Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Ferrari F10

raymondu999 wrote:Whoa. I was just asking... I'm not one of the more technically-knowledged people on the forums. There wasn't any need to be hostile... not all people here are aero geniuses you know :?
I'm not aero genius either, just applying common sense.
If you had an option of making car quicker or harder to pass what would you choose?

raymondu999

Quicker of course, but in the first place I never understood that a gurney would greatly increase the drag. :roll:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

raymondu999 wrote:Could that have been a deliberate design idea? Make the wake worse so that the car is harder to pass?
The wheel fairings are one of the things that make it harder for the overtaking car I think. That was certainly stated last year by one of the team principles (can't remember which though). And what do Ferrari have as part of their wheels(even though they, as part of FOTA, agreed not to use them this year)?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

timbo
timbo

raymondu999 wrote:Quicker of course, but in the first place I never understood that a gurney would greatly increase the drag. :roll:
Nor that gurney of that size would make significant effect on the car behind...

segedunum
segedunum

The Ferraris were very noticeably difficult to get close to, even when it was clear they were in trouble with their tyres and grip.

timbo
timbo

segedunum wrote:The Ferraris were very noticeably difficult to get close to, even when it was clear they were in trouble with their tyres and grip.
By the time Ham come close to Ferraris he also had problems with tyres.

ringo

timbo wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Quicker of course, but in the first place I never understood that a gurney would greatly increase the drag. :roll:
Are you sure about that? Not saying i know the answer, but they do increase the width of the wake. I don't see how they make the car quicker, especially in a straight line, they are vertical after all.
What i reason is that a wider wake makes it hard to pass at the sides. The following car can take a look, but is greatly affected pulling off a maneuver.
The size of the wake also increases with the speed of the car. The gurney's can make the ferraris effectively wider on the straights.
For Sure!!

timbo
timbo

ringo wrote:
timbo wrote:
Are you sure about that? Not saying i know the answer, but they do increase the width of the wake. I don't see how they make the car quicker, especially in a straight line, they are vertical after all.
What i reason is that a wider wake makes it hard to pass at the sides. The following car can take a look, but is greatly affected pulling off a maneuver.
The size of the wake also increases with the speed of the car. The gurney's can make the ferraris effectively wider on the straights.
Well, you did pretty cool CFD calculations, maybe could try to model that?
Just make sure to include rolling tyres and wing somehow.
My point is, there's already so much parts that generate vortices that their effect would be negligible in comparison.
Also, consider this, if they are adding so much vortices to cause problem for the following car they should be very draggy. Not the thing you want for qualifying?

ringo

Good point. There are many parts that overshadow the effects, like the wheels.

I think the gurneys increase the swirl from the inside area under the wing. I have to check it out. but It's hard to see what benefits they have, ignoring the passing thing. :-k

edit: the gurney does not increase the wake considerably. It serves another purpose, it increases the pressure on the endplate surfaces and region of air a little behind the endplate. It looks like Diesel has a valid point, it may have a noticable effect in yaw condtions. It was hard for me to decipher if it strengthens the vortices at the endplate's upper edge (the curved slits in the end plates serve this purpose already) or if it puts more swirl on the air passing under the area bound by end plates and wing.

In agreement with Diesel, I am going to elaborate a bit and say: in yaw condition the gurney increases effective area on the end-plate (an end plate for an end plate) and mitigates spillage of air across the end-plate over into the up-wash of the wing.
For Sure!!

GreeTz
GreeTz

here's the steeringwheel #-o RTFM :wink:

the vertical gurneys help in the outwashing of flow through the diffuser.

bar555
bar555

BAHRAIN GP

Undergone changes from Launch
1.Modified front wing at Valencia , retained for Bahrain
2.The nose winglets were relocated higher on the nose
3.New barbeboard set under the front suspension at Barcelona , retained for Bahrain
4.Gills were added at sidepods in front of the exhaust outlets at Bahrain
5.New engine cover with a Shark fin at Barcelona , retained for Bahrain
6.Minor changes to the diffuser
7.The rear hot air outlets at the rear base of the engine cover changed at Barcelona , a change retained for Bahrain
8.New front wheel rims , having now external rings , made from the same material as the rim itself.
9.New rear wheel rims

Ferrari may have claimed the first Victory of the season but F10 did not prove to be the fastest car . This title goes to the Red Bull RB6 driven by Vettel . Nevertheless the F10 was reliable and had the best average lap time of all teams . The extra gills and clever designed front and rear wheel rims rised up concerns about their legality but FIA said that everything is according the rules .
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

segedunum
segedunum

timbo wrote:By the time Ham come close to Ferraris he also had problems with tyres.
His tyres only started to go off once he'd followed Alonso around for a bit. You could noticeably see the McLaren moving around rather a lot.

zgred

autogyro
autogyro

Not a ratchet mechanism for the ride height.
Gawd, it reminds me how long Ferrari took to drop drum brakes.