Air intake in nose cone of F2008/MP4-23 ?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Nicolai

Air intake in nose cone of F2008/MP4-23 ?

Hi,
I noticed that the new Ferrari and the new Mclaren both feature, what i would guess to be a small air intake in the tip of their nose cones.
There is a small hole in the tip with a mesh behind it.
My question is; what is the purpose? What could possibly need cooling in the nose cone?

axle

Re: Air intake in nose cone of F2008/MP4-23 ?

Nicolai wrote:Hi,
I noticed that the new Ferrari and the new Mclaren both feature, what i would guess to be a small air intake in the tip of their nose cones.
There is a small hole in the tip with a mesh behind it.
My question is; what is the purpose? What could possibly need cooling in the nose cone?
AFAIK - The Driver.
- Axle

manchild

Many teams have them for several years now. They are for cooling of driver and suspension/steering elements as well as all electronics that can be found from the end of the nose till the end of the cockpit. It can get extremely hot in cockpit if not ventilated.

DaveKillens

Strangely, and interestingly, during the Michael Schumacher era the Ferraris never had intakes in the tip of the nose. Any supplimentary air was provided by a scoop in the top of the front chassis.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Iciano

I remember a B.A.R. mechanic calling it a 'donkey dick' on one of the F1 reviews froma few years ago.

bizadfar

look for Hungary 2005 pre race interview with Herbert.

He said the same thing as most here.

I also assume it reduces drag.

Also these were on the cars after a few races in 2007 already.

bhall

The nose intake was a feature of the Ferrari a few races into the season last year. It must not be necessary though, as Massa's car had the intake plugged while Raikkonen's was usually open.

modbaraban

Some examples:

248 F1

RA106

RB1

RB3, RA107 (link)

F1.07

Interesting how BMW.Sauber had no nosecone hole in 2007 then had one in 2007 and again got rid of it for 2008.
Last edited by modbaraban on 15 Jan 2008, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolai

Ah that explains it. Thank you all. I never noticed it on the old cars till now.

eidetic

I'm no aerodynamicist, so maybe someone can help me out here. I've read some suggestions that the placement is also a place to get rid of stagnant air that "pools" at the front of the nose cone. So instead of air building up in front, it instead gets sucked inside. Any truth to this?

modbaraban

eidetic wrote:I'm no aerodynamicist, so maybe someone can help me out here. I've read some suggestions that the placement is also a place to get rid of stagnant air that "pools" at the front of the nose cone. So instead of air building up in front, it instead gets sucked inside. Any truth to this?
As far as I'm aware it's aerodynamically beneficial to clock the nosecone hole, as they do it when extra cooling isn't absolutely necessary.

(there's a hole, but it's blocked if you have a closer look)

donskar

Also notice that when the perforated nose is/was used the mirror on the driver's left is NOT identical to the other mirror. It is more sculpted on one side, rather than "smooth"

That anomoly/aerodynamic solution is particularly apparent on the F2007. I got a gorgeous Ferrari F1 calendar for Xmas and the photos there make the differing mirror shapes very apparent.

Any ideas why?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

mx_tifoso

donskar wrote:Also notice that when the perforated nose is/was used the mirror on the driver's left is NOT identical to the other mirror. It is more sculpted on one side, rather than "smooth"

That anomoly/aerodynamic solution is particularly apparent on the F2007. I got a gorgeous Ferrari F1 calendar for Xmas and the photos there make the differing mirror shapes very apparent.

Any ideas why?
I was under the impression that the bulge on one of the mirrors was due to the cockpit/rear facing camera mounting. Or at least thats what I was told a few months ago by someone on this forum. So if this is true, then there is no corrolation between the nosecone hole and the bulge on the mirror(s).
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

megz

It is indeed a camera, it was occasionally used on I *think* only on Kimi's car and on the warm down laps usually but I do know of a clip during French GP quali where Kimi goes off onto the grass and a replay was from that camera showing Kimi checking his mirrors before getting back on track :lol:

alleyoop

according to italian newspaper Autosprint Ferrari is studying a very different nose cone intake to shape a better air flow around the car body.