Wesley123's F1 Model

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Wesley123's F1 Model

Ciro Pabón wrote:Beautiful. I spent a lot of time watching the details. Thanks a lot.
Thank you!

Well, another update, let's say this now is Melbourne spec.

Changed the floor, front wing and rear wing plus the bodywork is altered too at the back.

The fin on the front wings end plate is gone, replaced with a plate, like the original only it is a bit smaller. The front wings inner addon is now curved down, matching the lower shape, boosting downforce. There also is anoter winglet aiding air around the tire.

On the rear wing there is an extension at the bottom, just like on the mclaren and other cars.

The floor is changed too quite significantly. The exhaust cover was redone, and on the front there is an quit fat addition to help air around and under the car. The sidepod panel is more bent inwards on the underside doe to the higher floor fin. The bargeboard was shortened due to this.

The rear bodywork is majorly revamped too, being much more form fitted, the hot air exit at te back of the engine over is higher but tighter allowing more air to hte beam wing, this before was a dead section due to the wide exit. This reduction in size was compensated by a few cooling holes over the rest of the car.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

wesley123
wesley123

Malaysia spec here, with a few minor adjustements but a big change in the EBD;
The exhaust now blows into a hole over the longitudinal axle of the car. By this the effects of the EBD are muh bigger. The footplate was changed to incorporate it with a small gurney tab on it to lead the gasses into the hole. The slit in the diffuser wall is also closed.

Of course Malaysia is alot hotter than Australia 2 weeks ago, so i made the cooling holes bigger.

And another changed front wing, the cascade now got a bigger end plate mixing McLaren's idea somewhat, also the fin on the front wings end plate is changed again, this time replaced for a small downward aimed winglet. The footplate was also shortened with a winglet bending more around this area getting ore air around the tire.

wesley123
wesley123

China update.

Not a lot of updates but small tweaks, front wing was changed , the front bodywork and beam wing.

The front wing;
The cascade got a new end plate with some similarities to the wiliams end plate, this gets more air around the front wheel.

bodywork;
The car got new pillars, these are much shorter and further back there are a par of flow conditioners helping the air around the car.

On the rear the cooling holes are made smaller due to the colder weather in Shanghai

Beam wing; The out section was made a bit bigger to tame more advantage of the better position. now the beam wing is more optimal in the different flow fields and generates more downforce.

wesley123
wesley123

Had to write the whole post again, because i forgot to press the post button or something like that...

Turkey update, new front and rear wings and a change in EBD and engine cover.

The floor got turning vanes to direct the exhaust gasses better into the floor.

The rear wing got a new beam wing and is now held by a central pillar. The beam wing also got its slits in the end plate to reduce the vortices happening htere increasing efficiency. The beam wing now is a continuous surface with a vertical element on it serving the same duty as the 'end plate' on the old beam wing.

Also the DRS doesnt work magicly anymore but instead now is controlled by two small bits connecting the main plane and flap. Also the slot gap is increased to make the rear wing less sensitive

The airbox got a different fin, not to full length but this helps manage flow to the starting edge better.

And a much changed front wing with a new main plate getting more air under the wing increasing efficiency. Aso the end plate on the front wing is gone as it wasnt needed anymore. There is a new footplate to accomodate the new cascade. The cascade is a more normal looking one with a huge end plate. The cascade itself blends to the back on the inside bleeding air into the non-existing brake ducts, this itself cuts a bit of downforce but enhances cooling capabilities.

wesley123
wesley123

Barcelona here, quite a big upgrade, features a new floor, EBD, A different front end and a few other changes all around.

The cascade element is muc changed, it feautures a small lip to stop a bit of flow going outwards, the new end plate does the same, this generates a bit more downforce.
The wing's main plane also got a cutout, which helps the flow better when yawing. The wing's inner edge got a way shorter chord, reducing drag.
The cascade end plate also got a new connection element, also seen on the previous cascade this grabs some more air and pushes it around the tire, the part that goes outward goes through a hole in the footplate, pushing air down around the footplate.

The nose in turn is much cleaner and is lengthened with a more pointy tip, there is a small tab on the side of the nose, reducing suspension arms drag.

The floor is completely new and feautures new sidepod vanes and bargeboards with that. The whole floor is now blown by the exhaust, the exhaust exits behind the barge board. The splitter now got vertical elements guiding air around, just like the barge boards.

In front of the rear wheel there is a longtidual hole in the floor, this draw air in the hole and a bit around the tire, reducing drag.
Due to the removal of the exhaust here alot more floor area is available, I am looking in a way to get more air around the diffuser sides, generating the same execution as the exhaust does there.

The new diffuser is a clean and simple design, with a large central channel, generating more downforce there.

The bodywork changed a bit too, there is an addition of a diagonally placed fin in front of the sidepod intake and there is a small part cut out in the airbox, this to help under yaw creating less blockage with the wing pillar.

As you noticed I the pics are way higher resolution as i got a new screen, although it is still hard to see, i got my hands on a copy of 3ds max and i will look if i can render it with that software to get more clear pics

marcush.
marcush.

again cool updates wes!

I certainly do not understand why all the current endplates do end in a outward curve in front of the front wheels .
I wonder if you could not reduce drag by a long way starting a counter sweep trying to direct the flow neater around the wheels.Ma it be the turbulence created in front of the wheel is just to wide to make this possible?

wesley123
wesley123

The outside is just the easiest way to go I guess, directing it to the inside throws a lot of air to the front wheels, and you are losing a bit of wing area. Everyone is doing it in a similair way, with more or less radius, but other solutions failed badly.

wesley123
wesley123

Monaco update here, only one real update, a front wing tweak, further o changes apart from the Monaco setup.

The cascade element got a smaller adition element to boost downforce. it is held by a small pillar to add a bit of strength. This is the only real update for now, I have been looking alot into next years car which is going to be way less conventional.

The rear wing is in its high downforce shape, in Frontal area it hasnt changed that much, but the angle is way higher. It now stalls way sooner, but isnt really that much of a problem in Monaco, the cornering speeds arent high enough to stall the wing. To reduce the flow seperation which will occur way sooner, I have added a large gurney tab, to boost downforce, without having to make weird additions to the car.

marcush.
marcush.

oh my bad I did a lousy job describing my idea...I would not want to direct the airt to the inside ..obviously this creates convergence between the front wheels and adds drag .my point was why do all teams sweep the endplates just outwards and create a very severe upright edge where the air separates from the endplate .This must be a very draggy solution .What about ending the endplate by a counterturn back into the longitudinal direction this would redirect the airflow around the front wheels very close to them instead of forcing the airt violently outwards.

wesley123
wesley123

ah doesnt matter, it is pretty hard for me to understand anyway.

If i understand you correctly you mean that aqt the start of the end plate you would send the air towards the inside and then curve it outside, grabbing more air over and under the wing? In that case, I have already done that in a way, the wing itself first bends inside, allowing greater volume of air under the wing, speeding it up generating more downforce, the holes in the end plate are herefore similair to a multi plane wing, they add airflow to stop the flow from detaching.

I think that with the front wing i have done a pretty decent job getting air around the tire and still manage enough df, the end plate could be longer if i wanted to, but by this there is a bigger hole to get air around. The philosophy i think is furthermore pretty similair to McLaren's solution, we both do not use large bends to get air around, the end plate doesnt curl that much outside, there is a big gurney tab who takes care of that.

f1ar
f1ar

Dude you should be using some CAD program instead of that lousy polygon modeling app. If you want a suggestion, Rhino offers a good, time unlimited-save limited, trial program.

wesley123
wesley123

I know about enough tools to do so, but I simply do not have the time to learn it nor do I have the patience to do so.

wesley123
wesley123

Canada here.

Changed rear wing, the sidepods and bodywork surrounding and the front wing, overall quite a big update.

The front wing got a few changes here and there. The main plane got a small triangle cutout on its trailing edge. Outside of the end plate is a extension of the wings surface boosting downforce. The cascade smaller element is deeper generating more downforce. Furthermore the end plate changed at the back, the split part is cut off on the lower part, letting the air flow freely there, the upper part is more bent towards the wing, drawing more air trough. The slot on the footplate is enlarged and now much longer.

Also the pillars have changed, being longer on the lower part, generating downforce there.

Also I went back to the previous EBD. The floor has changed alot, the splitter area is new and the turning vane is fatter and enlarged.
In front of the rear wheel is a diagonal slit, serving the same purpose as the slot on the previous floor.

The Diffuser got new strakes in it and there is an extension just like on the Toro Rosso, all boosting downforce.

On the sides is a small vortex generator, this with the exhaust gasses seals off the floor better with the rake, making an effectively larger diffuser. The gurney tab on the end is different too, there is a large perforated gurney and on the edges is a normal gurney, drawing more air through.

And the new bodywork.
The sidepods now slope down a bit more quickly and are much tighter overall, getting more air between the rear tires boosting downforce a bit. The sidepods can even be more undercut as i can get a few centimeters closer to the rad on the lower part.

The intake changed too, it is much smaller, although with the Vortex generator and the Mirror pillar in front of it the cooling abilities are slaightly enhanced, enhancing cooling capabilities.

The rear wing is also different, it got a smaller second flap with much less Angle of Attack. The wig also bends donw at its extremities, having a much higher nose up angle in the center. Overall this wing creates less downforce but also less drag, which is good for the Straights of the Canadian track

wesley123
wesley123

Valencia here, not a lot of updates, planning more updates for silverstone

A few front wing changes, the pillars are moved more to the front, so there is less interfeirence with the barge boards under the nose, also this moves the pivot point of the wing more forward, flexing more under high speed.

Also the inside of the wing, the rounded connection to the first plane now is gone, the wing terminates in a more regular way, this sheds 2 wide vortexes, helping in the area behind there. The main plane is of a really high angle so a strake is added to help ground effects.

The cascade was changed in the details, the smaller part has increased in size and the cutout is smaller. The vertical plate on the big wing is moved more inside making the area that bleeds out smaller, creating more downforce.

The rear wing is in a more high downforce setup here, more suitable for the corners on this circuit. A lower downforce wing was possible to with the straights here, but i decided to go for the downforcxe and speed in the corners.

Also the shark fin has changed once again, having a larger area above the rear wings starting edge

Guille
Guille

Wow, very impressive design! What program have you used? I can't figure it out from the screenshots only... :P