German GP 2010 - Hockenheimring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ISLAMATRON

Re: German GP 2010 - Hockenheimring

WhiteBlue wrote:
spinmastermic wrote:A true shame.
blame Bernie. he blackmailed the circuit into doing it, just to cut the cost of setting up the necessary cameras. They actually went bust over the cost.
Really? I thought the local area was told to plant some trees if they wanted to cut some down to build a big highway to the track/town. And this was the compremise that was reached.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Copied from Wikipedia:

"In the early 2000s, F1 officials demanded the 6.8 km (4.2 mi) track be shortened and threatened to discontinue racing there, due to competition from other tracks such as the EuroSpeedway Lausitz and sites in Asia. The state government of Baden-Württemberg secured the financing of the redesign by Hermann Tilke for the 2002 German Grand Prix. The stadium section remained mostly intact, despite a new surface and a tighter Turn 1 ("Nordkurve"). However, the circuit was dramatically shortened, with the long, sweeping forest section chopped off in favour of more tight corners. The old forest section was torn up and replanted with trees. There was and still remains a great deal of criticism of the track redesign."

ringo

Here's the old track,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC4YKF4nafk[/youtube]
For Sure!!

deus1066
deus1066

As much as I loved the old circuit, the current one does always seem to create overtaking... something which can't be said for many of the other newer tracks.

The state of the old track now is a disgrace... they should have at least maintained it in memory and respect of Jim Clark who died there (my favourite driver of all time), although I believe they do have a plaque somewhere commemorating him.

godlameroso

What F1 needs is more high speed sweepers like Pouhon IMHO.
Saishū kōnā

WhiteBlue

ISLAMATRON wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
spinmastermic wrote:A true shame.
blame Bernie. he blackmailed the circuit into doing it, just to cut the cost of setting up the necessary cameras. They actually went bust over the cost.
Really? I thought the local area was told to plant some trees if they wanted to cut some down to build a big highway to the track/town. And this was the compremise that was reached.
Urban myth. The Autobahn 6 was build between 1935 and 1960. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundesautobahn_6

It follows an old medieval trading route. One of the first parts was build in 1935 and became an airfield which later was named Ramstein Airbase by the US Airforce.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ISLAMATRON

Thanks for the clarification

raceman

How many wish for a wet race now? At least me here..... :P

Any chances of a wet race at Hockenheim??

marcush.
marcush.

I´ve been brought up in that area ...and the chances for rain are in that time are...slim
if at all .
Maybe a thunderstorm ...but thats not really what we are looking for ,right..?
So unfortunatelly ...not much in it in terms of hoping for rain..

the current prediction for the weekend calls me a liyar...60% rain risk for saturday... :mrgreen:

But really I don´t believe this .. [-X

mach11
mach11

I hope the german GP of this year is much more intersting than the previous grand prix of this year....

reached half way stage of the season.... its time surprises....
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

ringo

I don't want any more surprises this year. I want a straight race, with the ferraris running at their best, the Redbulls running at their best, and the Mercedes and Mclaren. Too many first corner debacles and new bumpy track sections.
I just want a good old race with all cars finishing.
For Sure!!

marcush.
marcush.

comining back to weather forecasts ...we just had a tremendous rain coming down here in the last days.. so maybe ,maybe again come race day?

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Here's the 5 day weather forescat for the next 5 days at Hockenheim.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/5018[/quote]

marcush.
marcush.

a bit more detailed :

basically a temperature drop from Saturday to sunday from 25/27 to 20 °C
and a 60% risk of rain in all nights from Friday to sunday.
so we might see a green track on more than one day there.. and not the hot oven wich is normal in that time..

http://www.wetter.com/wetter_aktuell/we ... rev=16days

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Its really a shame whats happened to the old track, it was a true engine breaker, under the current rules they would all be using a fresh engine at the start of this event. The thing ive been looking at is the ammount of trees that have been removed to accomadate the new track. Surely they should have left it as is, but the cost of camera set up was massive, this is the same stick that Bernie is trying to hit Spa with now.

On another side of things, Bridgestone is bringing both ends of their spectrum to this event, Super Soft and Hard tyres. Another Kobiyashai style race??? Saftey Cars are a high posibility here, Turn 1 has a big crash rate. When safety cars do come out, results like the last time Hockenhiem was used come about.