All 2011 cars are illegal

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marekk
marekk

All 2011 cars are illegal

3.15 With the exception of the parts necessary for the adjustment described in Article 3.18, any car system, device or procedure which uses, or is suspected of using, driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited.
Ad absurdum.

If a driver moves his right feet, changing throttle position, exhaust gases flow changes as well.

If this car uses it's exhaust to influence aerodynamics (AFAIK all 2011 cars do, maybe except HRT), than this car is illegal.

Callum

Re: All 2011 cars are illegal

The same could be said when the exhausts were aimed at the rear wing...

The same could be said when you put the exhaust ANYWHERE on the car...

bot6
bot6

Yep, I think you're pushing things a little bit too far mate. Looks a bit like you're trying to find an excuse for the teams using the bendy wings (especially that one with the colorful bovine male as a symbol). Considering how active the FIA are on the matter, I think they'll be fine without the extra help.

Giblet
Giblet

If we took the rules completely literally then the engine, like the mass damper, is an aerodynamic device.

I look forward to drivers sticking their hands out and using them as turning vanes.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

marekk
marekk

As siad, ad absurdum. But it shows how hard it is to find right wording, and how easy it is to mess the things if you play with the rules every year.

@bot6: i didn't find any technical evidence it's a male :)

Lindz

Female bulls? #-o

FJCA

Lindz wrote:Female bulls? #-o
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

raymondu999

Hell of a first post :mrgreen: Welcome to the forums btw
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Maidel
Maidel

Surely the way the teams would look at this is that it's not the drivers movement that's actually causing the change. The drivers movement is affecting the engine which is, as a by product, changing the aero.

But that surely isn't the rule that the crimson cow is potentially falling foul of as their wing is not altered (as far as we know) by the driver, rather simply by airflow.

raymondu999

if that was your thinking, then the f-duct only blocked the hole, which in turn channeled air, and in turn, changed the aero of the rear wing
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

tarzoon

ad absurdum:

"3.99124324. Thou, the driver, shall not eat beans at least 24 hours before any race."

Let's get serious around here: rules are meant to be bent and twisted - not broken! Apart from sauber, who might have made a mistake somehow, all the others are doing everything under what is in the rules and regulations.

But instead of searching for better aero effect, why not search for power increase?

Maidel
Maidel

raymondu999 wrote:if that was your thinking, then the f-duct only blocked the hole, which in turn channeled air, and in turn, changed the aero of the rear wing
No, the f duct was a specific device added to the cars solely for that purpose, whereas the engine is part of the car standard to all teams, thus the rules don't cover engine by products. Or at least that would be my reading of it.

raymondu999

Ok, so the steering wheel produces a change when rotated that affects the car's frontal aero profile as the forward projection of the front tyres are changed. Point being. Sometimes we can't go too pedantic, funny as it is with regs
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Maidel
Maidel

raymondu999 wrote:Ok, so the steering wheel produces a change when rotated that affects the car's frontal aero profile as the forward projection of the front tyres are changed. Point being. Sometimes we can't go too pedantic, funny as it is with regs
I can't argue with that one. All cars are illegal, ban them all. :)

Formula None
Formula None

Ha! Brilliant marekk.
3.15 With the exception of the parts necessary for the adjustment described in Article 3.18, any car system, device or procedure which uses, or is suspected of using, driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited.
So, driver movements which place the car behind another another car to deliberately reduce downforce & drag are also illegal? That means ALL F1 cars, not just 2011 cars, are illegal. I am shocked and appalled.