How much does it cost to sponsor an F1 Team?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
forty-two

How much does it cost to sponsor an F1 Team?

I know that this is a little bit of a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but if, say I wanted to sponsor an F1 team, in return for my company name/logo appearing 10x10 cm on, say one of the bargeboards, and I picked, say a bottom three team, what SORT of money would I be looking at?

Are we talking £100m for a single race, or £10k for an entire season?

I expect that this question is too open ended to get a proper answer, but I suspect that some of you guys on this forum will have at least some ideas?

Thanks in advance!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Caito
Caito

Re: How much does it cost to sponsor an F1 Team?

The only thing that I've got to say is that it's much borader than the sticker in the car.

It ussually goes to clothes, travelling equipment, things here and there, etc.

There's much more than what we see on tv. And lots of times there are also trades. Meaning they pay with stuff. As tictac and marlboro ads of ferrari.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

GSBellew
GSBellew

forty-two wrote:"how long is a piece of string"
Thats an easy one, The length of a piece of string is twice the length from the middle to one end.

The cost of sponsorship is a much more difficult one to answer :lol:

Paul

You could get a pretty big logo on a non-existent HRT for the cost of photoshopping its livery. 8)

FW17

With so many teams (williams, HRT, sauber) running short of a main Sponsor to fill the side pod space and other major space will be see teams running local sponsorship at each GP?

Brawn did it in 2009 and made a decent amount of case. With track side sponsorship tightly controlled by the FOM, one race deal with teams will be great deal for local companies for moving bill boards. Teams should tap into this untapped market during these tight times.

eg: A $2 million deal at each track will give a team $40 million through the season which is what the a title sponsorship costs.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Petronas gave BMW Sauber €55m a year for for the BMW years, they now give Mercedes €35m for title sponsorship. Williams receive €22m from AT&T.

The biggest single sponsor in F1 is Red Bull, and that is to €250m for its works team and ¢90m for its junior team. Behind that its Ferrari and the Morris Group, they get €175m.

However, if you look at some of the least prominent sponsorships, take CNN on Team Lotus front wing, that is a €5.5m and the similar deal with CNBC on the Marussia Virgin is only €3.2m.

Sponsorship is the old pice of sting, how long is it. However some sponsorships are backed up with allot of technical support, case in point is Brigestone from 2007 to 2010, they cave each team a minimum of €10m sponsorshp and roughly €20m of technical support. Pirelli are running it slightly differently, the top 10 teams from the year previous pay €4.5m with free tire engineers, the teams that went top 10 are given a reduced rate of €2.5m with free engineers.

Another case in point is non car sponsors, like Sauber with Mitsubishi Electric, who will only appear on headed paper/press releases/web site only. They only supply technical support.

Teams are run in many different ways, and all need to get support from different means.

The above post is the future for many teams, race by race deals, regional deals, and is now ultimately cheaper for companies to get their logos on TV, as FOMs rates are all inflated for trackside sponsorship, the cheapest is Allianz at €15m for 2011 with a 6% accumulator on the previous season and thats only for the pit lane only. And as long as the car livery is the same, its in the sporting rules, it means that teams can go for race by race deals, and get a larger budget. Williams, Sauber and Hispania will follow this route this year i think. All other teams will do it in a smaller way i feel.

SiLo

Assuming string is the same as rope, 1 rope = 3.7783 metres. True story.
Felipe Baby!