Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mr Alcatraz

Re: Ferrari F10

OK here is what I’m on about! :D
Taking speed, and (possibly) weight into consideration,
did it appear that the F10 absorbed that nasty bump at turn 6 much easier than any of the rest of the cars they showed taking it?
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

autogyro
autogyro

Tazio wrote:OK here is what I’m on about! :D
Taking speed, and (possibly) weight into consideration,
did it appear that the F10 absorbed that nasty bump at turn 6 much easier than any of the rest of the cars they showed taking it?
You sure that is not because the whole car is so flexible.
They will have to bend it in the middle to get round Loews.

Sorry.

segedunum
segedunum

They have a nice car Ferrari, they're the fastest and most reliable right now and they're certainly going to win a few races this year, but I wouldn't get too excited yet.

That overheating issue they seemed to have was quite a shock. As soon as they got anywhere near a car in front, and they had less then crystal clear perfect air, they had an overheating issue almost straight away. You saw it when Alonso even just got close to Vettel or Massa to Alonso. No other team had that at all, and if they find themselves down in the midfield at any time, and every team does during the year at some point, then it's going to be a real problem.

They're also still clearly thirsty.

vall
vall

segedunum wrote:That overheating issue they seemed to have was quite a shock. As soon as they got anywhere near a car in front, and they had less then crystal clear perfect air, they had an overheating issue almost straight away. You saw it when Alonso even just got close to Vettel or Massa to Alonso. No other team had that at all, and if they find themselves down in the midfield at any time, and every team does during the year at some point, then it's going to be a real problem.

How do you know there was overheating when they closed to front car, if I may ask?

wesley123
wesley123

it was said over the radio of massa if im correct
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

donskar
donskar

segedunum wrote:They have a nice car Ferrari, they're the fastest and most reliable right now and they're certainly going to win a few races this year, but I wouldn't get too excited yet.
Please, let's get excited about something in F1! As a Ferrari fan, I am excited. Boring race, but good for Ferrari!

That overheating issue they seemed to have was quite a shock. As soon as they got anywhere near a car in front, and they had less then crystal clear perfect air, they had an overheating issue almost straight away. You saw it when Alonso even just got close to Vettel or Massa to Alonso. No other team had that at all, and if they find themselves down in the midfield at any time, and every team does during the year at some point, then it's going to be a real problem.
Not really a shock: their engine has always been one of the hottest. A solution should not be impossible.

You may be right, but if so, then the car's other components more than made up for the fuel consumption. Even if Vettel had been trouble-free, the Ferraris would have finished 2-3. Not too bad for a pair of gas-guzzlers?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

segedunum
segedunum

vall wrote:How do you know there was overheating when they closed to front car, if I may ask?
Rob Smedly was jumping up and down on the radio to Massa about it and Alonso was constantly ducking out of Vettel's slipstream when there was no really go reason to do so.

The thing that would worry me seriously is that changing engines for reliability issues is one thing, but changing because of fuel efficiency?! :? That's a big WTF? Even worse, because of the homologated engine they won't be able to do a thing about this fundamentally.

Speed_399
Speed_399

wesley123 wrote:it was said over the radio of massa if im correct
also domenicali immediatly after the end of the race told to italian interviewer massa got temperatures problems

volarchico
volarchico

This may be a dumb question, but does this mean both Ferrari's only have 7 engines left for the entire season? Or can they clean out the sand-filled first engine and use it later?

Mr Alcatraz

volarchico wrote:This may be a dumb question, but does this mean both Ferrari's only have 7 engines left for the entire season? Or can they clean out the sand-filled first engine and use it later?
It can be used again! It's a real mystery how much it was "compromised". If you believe Ferrari it will be ok for a cooler race climate!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

segedunum
segedunum

volarchico wrote:This may be a dumb question, but does this mean both Ferrari's only have 7 engines left for the entire season? Or can they clean out the sand-filled first engine and use it later?
They can certainly use it again and put mileage on any of their allocation of engines, but you naturally don't want to put mileage on an engine unless you really, really have to for good reasons.

I just found it pretty strange that they changed engines for fuel efficiency reasons. We'll see what Ferrari are like at cooler venues.

mith

I heard they'll use their first engine on FP as long, as they can.

Italiano
Italiano

The way I understand this, is that they have 8 engines, use them how ever they please, even if they change them for every session. But the change must occur only between these 8 lumps. As soon as engine number 9 is used, because the previous 8 are dead, they get a penalty.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

narkie
narkie

Welcome SchumacherM! Yup each of the drivers can mix'n'match their 8 engines to their heart's content. its when they put in the 9th engine that the penalties hit

spaman

Could it be, that the gills on the F10 are illegal? I know that there is a small disruption to make it part of the exhaust exit. But wouldn´t this lead to the interpretation that the exhaust pipe isn´t fully covered as is required by the rules?

Maybe some people remember the problem of the F2009 when they had to shorten the exhaust pipe last year. Wouldn´t the solution found on the F10 be illegal naming the gills "exhaust opening" since you "could see" the exhaust pipe from the top through the disruption (theoretically)?

I am a little confused.