Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Duke

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

They wouldn't run it if it 'made no difference'.

Kiril Varbanov

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

Not so sure about that picture, how is that any different to this at Silverstone where they ran FRIC...

seinfeld
seinfeld

Clear brake fluid!

FRIC has been ran for years by most teams. How can the FIA say it was done to cut costs and not be political Mercs struggled in FP1 with stiffened suspension to maintain ride heights etc.

If it was to save cash why didn't they ask mercedes to supply the whole feild with their FRIC ?

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

And just another one for comparison, from Barcelona....

pmneo
pmneo

Here is one from Canada with a plugged tube:

And here from Spain with two plugged tube's:

SiLo

Merc really didn't look like they were struggling to me... Not with Hamilton spanking Rosberg in the first and second sectors then screwing up the final one.

Can't see any difference between all of the pictures there, though they might have simply drained the system of any fluid because they can physically take it out?
Felipe Baby!

Harsha
Harsha

SiLo wrote:Merc really didn't look like they were struggling to me... Not with Hamilton spanking Rosberg in the first and second sectors then screwing up the final one.

Can't see any difference between all of the pictures there, though they might have simply drained the system of any fluid because they can physically take it out?
Frankly it didn't looking like Spanking
Rosberg is Not pushing through S2 and Hamilton is not pushing through S3 to show their hand to other now
Expect the same through the Season

ooABoo
ooABoo

SiLo wrote:Merc really didn't look like they were struggling to me... Not with Hamilton spanking Rosberg in the first and second sectors then screwing up the final one.

I thought the difference in the pics was the connectors at the top - the pics show none, none,1 and 2 respectively - i presume these are different configs to do with FRICS and same axle interconnects.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

scarbs wrote:
dren wrote:Is it carbon fiber casing, or just a cover?
Kind of both, what you see is the carbon structure that supports the suspension. Inside is a separate titanium part that houses the gearbox.
If memory serves me correctly, this is to allow changes to the suspension pick ups without having to replace/redesign the gearbox housing?

Just a guess that if done cleverly, it also might allow for a slightly quicker gearbox swap.

turbof1

flyboy2160 wrote:
scarbs wrote:
dren wrote:Is it carbon fiber casing, or just a cover?
Kind of both, what you see is the carbon structure that supports the suspension. Inside is a separate titanium part that houses the gearbox.
If memory serves me correctly, this is to allow changes to the suspension pick ups without having to replace/redesign the gearbox housing?

Just a guess that if done cleverly, it also might allow for a slightly quicker gearbox swap.
Correct. The solution dates back to last year:

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... /1069.html
#AeroFrodo

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

The ones with hoses connected look as though their just charging the system up, I seriously doubt they run with those... Look at the size & the routing of them, their tailing off outside the bodywork, probably to a separate system that the disconnect.

techF1LES

The new seamless downshift system on the factory Mercedes

In Peter Windsor's latest interview with Craig Scarborough, they raised very interesting talking point which seems to went unnoticed in this forum (correct me if I'm wrong).

Reportedly Mercedes introduced new gearbox in Austria and thanks to this upgrade now runs also seamless downshifts with zero torque loss (yeah downshifts, not only upshifts).

I understand that Ferrari already tested some kind of this transmission technology during 2014 winter testing - using MGU-K to match output and input shaft speeds.

fast forward to 8:00 for discussion about seamless downshifts

Godius

If I'm not mistaking FIf1 are using the Mercedes gearbox but do they also have this version available with seamless downshift mechanism?

techF1LES

From what Peter Windsor is saying, I think it's exclusive only for the factory Mercedes. Probably FIF1 still uses previous specification.