Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kyniu
kyniu

Re: Renault R31

There is the front exhaust infact. Read from polish f1 service. The exhaust pipes turn back 180 deegres and blow gasses back, but from frontside.

timbo
timbo

Giblet wrote:Maybe not ALL the exhaust is routed up front (if any), maybe it is split.
Rules forbid splitting exhausts.

govind112

what are those side inlets for!?!
Doing It Again 2014

Lukasss
Lukasss

Seamus wrote:In your opinion, is it possible the exhaust to be under the floor, as here?

http://twitpic.com/3v8ago

http://twitpic.com/3v89cl

http://twitpic.com/3v897l

I saw some pictures today that may indicate that it is what they actually did, however it might be forbidden to cut out two additional holes in the diffuser, as there is only one for starter

Giblet
Giblet

timbo wrote:
Giblet wrote:Maybe not ALL the exhaust is routed up front (if any), maybe it is split.
Rules forbid splitting exhausts.
Ah. So the 4 into 1 is a mandate? Could the rule be skirted by having two pipes go front, and two rear? That way it's not split, it was just never joined.

.....digging for rule.....
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Giblet
Giblet

Diesel wrote:Image

So you guys think this energy is being routed towards the driver, possibly under?
We don't know for sure, as you don't know for sure the opposite. That is why it is an interesting discussion.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

With all of the talk of a "forward diffuser", I wonder if they've just found a loophole that allows blowing the exhaust under the car and the resulting exhaust + air is then discharging through the low, wide exit in the rear bodywork above the traditional diffuser. Thus a "forward diffuser" without all of the silliness of ducting the exhaust to the front of the sidepods (as some might be thinking).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

countersteer
countersteer

grasping at straws here, but...

Would it make any sense to configure the exhaust to create a venturi effect and draw air, through a duct, from the front of the car to create a negative pressure in this area AND add volume to the exhaust flow that could be used to drive the diffuser or blow the wing?

The additional volume would also modulate exhaust gas temps.

Just a thought...

luca
luca

Timstr
Timstr

So this would be the idea:

Agerasia
Agerasia

n smikle wrote:
Agerasia wrote:Some of the comments on here amaze me.
Comments regarding too much back pressure if the exhaust was pointed forward are just plain false. Engines become very efficient when back pressure is introduced into the exhaust system, afterall that's exactly how systems like Yamaha's EXUP work. They virtually close the exhuast off at low revs.

I expect to see a lot more development over the course of the year in regards to those vanes forward of the rear well. It's an exploitable area with a lot of potential.

Lastly I strongly suspect that the exhaust is blown out the bottom of the sidepods at the point where it starts to narrow.

BS!!
So why didn't REnault use a 1 inch exhaust pipe then? that will give them some real back pressure.

BS'ing aside.. NO and that is a big N O; engines are not supposed to be back-pressured. You are thinking about pulse tuning. Using scockwaves in the exhaust gases to increase flow. Sometimes other methods are used to create reversion of the gasses. That is totally different from back-pressure which is literally introducing a high pressure gradient for the engine to pump against. That reduces power and efficiency ESPECIALLY for a 750hp 18,000 rpm engine.
1 inch pipe? Exhaust velocity would be lowered.

You're last sentence is not accurate. Back pressure DOES increase efficiency. And I damn well know what pulse tuning is thanks.
Tell me, what is an exhaust valve introducing. A backward resonant wave of ......?
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

manchild
manchild

Someone mentioned that sidepod inlet is much bigger, but that's just the impression since cars is all black. Under the Ferrari like forward extensions is a clear splitter at the very beginning of sidepod, meaning that part of air hits radiator directly while the other part is simply let trough above, over and under the exhaust pipe, which doesn't increase the drag as radiator does. Even more, regardless on front blown diffuser, hot air picked up from cooling of exhaust pipe is most likely wisely used at the back in the diffuser area.

darro_nwa1@wp.pl
darro_nwa1@wp.pl

What is those two small thing beside " SUN CORE"

ringo

I think the concept is counter productive. Blowing upstream should only be done on top of the floor. If it's bellow the heat wont be good for the car and the high pressure coming out the engine can cause the floor to lift. Blowing high pressure turbulent air underneath the car can't be good.

It only works in a diffuser throat, downstream, becuase of the ejector principle.

For the blowing to be of use ahead of the engine, it also has to be placed tangential to the curve of the side pod, so as to direct the entrained air between the wheels. This will be difficult to achieve, without any noticeable apertures at the base of the sidepods.
What timstr has is the right idea, but it should be behind the widest part, not ahead of it. What you have there will cause separation anywhere behind that point, as it's not tangential and not contributing to the low energy areas.

If i were renault, one place i would blow exhaust is to the edge of the floor, to create a fluidic side skirt. It's almost impossible to get the exhaust out there legally though.
For Sure!!

ringo

Agerasia wrote: 1 inch pipe? Exhaust velocity would be lowered.

You're last sentence is not accurate. Back pressure DOES increase efficiency. And I damn well know what pulse tuning is thanks.
Tell me, what is an exhaust valve introducing. A backward resonant wave of ......?
You're kidding right?
So increasing back pressure will improve efficiency?
Why not cork the exhausts to ramp up the back pressure then?
For Sure!!