Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gridwalker
gridwalker

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Saying it is quicker doesn't necessarily mean that it will be quicker all the time, under all circumstances and across individual driving styles; it is just a theoretical gain, not a concrete one.

FRIC may marginally reduce the theoretical top speed, but provide a car that is more predictable and forgiving, giving the drivers a better opportunity to reach that theoretical maximum.

There are always ways and means of spinning a story; those comments simply fill column inches but have so little context that they are virtually meaningless.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

dans79

pmneo wrote: They key question is, why should they race with FRIC, if the car could be quicker without FRIC ...
I think the answer to your question is tire wear, I'm pretty sure I heard scarabs mention it.
197 104 103 7

Ferraripilot

Can anyone confirm MB has been running their Fric system at all circuits this year? I had heard it was not in use at every track so far but cannot confirm the source as entirely reliable.

PlatinumZealot

Sometimes you see photos of the mechanics priming the system with hydraulic fluid while they are assembling the cars on Thursdays. So I guess if you have the time and are hardy enough you can search through the Thursday photos for each Grand Prix to see when they had used FRIC.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

trinidefender
trinidefender

n smikle wrote:Sometimes you see photos of the mechanics priming the system with hydraulic fluid while they are assembling the cars on Thursdays. So I guess if you have the time and are hardy enough you can search through the Thursday photos for each Grand Prix to see when they had used FRIC.
Couldn't they also just be filling the brake or power steering reservoir? Or may be doing something that only involves the left and right side hydraulic connections which I don't believe were banned? Were they?

pmneo
pmneo

Amus just wrote that they will bring some updates from Silverstone test to Germany, and they found and fixed the Problem with Nico's Gearbox:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/mercedes-heimspiel-in-hockenheim-technik-updates-und-getriebe-entwarnung-8465627.html wrote: "Wir werden eine Reihe weiterer Verbesserungen mitbringen, die wir bei den Testfahrten in Silverstone in der vergangenen Woche schon ausprobiert haben. Wir hoffen sowohl auf eine verbesserte Performance als auch eine bessere Zuverlässigkeit", erklärte Technikchef Paddy Lowe.
"We will bring a number of other improvements that we have already tried in testing at Silverstone last week. We hope to for improved performance and better reliability," said technical director Paddy Lowe.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/mercedes-heimspiel-in-hockenheim-technik-updates-und-getriebe-entwarnung-8465627.html wrote: "Unser Hauptaugenmerk lag darauf, das Problem an Nicos Auto zu verstehen und sicherzustellen, dass es nicht mehr auftritt", so Lowe. "Wie immer haben wir sehr viel Arbeit in die Fehlersuche gesteckt und eine Lösung für Hockenheim gefunden."
"Our main focus was on understanding the problem at Nico's car and ensure that it not longer occurs" said Lowe. "As usual, we have put a lot of work in the troubleshooting and found a solution for Hockenheim."

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Thanks for sharing and the translation!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Thunder

Hockenheim 2014 Thursday via AMuS:

Nice shot of the rear end.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

dren

Is it carbon fiber casing, or just a cover?
Honda!

scarbs
scarbs

dren wrote:Is it carbon fiber casing, or just a cover?
Kind of both, what you see is the carbon structure that supports the suspension. Inside is a separate titanium part that houses the gearbox.

stefan_
stefan_

Germany 2014 - Thursday (17.07.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

dren

scarbs wrote:
dren wrote:Is it carbon fiber casing, or just a cover?
Kind of both, what you see is the carbon structure that supports the suspension. Inside is a separate titanium part that houses the gearbox.
Thanks scarbs. I remember Merc going that route last year, but this looked like it could be all carbon fiber past the front titanium component.
Honda!

Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot wrote:Can anyone confirm MB has been running their Fric system at all circuits this year? I had heard it was not in use at every track so far but cannot confirm the source as entirely reliable.

Confirmed by Lewis @ 1:42 that Fric was indeed not run a Silverstone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnL9u17 ... Mn7rlYg-VA

OO7
OO7

Ferraripilot wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:Can anyone confirm MB has been running their Fric system at all circuits this year? I had heard it was not in use at every track so far but cannot confirm the source as entirely reliable.

Confirmed by Lewis @ 1:42 that Fric was indeed not run a Silverstone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnL9u17 ... Mn7rlYg-VA
He may have been talking about the Silverstone test.

NathanOlder

Wether it was the grand prix or the test, he said it made no difference. But he did say it could be track specific. I dont see hockenheim being too different to Silverstone, so dont expect anything other than a Merc 1-2
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC