Air intake in nose cone of F2008/MP4-23 ?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi,
I noticed that the new Ferrari and the new Mclaren both feature, what i would guess to be a small air intake in the tip of their nose cones.
There is a small hole in the tip with a mesh behind it.
My question is; what is the purpose? What could possibly need cooling in the nose cone?
Image
Nicolai
 
Joined: 14 Jan 2008

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:18 pm

Nicolai wrote:Hi,
I noticed that the new Ferrari and the new Mclaren both feature, what i would guess to be a small air intake in the tip of their nose cones.
There is a small hole in the tip with a mesh behind it.
My question is; what is the purpose? What could possibly need cooling in the nose cone?


AFAIK - The Driver.
- Axle
axle
 
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Location: Norfolk, UK

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:34 pm

Many teams have them for several years now. They are for cooling of driver and suspension/steering elements as well as all electronics that can be found from the end of the nose till the end of the cockpit. It can get extremely hot in cockpit if not ventilated.
manchild
 
Joined: 3 Jun 2005

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:02 pm

Strangely, and interestingly, during the Michael Schumacher era the Ferraris never had intakes in the tip of the nose. Any supplimentary air was provided by a scoop in the top of the front chassis.
Beer is cheaper than therapy.
DaveKillens
 
Joined: 20 Jan 2005

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:06 pm

I remember a B.A.R. mechanic calling it a 'donkey dick' on one of the F1 reviews froma few years ago.
Iciano
 
Joined: 7 Mar 2006
Location: Ireland

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:55 pm

look for Hungary 2005 pre race interview with Herbert.

He said the same thing as most here.

I also assume it reduces drag.

Also these were on the cars after a few races in 2007 already.
bizadfar
 
Joined: 3 Jan 2007

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:02 pm

The nose intake was a feature of the Ferrari a few races into the season last year. It must not be necessary though, as Massa's car had the intake plugged while Raikkonen's was usually open.
bhall
 
Joined: 28 Feb 2006

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:15 pm

Some examples:

248 F1
Image

RA106
Image

RB1
Image

RB3, RA107 (link)

F1.07
Image


Interesting how BMW.Sauber had no nosecone hole in 2007 then had one in 2007 and again got rid of it for 2008.
Image
Image
Last edited by modbaraban on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modbaraban
 
Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:25 am

Ah that explains it. Thank you all. I never noticed it on the old cars till now.
Nicolai
 
Joined: 14 Jan 2008

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:34 pm

I'm no aerodynamicist, so maybe someone can help me out here. I've read some suggestions that the placement is also a place to get rid of stagnant air that "pools" at the front of the nose cone. So instead of air building up in front, it instead gets sucked inside. Any truth to this?
eidetic
 
Joined: 7 Jun 2007

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:19 pm

eidetic wrote:I'm no aerodynamicist, so maybe someone can help me out here. I've read some suggestions that the placement is also a place to get rid of stagnant air that "pools" at the front of the nose cone. So instead of air building up in front, it instead gets sucked inside. Any truth to this?

As far as I'm aware it's aerodynamically beneficial to clock the nosecone hole, as they do it when extra cooling isn't absolutely necessary.

Image
Image
(there's a hole, but it's blocked if you have a closer look)
modbaraban
 
Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:57 am

Also notice that when the perforated nose is/was used the mirror on the driver's left is NOT identical to the other mirror. It is more sculpted on one side, rather than "smooth"

That anomoly/aerodynamic solution is particularly apparent on the F2007. I got a gorgeous Ferrari F1 calendar for Xmas and the photos there make the differing mirror shapes very apparent.

Any ideas why?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill
donskar
 
Joined: 3 Feb 2007
Location: Cardboard box, end of Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:07 am

donskar wrote:Also notice that when the perforated nose is/was used the mirror on the driver's left is NOT identical to the other mirror. It is more sculpted on one side, rather than "smooth"

That anomoly/aerodynamic solution is particularly apparent on the F2007. I got a gorgeous Ferrari F1 calendar for Xmas and the photos there make the differing mirror shapes very apparent.

Any ideas why?

I was under the impression that the bulge on one of the mirrors was due to the cockpit/rear facing camera mounting. Or at least thats what I was told a few months ago by someone on this forum. So if this is true, then there is no corrolation between the nosecone hole and the bulge on the mirror(s).
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.
mx_tifoso
 
Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Location: North America

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:00 pm

It is indeed a camera, it was occasionally used on I *think* only on Kimi's car and on the warm down laps usually but I do know of a clip during French GP quali where Kimi goes off onto the grass and a replay was from that camera showing Kimi checking his mirrors before getting back on track :lol:
megz
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Location: New Zealand

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:47 pm

according to italian newspaper Autosprint Ferrari is studying a very different nose cone intake to shape a better air flow around the car body.
alleyoop
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2007

Next

Return to General chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Mr George, stephz0, WilliamsF1 and 11 guests