Flexible wings controversy 2010

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Flexible wings controversy

Reading the rules, I cannot help reacting over the small numbers, 500N, those are hardly realistical downforce figures?

Then I guess the drag itself can play a role deflectioon-wise when you are dealing with un-isotropic materials.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Re: Red Bull RB6

I think this image will show you what all the fuss is about.

forty-two

During Martin Brundle's pre-race pit-walk, he mentioned a photograph by Darren Heath which had apparently alerted some rival teams to the issue.

Does anyone have a link to the relevant picture? I've looked on www.darrenheath.com for such an image, but couldn't find it. Perhaps he's keeping it un-published in order to sell the rights to a Newspaper/Worried F1 Team?

If anyone does have a link to it, I'd really appreciate it!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

What event/s are those images from? Maybe it's just me but that doesn't look like Vettel's helmut from this last weekend ..

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

No its not this weekend as Schumi never got into P10. The point is the wing is moving.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

If indeed the pics were from the same run session I would agree. There doesn't seem to be too much if any angling of the wing that would infer a pivot point either. That makes me wonder .. maybe they are playing with wing heights from session to session to try to balance the car in aero.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Its certainly from the same session in Q3, the clock shows that. I doubt a sufficient amount of fuel would have burned to make any difference to ride height and the car is not under any heavy breaking in any pictures!

ecapox

jason.parker.86 wrote:I think this image will show you what all the fuss is about.

The suspension is also moving. When the suspension is higher, looks like the wing is lower. In the lower wign picture it also looks like he is turning.

If any of that makes any difference....

marcush.
marcush.

the camera is mounted to the car body ,and placing your curser on other parts of the car demonstartes the car itself is not moving relative to the camera it is just the suspension AND the wing ...

this is obvious since a long time ..

Rino

It's bending more on edges in reverse U-shape...

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

The only real obvious pic of flexi-wing in the past was that pic of Ferrari's upper winglet moving in 2006 when the main-plane flexes down and inturn pulling the winglet's dowel out of the nose cone...the .gif above just shows suspension and/or wing movement...

marcush.
marcush.

these superslomos give some insight I think only 2009 ..watch the interesting pivoting motion of the redbullfront wing it tilts down at the back only it seems...
unfortunatelly this years Grandprix in hockenheim was broadcasted by Ecclestone...no more superslomos... :cry: :cry:

http://www.motorator.com/videos/792

megz

Re: ferrari and redbull pictures ot the flexing wing

It was readily apparent watching the onboard footage of the Red Bull down the straight and into the hairpin. There was massive flex under braking as the front wing was put under less load and bent back to the "normal" level. If I weren't at uni I'd do a quick youtube search of onboard shots.

Merry christmas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlvA2UdXVEY

megz

Watch the pole lap from Vettel - keep an eye on the front wing upper cascades and the endplate and you can see them clearly flex downwards under load - speed and flex back up under braking. It's very noticeable before the hairpin

ecapox

megz wrote:Watch the pole lap from Vettel - keep an eye on the front wing upper cascades and the endplate and you can see them clearly flex downwards under load - speed and flex back up under braking. It's very noticeable before the hairpin

I believe what we are seeing in that video is the suspension uncompressing after braking.

The only reference there is in terms of the end plates is by using the suspension arms. We know that a car will compress under aero load which would lower the body and raise the suspension arms and when the aero load is off the bod raises and the suspension arms lower.