go back on another rules rant, and they aint that pretty now a days.

Fil

ESPImperium wrote:BUT... This is where i am a massive fan of Pre Season Scrutineering.

All cars that show up to the second last test of the test season, get scrutineered, any protests get lodged then, and before the last test thw WMSC decides wether the interpritation is legal. Meaning that the teams would have to have a solution ready if the part was deemed illegal.
unless this is a new rule change for 2010, i remember the regulations being a little different.

Whilst the teams huffed & puffed over Brawn/Williams/Toyota & their diffuser interpretations during preseason testing, 2009 saw the DDD only get officially protested in Melbourne.
Due to FIA regulations, official team protests could only be lodged during an official race weekend.

"...the legality or otherwise of the design will not be confirmed until Melbourne, when the first official protest may be lodged by other teams."
source

have the regs changed for this season?
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Fil wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:BUT... This is where i am a massive fan of Pre Season Scrutineering.

unless this is a new rule change for 2010, i remember the regulations being a little different.

Whilst the teams huffed & puffed over Brawn/Williams/Toyota & their diffuser interpretations during preseason testing, 2009 saw the DDD only get officially protested in Melbourne.
Due to FIA regulations, official team protests could only be lodged during an official race weekend.

"...the legality or otherwise of the design will not be confirmed until Melbourne, when the first official protest may be lodged by other teams."
source

have the regs changed for this season?
The regs have not changed, but they should. Personally i think there should be one official test where the objections can be voiced, and the week later the WMSC decide over legalitys.

Thats my view over the thing. Its the only way in my opinion.

Personally, there should be at least 21 days testing before a race is even raced in a season,with each designated race driver has to do at least 9 days each. 3 days for a test & reserve driver is sufficient i think.

However, i am in aggreement with Di Montezemolo, there should be mid season testing, but only for 3 four day tests at a track that isnt on the years callender (Valencia, Ricardo Tomo or Algarves Portamao track are the 2 tracks id choose, posibly Motorland in spain as well) but race drivers arnt allowed to partake, only a designated test driver and young driver to avoid the Grosjean and Alguersauri situations, even the Badoer situation again.

Get me on to a rules thing, you start a beast. Im just voicing my opinion on how the sport can become more credible and transparent to the fans and wider public. Stop theese blemishes on its reputation, like the storms that rumbled on last year. Lets be talking about the racing and not the off track politicking, that just makes me feel sick every time without fail.

Fil

oh sorry, it seemed you were stating fact before, not opinion.

i was almost excited they'd fixed the rules!
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Afterburner

If rules are so clear like many people here think why they banned DDD for 2011??

segedunum
segedunum

richard_leeds wrote:.... eh? The aero rules are barely changed between 09 and 10?
Yes, they are......The point being that Ferrari are still playing catch-up for a large part of 2009.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

From axisofoversteer.com
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Astro1
Astro1

From James Allen's blog,

When asked about the F10b rumor, he replied "Ferrari find the rumors amusing"

FLC
FLC

Who is "he", Astro?

PNSD
PNSD

James Allen.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

My major worry for the Ferarri F10 is the same concern i had with the F60 and the Renault R29, there just aint enough space between the front wheels and front wing for futher revisions of the wing and enough adjustment in the wheels to get a more aggressive toe in to a corner.

Heres some visualisation on what i mean, the yellow circiled areas are the areas that i think that Ferarri and Renault have had a poor interpritation of the rules, the rest of the teams have had a better implementation of the rules in this area i feel, as the Red Bull RB5 had a massive gap between the wheels and wing.