Honda's F1 KERS revealed

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Timstr
Timstr

Honda's F1 KERS revealed

Timstr
Timstr

Re: Honda's F1 KERS revealed

Note the motor-generator in the side pods, mated to the engine via a 5-gearbox arrangement. I gather this was so not to eat into the fuel tank volume. Daring.
http://bioage.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c ... 970c-800wi

Holm86

Mounting the motor-generator to the side like that could be a even bigger advantage in 2011 as the fuelcell is quite alot bigger????

xpensive
xpensive

Imagine that high-tech effort to recover 400 kJ per lap, the energy equivelent of a little more than 10 cc of gasoline,
at the same time as the FIA gave the message of cost-cuttings, big wonder the manufacturers pulled out in anger?

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 26 Nov 2010, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Behave will you? :)
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

scarbs
scarbs

Timstr,
Great link, I'm struggling to see which chassis this is, it bears little resemblance to either the BGP001 or the RA108. How on earth did they get airflor to the front mounted cooler, Nose holes were banned under the 09 aero rules.

timd
timd

Imagine a brawn at the start of the year with decent Kers and arguable marginally better weight dist with the original honda engine (i still believe the engines are very close to each other and this deficit is an excuse for inefficent aero)

It would have been a landslide more than it already was at the start of the season.

czt
czt

scarbs wrote:Timstr,
Great link, I'm struggling to see which chassis this is, it bears little resemblance to either the BGP001 or the RA108. How on earth did they get airflor to the front mounted cooler, Nose holes were banned under the 09 aero rules.
Nose holes in the Ferrari style were certainly banned, but it looks like ones in the tip were still allowed:

Raptor22
Raptor22

2009 HOnda F1 KERS

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010/11 ... -7-kg.html

I wonder if part ofthsi technolkogy will find its way into the Mercedes W02 for 2011?
Brawn was assisting with the development of this unit.

Also, I think we will see significant weight reduction on the KERS next year with the use of A123 battery technology. These are the latest Lithium Iron nano PHosphate batteries

Steven
Owner

A small venting hole in the tip of the nose would likely be sufficient for the battery cooling. It's not like McLaren's cooling aperture for their battery pack was so huge anyway.

Does anyone have an idea what would be the heat that needs to be dissipated from the battery pack here? I presume it would be similar to McLaren's as well.

I'm still wondering about how they could position the batts in the nose (or under the tub). First of all, the height of the weight is a concern, no matter how low you try to put it into 'the keel' (especially interesting as F1 cars lack any kind of keel these days). You'd have your batteries almost certainly located above the wheel's centreline.

Sawtooth-spike

Tomba wrote: I'm still wondering about how they could position the batts in the nose (or under the tub). First of all, the height of the weight is a concern, no matter how low you try to put it into 'the keel' (especially interesting as F1 cars lack any kind of keel these days). You'd have your batteries almost certainly located above the wheel's centreline.
Also, from what i can see they would be right under the driver. So thats going to require something to get most of the heat away from the diver or they would be cooked by the end of the race.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

autogyro
autogyro

If you can mount the batteries across the car as wide as is possible without upsetting aero to much, it would place a lot of the battery weight over the inside of the car in corners.
Just a thought.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Honda in 2008 did test their KERS in a RA106, i belive the chassis was names the RA106-06K as the RA106 chassis only went up to RA106-05, and as Honda seemingly dodnt get to use 06 as Rubens was happy with 01 that year.

This is pretty consistant with what BMW Sauber did that year also, they built 9 F1.06s but F1.06-10 was named F1.06K-10 as it was the BMW KERS test bed. McLaren also had a Merceded KERS development car, but was never seen as it done all the work on a rolling road at Woking, and Ferarri tested a F2007 with KERS on it, but was only seen at Mugello and Marenello mainly in secret tests, and if Ferrari did do that it would be F2007K-265 that could have been used. As for Renault, im not so sure on that one, Toyota used a modified TF108 for their KERS and TF109-02K as well.

That would be a pretty plausable explination for such diagrams being used i think.

scarbs
scarbs

ESPImperium wrote:
Honda in 2008 did test their KERS in a RA106, i belive the chassis was names the RA106-06K as the RA106 chassis only went up to RA106-05, and as Honda seemingly dodnt get to use 06 as Rubens was happy with 01 that year.

This is pretty consistant with what BMW Sauber did that year also, they built 9 F1.06s but F1.06-10 was named F1.06K-10 as it was the BMW KERS test bed. McLaren also had a Merceded KERS development car, but was never seen as it done all the work on a rolling road at Woking, and Ferarri tested a F2007 with KERS on it, but was only seen at Mugello and Marenello mainly in secret tests, and if Ferrari did do that it would be F2007K-265 that could have been used. As for Renault, im not so sure on that one, Toyota used a modified TF108 for their KERS and TF109-02K as well.

That would be a pretty plausable explination for such diagrams being used i think.
Thats a good point, I looked up the pictures from that test. The few pictures of the Honda test car bore no resemblance to the car pictured, i.e. no undernose batteries or nose tip cooling inlet.

I've also heard this electric KERS was the Honda R&D Tochigi design, not the HondaF1 Brackley system which was the flywheel flybrid solution. this latter system was designed and unit tested, but a chassis was never built for it.

The Honda R&D set up was returned to Japan and won't be available to the current team

jamsbong
jamsbong

wow! I still can't believe Honda pulled out from the 2009 season.

anyway, it looks to be an interesting design.

Edis
Edis

Re: 2009 HOnda F1 KERS

Raptor22 wrote:http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010/11 ... -7-kg.html

I wonder if part ofthsi technolkogy will find its way into the Mercedes W02 for 2011?
Brawn was assisting with the development of this unit.

Also, I think we will see significant weight reduction on the KERS next year with the use of A123 battery technology. These are the latest Lithium Iron nano PHosphate batteries
McLaren used batteries from A123Systems already back in 2009 and nothing significant have happend since then. Lithium iron phosphate can offer a high power density, but the energy density is quite poor compared to other chemistries. Of course, the latter is of little importance for F1.

Renault used batteries from SAFT.

The batteries are worn out after two races.