The F-duct voted out by the teams

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
vall
vall

The F-duct voted out by the teams

ISLAMATRON

Re: The F-duct voted out by the teams

No tears shed for it from me... alot of this aero crap needs to go.

Set a max downforce limit and let the teams get faster only by improving efficiency.

flynfrog

ISLAMATRON wrote:No tears shed for it from me... alot of this aero crap needs to go.

Set a max downforce limit and let the teams get faster only by improving efficiency.
that is exactly what the F-duct did.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I have to say though it looks pretty awkward to have to block the duct, and do a bunch of adjustment at the same time.....

thestig84
thestig84

RacingManiac wrote:I have to say though it looks pretty awkward to have to block the duct, and do a bunch of adjustment at the same time.....
Thats just the ferrari system though. Mclaren system doesnt seem to had to use!

ISLAMATRON

flynfrog wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:No tears shed for it from me... alot of this aero crap needs to go.

that is exactly what the F-duct did.
You are exactly right... but it also let them run more wing(without as much penalty on the straights), so in the corners the following car was effected even more

ISLAMATRON

thestig84 wrote:
RacingManiac wrote:I have to say though it looks pretty awkward to have to block the duct, and do a bunch of adjustment at the same time.....
Thats just the ferrari system though. Mclaren system doesnt seem to had to use!
McL uses the driver's knee correct? That seems a much better solution.

manchild
manchild

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:45 pm manchild wrote:BTW, I hate f duct/blown wing, and I think it will be abandoned soon. :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8307&view=next

:mrgreen:

Giblet
Giblet

Now that Ferrari have the straight line advantage, I bet Mclaren wasn't fighting to keep it.

Still though, amazing piece of kit, and I love F1 for the developments that happen that nobody could predict.

What kind of wizardry are we going to see next year......
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

mep

I feel a bit sad that they will not continue to develop such a system.
Its a really interesting thing and I want to see where this can lead to.

roost89
roost89

This is a step-backwards in F1. It's a system that increases the efficiency of the car (green cred...good for image) and it was innovative.

Even banning on cost grounds is a bit thin to be honest. It'd get integrated into the car for next season as a matter of course. The design costs would be integrated into that.

Every new item that gets invented gets banned within a season, or so it seems. Usually for trivial reasons.

I hope it's retained, i.e. ruling reversed. Can't stand babies crying because they didn't think of it. Make one yourself, invent something of your own or put-up and shut-up :)
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Personally I'd rather they allow actual active Aero than odd workaround. Its a solution to an artificial problem, not something useful to any normal, real world situation.

autogyro
autogyro

I agree with Eddie Jordan. Reduce aero Downforce to 55 percent to follow the FIA intentions when Max Mosley was President.
Aero has become a little club click for the self serving, it is time to cut it way back before it kills F1.
All the silly little 'cling ons' fitted to Massa's front wing were proved useless because he could go half a second faster with a broken wing end plate.
The team should have thrown both sides away.

Oh yea, F duct----bin it.

xpensive
xpensive

The F-duct, aka "dead zone", is to my mind something in the same cathegory as the last years double-diffusers, an anomaly.

Shame on the FIA for not having the guts to stop these rule-benders in their infancy, a driver-manouvered aerodynamic device?
Get outa here!
Last edited by xpensive on 09 May 2010, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Is only "active" F-Duct forbidden next year like McLarens or Ferraris or also the passive ones like from Mercedes?