Diamond Block?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
jsnyder49428
jsnyder49428

Diamond Block?

Now I know it sounds crazy but hear me out. HYPOTHETICALLY, as in if diamonds were cheap and easily machined, wouldn't diamond be good for an engine block? or at least a coating for the cylinders?

I mean diamond has a low coefficient of friction and a high thermal conductivity, its also pretty strong. How heavy is diamond anyway? What about alternatives?

Tear my theory apart please, I always think of stuff like this and theres always a hole in it somewhere, I just want to know where so I can casually move on to the next half baked idea.

marcush.
marcush.

Re: Diamond Block?

DLC coatings anyone?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon

this has found entry in series production even at quasi mass produced cars ....sorry you are a bit late .
Admittedly the series applications are mainly valvetrain and turbochargers (variable turbine geometry parts)

jsnyder49428
jsnyder49428

Darn, and being the college freshman I am I thought I knew everything. #-o

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

jsnyder49428 wrote:Darn, and being the college freshman I am I thought I knew everything. #-o
When I got to college and knew people with junior standing their first year, triple majoring in molecular biology and other things... I realized pretty quickly that I was a dumbass!
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

marcush.
marcush.

there is a load of cool people out htere in the world ..

Joe Schubeck introduced DLC to me 12 years ago....and even back then it seemed it was an old hat to him...

Giblet
Giblet

I met a guy who went to MIT and even though he was incredibly intelligent, he said he was just a SPAMIT. Just a 'stupid person at MIT'.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

flynfrog

Jersey Tom wrote:
jsnyder49428 wrote:Darn, and being the college freshman I am I thought I knew everything. #-o
When I got to college and knew people with junior standing their first year, triple majoring in molecular biology and other things... I realized pretty quickly that I was a dumbass!
yes but I also met people majoring in exercise sports and communications and then I felt slightly better about my awesome level

MIKEY_!

Vibrations ... nuff said.

As kool as a diamond block would be any vibration would cause the diamond components to shatter. not great at 18,000 rpm.

PhillipM
PhillipM

^^Doubtful.

However, it would burn pretty damned well.

MIKEY_!

Burning... ha ha ha never thought of that, probably true. Also not great at 18,000 rpm

flynfrog

nikkiwade
nikkiwade

I never thought of that. you got super wild ideas. haha!

HampusA

jsnyder49428 wrote:Now I know it sounds crazy but hear me out. HYPOTHETICALLY, as in if diamonds were cheap and easily machined, wouldn't diamond be good for an engine block? or at least a coating for the cylinders?

I mean diamond has a low coefficient of friction and a high thermal conductivity, its also pretty strong. How heavy is diamond anyway? What about alternatives?

Tear my theory apart please, I always think of stuff like this and theres always a hole in it somewhere, I just want to know where so I can casually move on to the next half baked idea.
Even if Diamonds is the hardest natural material we know of it´s still a fragile material.

they use it in cutters and when building tunnels etc but even there the diamonds cutters break and they have to replace them.

So for engine blocks doing 200.000km i´m not so sure it´s better then aluminium or whatever mixed metals the car industry uses today.
The truth will come out...

xpensive
xpensive

Naah, I'm certain that an engine-block made from pure diamond would be durable enough for more than 200 000 km,
just make sure that the cylinder-heads are properly tightened.

Besides, a diamond-block would be so cool, imagine what it could do for combustion development, when you would
actually be able to see the process as it happens irl!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

MIKEY_!

Aren't there some serious vibrations even when an engine is working as it should?