Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
deterherligt
deterherligt

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

mf_fer wrote:First post here, recently registered but I do have been reading some threads here for a while, having justified myself for any newby mistake here's my question.

Today, as Nico locked his left front wheel which gave him some "on the limit" vibrations after due to the flat spot(s) the lock wasn't just a case of a locked wheel dragging and then releasing, it happened at least 3 times in that short amount of time. That reminded me of the operating principles of abs in cars.

Know, I know an F1 one driver is well capable of managing his brakes, but it also occurred to me if the portion of braking provided by the energy recovery system could be electronically tuned to reproduce such effect and therefore minimize or distribute a huge flat spot on the tire over smaller ones.
F1 drivers pump the brake to imitate abs IIRC

Waywardism
Waywardism

Yes it's called cadence braking, but I think he wants to know if it's possible to reproduce the effect or either that or ABS via programming of the ERS braking.

JDC123
JDC123

deterherligt wrote:
mf_fer wrote:First post here, recently registered but I do have been reading some threads here for a while, having justified myself for any newby mistake here's my question.

Today, as Nico locked his left front wheel which gave him some "on the limit" vibrations after due to the flat spot(s) the lock wasn't just a case of a locked wheel dragging and then releasing, it happened at least 3 times in that short amount of time. That reminded me of the operating principles of abs in cars.

Know, I know an F1 one driver is well capable of managing his brakes, but it also occurred to me if the portion of braking provided by the energy recovery system could be electronically tuned to reproduce such effect and therefore minimize or distribute a huge flat spot on the tire over smaller ones.
F1 drivers pump the brake to imitate abs IIRC
The rear brakes being brake by wire means they are digitally controlled, so either on or off, so the pumping to imitate ABS only applies to front brakes. A system could be put in place to create an ABS action but it would most definitely be illegal.

mf_fer
mf_fer

Are you saying they are using brake by wire - to produce abs[/quote]

As Waywardism, asking if it is possible is more like what I was hopping to express.

I don't even know if that would be the best way to deal with that problem even if the system would allow itself to be configured for that purpose.

Edit: as Waywardism said*

NTS
NTS

JDC123 wrote:The rear brakes being brake by wire means they are digitally controlled, so either on or off,
You misunderstood the electronically controlled part. They are not on / off, they are still being applied more or less depending on the pedal position. The electronics just compensate for the amount of "brake" force that the MGU-K uses for charging the batteries.

So it's up to the driver to press the pedal with the right force to decelerate while not locking the wheels.

Morteza

Formula1.com
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Dreameagl
Dreameagl

prince wrote:http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/08/24/ ... ed-brakes/

A Statement by Brembo, in conjunction with Merc points to the root cause of Lewis' brake glazing problem.
That is a mash up of two separate issues/incidents. The catastrophic brake failure in Germany and the glazing issue in Spa. Since the original statement says that they already implemented a countermeasure to prevent a reoccurrence of the catastrophic failure from Germany, the change can't be addressing the glazing issue in Spa.

strad

I do not believe it is just the rears that are "by Wire". Its front and rear and still controlled by pedal position and pressure,, same as the fly by wire throttle in your modern car.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

l4mbch0ps
l4mbch0ps

Only the rear brakes are brake by wire, due to the influence of the KERS recovery on the rear brake usage.

kooleracer
kooleracer

Did anyone noticed that Mercedes might got there gearing wrong? After Eau Rouge the car found it hard the accelerate after taking the hill. The lack of power from the really long 7th gear came in effect. The Williams/Ferrari and even the Red Bull were quicker on the straight after Eau Rouge. It really hurt the first sector laptimes for Mercedes this weekend.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a ratio change for Monza.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Hovepeter
Hovepeter

kooleracer wrote:Did anyone noticed that Mercedes might got there gearing wrong? After Eau Rouge the car found it hard the accelerate after taking the hill. The lack of power from the really long 7th gear came in effect. The Williams/Ferrari and even the Red Bull were quicker on the straight after Eau Rouge. It really hurt the first sector laptimes for Mercedes this weekend.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a ratio change for Monza.
i am not a formula one expert for at start, but i think that the mercedes cars do drive with a lot of downforce, and there for drag on their car. then they have more grip in the corners, their tyres holds better and because of their pu they are still fast enough in the straits :) :)

someone please correct me if i am wrong :D

SectorOne

Yes they ran way more downforce then say Red Bull for example.
When both teams run either high or low DF you´ll see the power-gap come back again.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

kooleracer
kooleracer

SectorOne wrote:Yes they ran way more downforce then say Red Bull for example.
When both teams run either high or low DF you´ll see the power-gap come back again.
This has nothing to do with drag. If the have more DF then they would have higher topspeed going in Eau and maintain on the straight. But I listened on the onboard and I could hear the engine sort of stalling exiting Eau Roughe going on the camel straight. There were maxing out on 6 approaching Eau Rogue therefore forced to go the 7th gear but, that being a long gear it failed coming out of Eau Rouge it sort off bogged down.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Juzh

SectorOne wrote:Yes they ran way more downforce then say Red Bull for example.
Probably true, however something ERS related has definitely changed on the RB10 giving them a lot more speed on the straights.

SectorOne

kooleracer wrote:This has nothing to do with drag. If the have more DF then they would have higher topspeed going in Eau and maintain on the straight. But I listened on the onboard and I could hear the engine sort of stalling exiting Eau Roughe going on the camel straight. There were maxing out on 6 approaching Eau Rogue therefore forced to go the 7th gear but, that being a long gear it failed coming out of Eau Rouge it sort off bogged down.
Drag always plays a part. Run less wing on the Merc and it would as you say "bog down" less because there´s less resistance.
Gearing probably played a part as well as you have a locked set which has to accommodate every type of corner on the calendar so some will be optimal, some less so.

It´s also worth pointing out Rosberg was fastest in the speed trap on Sunday.
Don´t think he was fastest down to Les Combes though.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"